Open Letter On Donald Trump From GOP National Security Leaders

"We the undersigned, members of the Republican national security community, represent a broad spectrum of opinion on America’s role in the world and what is necessary to keep us safe and prosperous. We have disagreed with one another on many issues, including the Iraq war and intervention in Syria. But we are united in our opposition to a Donald Trump presidency. Recognizing as we do, the conditions in American politics that have contributed to his popularity, we nonetheless are obligated to state our core objections clearly:

His vision of American influence and power in the world is wildly inconsistent and unmoored in principle. He swings from isolationism to military adventurism within the space of one sentence.

His advocacy for aggressively waging trade wars is a recipe for economic disaster in a globally connected world.

His embrace of the expansive use of torture is inexcusable.

His hateful, anti-Muslim rhetoric undercuts the seriousness of combating Islamic radicalism by alienating partners in the Islamic world making significant contributions to the effort. Furthermore, it endangers the safety and Constitutionally guaranteed freedoms of American Muslims.

Controlling our border and preventing illegal immigration is a serious issue, but his insistence that Mexico will fund a wall on the southern border inflames unhelpful passions, and rests on an utter misreading of, and contempt for, our southern neighbor."

More at link

Open Letter on Trump from GOP National Security Leaders

it is signed by

Ken Adelman
David Adesnik
Michael Auslin
Mike Baker
Christopher Barton
Kevin W. Billings
Robert D. Blackwill
Daniel A. Blumenthal
Max Boot
Ellen Bork
Anna Borshchevskaya
Joseph A. Bosco
Michael Chertoff
Patrick Chovanec
James Clad
Eliot A. Cohen
Gus Coldebella
Carrie Cordero
Michael Coulter
Chester A. Crocker
Patrick M. Cronin
Seth Cropsey
Tom Donnelly
Daniel Drezner
Colin Dueck
Eric Edelman
Joseph Esposito
Charles Fairbanks
Richard A. Falkenrath
Peter D. Feaver
Niall Ferguson
Richard Fontaine
Aaron Friedberg
Dan Gabriel
Greg Garcia
Jana Chapman Gates
Jeffrey Gedmin
Reuel Marc Gerecht
James K. Glassman
David Gordon
Christopher J. Griffin
Mary R. Habeck
Paul Haenle
Melinda Haring
Robert Hastings
Rebeccah Heinrichs
Francis Q. Hoang
Rachel Hoff
Jeffrey W. Hornung
William C. Inboden
Jamil N. Jaffer
Ash Jain
Marc C. Johnson
Myriah Jordan
Robert G. Joseph
Tim Kane
Kate Kidder
Robert Kagan
Rep. Jim Kolbe
David Kramer
Stephen Krasner

Matthew Kroenig
Frank Lavin
Philip I. Levy
Philip Lohaus
Mary Beth Long
Peter Mansoor
John Maurer
Matthew McCabe
Bryan McGrath
Richard G. Miles
Paul D. Miller
Charles Morrison
Michael B. Mukasey
Scott W. Muller
Lester Munson
Andrew S. Natsios
Michael Noonan

Tom Nichols
John Noonan
Roger F. Noriega
Stephen E. Ockenden
John Osborn
Robert T. Osterhaler
Mackubin T. Owens
Daniel Pipes
Everett Pyatt
Martha T. Rainville
Stephen Rodriguez
Marc A. Ross
Nicholas Rostow
Michael Rubin
Daniel F. Runde
Benjamin Runkle
Richard L. Russell
Andrew Sagor
Kori Schake
Randy Scheunemann
Gary J. Schmitt
Gabriel Schoenfeld
Russell Seitz
Kalev I. Sepp
Vance Serchuk
David R. Shedd
Gary Shiffman
Kristen Silverberg
Michael Singh
Ray Takeyh
Jeremy Teigen
William H. Tobey
Frances F. Townsend
Jan Van Tol
Daniel Vajdich
Ruth Wedgwood
Albert Wolf
Julie Wood
Dov S. Zakheim
Roger Zakheim
Sam Zega
Philip Zelikow
Robert B. Zoellick
Laurence Zuriff

and they are REPUBLICANS. (not that fact matters to the radical right)

dumb donald is dangerous.

Leave it to a far left drone to use a far left rag site that is the equivalent of the onion!
The statement above was coordinated by Dr. Eliot A. Cohen, former Counselor of the Department of State (2007–8), and Bryan McGrath, Managing Director of The FerryBridge Group, a defense consultancy. They encourage other members of the Republican foreign policy and national security communities wishing to sign the declaration to contact them.
WOTR didn't write the letter or sign it; they just published it. This was not an opinion piece by WOTR. It was an opinion piece by the 121 Republicans who wrote and signed it. You can't use that argument this time.

thank you.

and *that* is the reality... thank you. it is easy for extremists to discount that reality because it doesn't suit their talking points.
It's a bit early in the morning, but I haven't seen any actual arguments countering what is in the letter here, which is typical with these shit slingers. I'm beginning to lose any respect for the conservative point of view until someone starts actually explaining why these concerned Republicans are wrong. Calling us names is not going to do the trick.
It's their opinion, they are entitled to it and nobody needs your respect. Who do you think you are?
They aren't expressing an opinon on their candidate. They are trying to insult and drive away people they disagree with by personal bullying and harrassment. And you call Hillary a communist!

In the upcoming debates:

Trump: Someone got killed in Benghazi while my opponent was the head of Department of State!

Hillary: :rolleyes: Yea, that's the tragedies that sometimes happen in the volatile world out there. I was tasked with dealing with that world on America's behalf, while the Donald was busy out here failing to wind up Trump magazine and Trump steaks.

My opponent is beyond inexperienced, he is so inept and crude at foreign policy matters even REPUBLICAN National security experts reject his candidacy. Let me repeat this gain - Republican experts at foreign policy are so scared of their Republican nominee they are willing to write an open letter about it to warn you how dangerous he would be for American interests.

Game/Set/Match

Last edited:
"We the undersigned, members of the Republican national security community, represent a broad spectrum of opinion on America’s role in the world and what is necessary to keep us safe and prosperous. We have disagreed with one another on many issues, including the Iraq war and intervention in Syria. But we are united in our opposition to a Donald Trump presidency. Recognizing as we do, the conditions in American politics that have contributed to his popularity, we nonetheless are obligated to state our core objections clearly:

His vision of American influence and power in the world is wildly inconsistent and unmoored in principle. He swings from isolationism to military adventurism within the space of one sentence.

His advocacy for aggressively waging trade wars is a recipe for economic disaster in a globally connected world.

His embrace of the expansive use of torture is inexcusable.

His hateful, anti-Muslim rhetoric undercuts the seriousness of combating Islamic radicalism by alienating partners in the Islamic world making significant contributions to the effort. Furthermore, it endangers the safety and Constitutionally guaranteed freedoms of American Muslims.

Controlling our border and preventing illegal immigration is a serious issue, but his insistence that Mexico will fund a wall on the southern border inflames unhelpful passions, and rests on an utter misreading of, and contempt for, our southern neighbor."

More at link

Open Letter on Trump from GOP National Security Leaders

it is signed by

Ken Adelman
David Adesnik
Michael Auslin
Mike Baker
Christopher Barton
Kevin W. Billings
Robert D. Blackwill
Daniel A. Blumenthal
Max Boot
Ellen Bork
Anna Borshchevskaya
Joseph A. Bosco
Michael Chertoff
Patrick Chovanec
James Clad
Eliot A. Cohen
Gus Coldebella
Carrie Cordero
Michael Coulter
Chester A. Crocker
Patrick M. Cronin
Seth Cropsey
Tom Donnelly
Daniel Drezner
Colin Dueck
Eric Edelman
Joseph Esposito
Charles Fairbanks
Richard A. Falkenrath
Peter D. Feaver
Niall Ferguson
Richard Fontaine
Aaron Friedberg
Dan Gabriel
Greg Garcia
Jana Chapman Gates
Jeffrey Gedmin
Reuel Marc Gerecht
James K. Glassman
David Gordon
Christopher J. Griffin
Mary R. Habeck
Paul Haenle
Melinda Haring
Robert Hastings
Rebeccah Heinrichs
Francis Q. Hoang
Rachel Hoff
Jeffrey W. Hornung
William C. Inboden
Jamil N. Jaffer
Ash Jain
Marc C. Johnson
Myriah Jordan
Robert G. Joseph
Tim Kane
Kate Kidder
Robert Kagan
Rep. Jim Kolbe
David Kramer
Stephen Krasner

Matthew Kroenig
Frank Lavin
Philip I. Levy
Philip Lohaus
Mary Beth Long
Peter Mansoor
John Maurer
Matthew McCabe
Bryan McGrath
Richard G. Miles
Paul D. Miller
Charles Morrison
Michael B. Mukasey
Scott W. Muller
Lester Munson
Andrew S. Natsios
Michael Noonan

Tom Nichols
John Noonan
Roger F. Noriega
Stephen E. Ockenden
John Osborn
Robert T. Osterhaler
Mackubin T. Owens
Daniel Pipes
Everett Pyatt
Martha T. Rainville
Stephen Rodriguez
Marc A. Ross
Nicholas Rostow
Michael Rubin
Daniel F. Runde
Benjamin Runkle
Richard L. Russell
Andrew Sagor
Kori Schake
Randy Scheunemann
Gary J. Schmitt
Gabriel Schoenfeld
Russell Seitz
Kalev I. Sepp
Vance Serchuk
David R. Shedd
Gary Shiffman
Kristen Silverberg
Michael Singh
Ray Takeyh
Jeremy Teigen
William H. Tobey
Frances F. Townsend
Jan Van Tol
Daniel Vajdich
Ruth Wedgwood
Albert Wolf
Julie Wood
Dov S. Zakheim
Roger Zakheim
Sam Zega
Philip Zelikow
Robert B. Zoellick
Laurence Zuriff

and they are REPUBLICANS. (not that fact matters to the radical right)

dumb donald is dangerous.

These are the RINOs that ruined the GOP. They are the reason we got Trump. This does not make Trump dangerous, only an idiot thinks that. Hillary's corruption is likely more of a problem.

no. *you* are the RINO's.

they are republicans.

and they're much smarter than you are.

facts matter in the real world.

If they are so smart then they should realize they aren't Republicans and head on over to the Democrats. If they are so smart they should realize they lost. Boo hoo poor babies didn't get Jeb or John.

except that they ARE republicans. they are not insane

your making things up does not change reality....even for drug-addled loons

Pfffft. What did I make up jillian? Come on. Except for your insult laden canned responses you never post anything worthwhile.

Come on. In my post where did I lie?
What else would you expect from the low information, low productivity, low expectation party?

Leave it to a far left drone to use a far left rag site that is the equivalent of the onion!
The statement above was coordinated by Dr. Eliot A. Cohen, former Counselor of the Department of State (2007–8), and Bryan McGrath, Managing Director of The FerryBridge Group, a defense consultancy. They encourage other members of the Republican foreign policy and national security communities wishing to sign the declaration to contact them.
WOTR didn't write the letter or sign it; they just published it. This was not an opinion piece by WOTR. It was an opinion piece by the 121 Republicans who wrote and signed it. You can't use that argument this time.

thank you.

and *that* is the reality... thank you. it is easy for extremists to discount that reality because it doesn't suit their talking points.
It's a bit early in the morning, but I haven't seen any actual arguments countering what is in the letter here, which is typical with these shit slingers. I'm beginning to lose any respect for the conservative point of view until someone starts actually explaining why these concerned Republicans are wrong. Calling us names is not going to do the trick.
It's their opinion, they are entitled to it and nobody needs your respect. Who do you think you are?

their opinion is based on their expertise and on reality.

keep thinking that way.... it's why you lose national elections and we're all making fun of you
What jellyheads make fun of makes no difference. Many more than that support Trump so by your definition they have no expertise. That makes you breathtakingly stupid, it's like being ridiculed by a 4 year old.

In the upcoming debates:

Trump: Someone got killed in Benghazi while my opponent was the head of Department of State!

Hillary: :rolleyes: Yea, that's the tragedies that sometimes happen in the volatile world out there. I was tasked with dealing with that world on America's behalf, while the Donald was busy out here failing to wind up Trump magazine and Trump steaks.

My opponent is beyond inexperienced, he is so inept and crude at foreign policy matters even REPUBLICAN National security experts reject his candidacy. Let me repeat this gain - Republican experts at foreign policy are so scared of their Republican nominee they are willing to write an open letter about it to warn you how dangerous he would be for American interests.

Game/Set/Match

Donald: And you fucked up Egypt and betrayed our ally Mubarak. You forced the Muslim Brotherhood on Egyptians. They now hate the US with a passion. Egyptians came to their senses and arrested the MB and Morsi who will now spend the rest of his life in jail.

Hillary: Ruh roh. You noticed?

Donald: Then trying to spread your bullshit Arab Spring around you removed Gaddafi and the terrorists in Libya are now running the state including ISIS. And now the Libyans hate us.

Hillary: Ruh roh. You noticed?

Donald: Oh and then still not giving up on the Arab Spring you and that asshole you call Mr. President decided you needed to depose President Assad and you aided and abetted arming terror groups in Syria errrrrrrrrrrrrrr rebels and gave the whole world ISIS.

And now Syrians hate our guts.

Hillary: Ruh roh. But I'm going to take in the millions we displaced in the Middle East. They'll love us then.

Donald: Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight you stupid old bitch. You gave us ISIS. Fuck you.

What jellyheads make fun of makes no difference. Many more than that support Trump so by your definition they have no expertise. That makes you breathtakingly stupid, it's like being ridiculed by a 4 year old.

Lame "defense" of Trump and his acolytes........lame even for YOUR low standards.

Donald: And you fucked up Egypt and betrayed our ally Mubarak. You forced the Muslim Brotherhood on Egyptians. They now hate the US with a passion. Egyptians came to their senses and arrested the MB and Morsi who will now spend the rest of his life in jail.

Hillary: ...

Hillary: Preposterous, it seems my opponent gets his assertions from random people on the internet forums, while NOT random people, the REPUBLICAN National security advisers tell America in no uncertain terms that they prefer me, their political opposition's nominee over Donald Trump. That is the sort of scary, unprecedented disaster they think HIS foreign policy will be.

Sure Nately, the left isn't even worried.

...oh wait.

Stupid response........Do the simple math.....

Will Latinos be voting for Trump?
Will blacks be voting for Trump?
Will Muslims be voting for Trump?
Will the LGBT communities be voting for Trump?
How many democrats will be voting for Trump?
How many women who like control of their own bodies be voting for Trump?
How many independents will be voting for Trump?

face it, all you nitwits have is old, white, under-educated white guys....and their obedient wives....and THAT just ain't enough.

...oh wait.

face it, all you nitwits have is old, white, under-educated white guys....and their obedient wives....and THAT just ain't enough.
Took you a while to cobble that together huh? Where's the evidence?

Hillary said it best......

You can bait Donald Trump with a tweet, are you going to give him a nuclear weapon?

How will Hillary sell the nuclear codes? Will it be a silent auction, or open bids? If Iran outbids ISIS, does that mean Hillary well sell them instantly to Iran, or will she try to arrange extra funding for ISIS to up the bribe amount?

How will Hillary sell the nuclear codes? Will it be a silent auction, or open bids? If Iran outbids ISIS, does that mean Hillary well sell them instantly to Iran, or will she try to arrange extra funding for ISIS to up the bribe amount?

Fantastic....yeah, run on that platform about Clinton selling the codes......A real "winner" of a strategy..

(Nah, no desperation among right wingers.....LOL)

If Trump doesn't win, Hillary will place our nuclear launch codes up for sale to the highest bidder, including ISIS.

Why can't you convince Republican security experts of that?

Oh that's right, because it's just a figment of your silly imagination not grounded in any sanity.

Why the fuck would Hillary do that? You really think she needs money?

Hillary said it best......

You can bait Donald Trump with a tweet, are you going to give him a nuclear weapon?
Yup.

Now, will the actual GOP leadership pressure Trump to step off the ticket? Or will we hand the Whitehouse and the Senate over to the dems for 8 more years?

I'm worried. Since trump is the only one who can defeat Isis, what if he doesn't win? Believe me! Lol

If Trump doesn't win, Hillary will place our nuclear launch codes up for sale to the highest bidder, including ISIS.
No one's listening to you or Trump anymore. I'm hearing it from everybody today. You fucking lost. And it's going to get worse.

Hillary: ...

Hillary: Preposterous, it seems my opponent gets his assertions from random people on the internet forums, while NOT random people, the REPUBLICAN National security advisers tell America in no uncertain terms that they prefer me, their political opposition's nominee over Donald Trump. That is the sort of scary, unprecedented disaster they think HIS foreign policy will be.

Donald: The truth is out there. Information does not have to be gleaned from message boards. The Arab Spring was an abysmal failure. Refugees are on the move across the planet. People are being tortured to death and killed in Iraq and Syria. ISIS was formed on your watch and the CIA assisted and abetted under your orders to give weapons and monies from Turkey, Qatar and Saudi Arabia to fund terror groups in Syria and terrorism is becoming a daily occurrence in Europe.

To paraphrase Mr. Butler, Frankly Hillary I don't give a damn that those supposed Republican security advisers prefer you to me.

PS antontoo. I can back up everything I say with links. And you? Apart from your opinions what do you have?

...oh wait.

Well you've missed Latinos for Trump.

You've missed blacks and Muslims and the LGBT community for voting for Trump. Milo leads one yuuuuuuuuge LGBT organization for Trump.

How do you miss all these things? And by the way. The Dems need old white under educated white guys too. Because you silly poster, all the minorities put together won't win the Presidency.

You really need to stop slagging whites. You need them.

Donald: The truth is out there. Information does not have to be gleaned from message boards.

Game/set/match

Look tinydancer, you may have some idea about the way the world works in your head, but bi-partisan rejection of Trump by foreign policy experts puts Hillary on a winning offensive anytime Trump opens his mouth on the topic.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back