Only 47% Of Working Age Americans Have Full Time Jobs

Nuebarth, did you really apply for 37,00 jobs in 5 years? My father held roughly 5 or 6 jobs between the age of 45 and 60. Not bagging on him, but he was fired from a few of them. Always had another job withing a month or so. He didn't make 6 figures, but a livable wage. Never had an issue getting another job. He just retired last year, so he had new jobs during up and down economies. Did you ask for 10 hours a week and a starting salary of 500,000 a year? How in the world did you not get a job? I smell a liar..........or someone with a horribly pessimistic attitude of life in general. I'm sorry.
What field was your father in?

My father was Chief of Dentistry for the South Pacific.

In all of my applications, I sent my resume and applied for anything that I was qualified for.
With AT&T, I managed their statewide company networks. I also managed their call center for company related trouble calls (I was the manager over the testers, not the call screeners.). I also just for the fun of it was a main frame computer operator on both day time operations and night time batch shift. As a Naval Officer, I was a Nuclear Weapons Officer, Ballasting Officer, Damage Control Officer as well as a Nuclear Reactor Plant Operator. I applied for every and any job. On jobs that did not require massive background, I "simplified" my resume when I sent it in. I applied for call center work, setting up computers on desktops, mainframe operations, server operations, National Cemetery staff. I applied for jobs in Afghanistan, Iraq and North Africa. Almost anything that you could conceive of I applied for, with over half of the jobs with the Federal Government and State Government. NOTHING! NOT ONE REQUEST FOR AN INTERVIEW!

Federal and state governments are the worst at age discrimination. If you are over fifty, don't even waste your time sending in a resume. They simply will not talk to you. On my officer evaluations I had straight Upper One percent evaluations that enticed the Navy to offer me two plus years of paid Post Grad School in Monterrey. I turned it down because AT&T hired me out of the Navy. It does not matter one iota how good your evaluations say you are, the young people doing the screening of resumes are trained to look at your years of military service (from to) and trash your resume if you are judged to be over fifty.

Now, you might ask, why did I apply to all of these jobs? The answer is simple. My pet peeve is the dishonesty of government when it comes to employment. They lie about everything. We have laws against age discrimination, sex discrimination, race discrimination, yet they are not enforced by the government for government jobs. Age discrimination abounds. Race discrimination abounds. I can show you government offices in the SF Bay area where everybody is Asian (not one White, Black or Hispanic even though they are present in the local population where the office is situated.). If they are not discriminating, how in hell do they only hire Asians?

Knowing that people who are over fifty are heavily unemployed, I have written to numerous directors of personnel and asked them how many people have they hired in the past year who were over fifty. Unless the position was CEO or CFO, the answer is almost always ZERO.

The outrageous unemployment numbers that the Government is trying to feed the public are not a conspiracy as Pinko likes to say. It is just the result of gross government ineptitude and a "I don't give a damn" attitude of the data compilers. If they actually surveyed the public, they would find that there are well over 30 million unemployed or vastly underemployed people in the US. Many of the underemployed are working short term part time jobs. (painting rooms for people, making repairs to houses or cars for cash, gardening....). If you are a head of household, you can not support a family on that, but millions of family men are doing that to get by. Things are really ugly out there.

Recession my ass. Recovery my ass.

This is a depression that is progressively getting worse and will eventually topple The Great Depression. The American Dream and the middle class is in a persistent vegetative state. How much longer until the doctor pulls the plug?

You people ever read what you post?

Part time employed for non-economic reasons: 18.184 million people. Non-economic reasons include school or training, retirement or Social Security limits on earnings, but also childcare problems and family or personal obligations.

Read more: Only 47% Of Working Age Americans Have Full Time Jobs

That NILF figure is crazy. :eusa_eh:

"Not In Labor Force": 85.2 Million people.

"Not in the labor force (NILF). A person who did not work last week, was not temporarily absent from a job, did not actively look for work in the previous 4 weeks, or looked but was unavailable for work during the reference week; in other words, a person who was neither employed nor unemployed." (Clearly, this does include lot of unemployed people).

So basically if an unemployed person hasn't looked for a job in the past month, they're out of the labor force--even if the WOULD take a job?

How does the BLS know whether or not someone has looked for work? :confused:

But this makes me wonder just how many people are working for straight cash.

That NILF number it total bullshit. Because of the present Depression, lots of people are working for cash. None of them have ever been called in the government survey. I suspect that a lot of them do not have phones and are thus ignored by the Gov. If they can't call you up, you do not exist and therefore, do not qualify as a number in their data.

That NILF number it total bullshit. Because of the present Depression, lots of people are working for cash.
What does that have to do with anything? People are just asked if they worked or are looking for work. How they're paid or if they report income is irrelevant.

I suspect that a lot of them do not have phones and are thus ignored by the Gov. If they can't call you up, you do not exist and therefore, do not qualify as a number in their data.

So now you're admitting the survey occurs? How can you claim people are ignored in a survey you claim doesn't exist? But in any case...from the Handbook of Methods
Collection Methods
Each month, during the calendar week containing the 19th day, interviewers contact a “responsible” person in each of the sample households in the CPS. At the time of the first enumeration of a household, the interviewer visits the household and prepares a roster of the household members, including their personal characteristics (date of birth, sex, race, ethnic origin, marital status, educational attainment, veteran status, and so on) and their relationship to the person maintaining the household. The interviewers enter this information into laptop computers. This roster is then checked for accuracy and brought up to date at each subsequent interview to take account of new or departed residents, changes in marital status, and similar items. The information on personal characteristics is thus available each month for identification purposes and for cross-classification with economic characteristics of the sample population.

Personal visits are preferred in the first month in which the household is in the sample. In other months, the interview generally is conducted by telephone. Approximately 70 percent of the households in any given month are interviewed by telephone. A portion of the households (10 percent) is interviewed via computer-assisted telephone interviewing (CATI), from three centralized telephone centers (located in Hagerstown, MD; Jeffersonville, IN; and Tucson, AZ) by interviewers who also use a computerized questionnaire.
Bolding mine
In other words, housing units are selected, then the interviewer goes out there for the interview. In some cases the unit is now a business or no longer exists, and thus excluded.

Recession my ass. Recovery my ass.

This is a depression that is progressively getting worse and will eventually topple The Great Depression. The American Dream and the middle class is in a persistent vegetative state. How much longer until the doctor pulls the plug?

Wow what a great source! OF BULL SHIT! Come douche bag hacker, if you want to convince people things are bad its not hard, but don't toss a mountain of shit that not even the biggest conservatives will believe.

I stopped reading you crap article when its said it considered 16 years in the numbers! Um they are highschoolers douche bag, so do you really expect them to work full time?

Fucking moron!

The outrageous unemployment numbers that the Government is trying to feed the public are not a conspiracy as Pinko likes to say.
Actually, you're the one that's saying it's a conspiracy if the survey is faked. It would require thousands of people from all levels of government from BLS, Labor, Commerce, the Census, Congress and the President to fake a survey like that.

It is just the result of gross government ineptitude and a "I don't give a damn" attitude of the data compilers. If they actually surveyed the public, they would find that there are well over 30 million unemployed or vastly underemployed people in the US.
If they don't give a damn, then how are they making up such detailed numbers as you're claiming they're doing? If there's no survey, that would be even more work to give as much detail at all levels and to make it say what you want.

Forum List

Back