One of the dumbest things in sports is happening right now

Mr. Friscus

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2020
and that is, in NCAA football.

The season builds, the big games happen, the conference championships game happen, the CFP makes their selection....

.... and then, we wait a freaking month before any of the playoff games are played.

Talk about a dud, blue balls, and killing momentum. I can see two weeks to build the hype train.. but a MONTH?

The season builds, the big games happen, the conference championships game happen, the CFP makes their selection....

.... and then, we wait a freaking month before any of the playoff games are played.

Talk about a dud, blue balls, and killing momentum. I can see two weeks to build the hype train.. but a MONTH?
They have to hype them to make maximum bank. The only advantage I see for waiting that long is that banged up players have a better chance to heal and play. After what happened to FSU this year I suspect the playoff is going to expand sooner rather than later. I'm a Bama fan and I'm pumped that this team is going to get a chance to play for it all, but I can't deny FSU has a strong argument that they were screwed.

They have to hype them to make maximum bank. The only advantage I see for waiting that long is that banged up players have a better chance to heal and play.
But a month gets them all out of rhythm, and is a horrible undesireable time-out for the fans.
After what happened to FSU this year I suspect the playoff is going to expand sooner rather than later.
Next year it goes to 12
I'm a Bama fan and I'm pumped that this team is going to get a chance to play for it all, but I can't deny FSU has a strong argument that they were screwed.
Not based on CFP listed and known charter. The decision makes perfect sense if you read what they base their decisions on.

We just have ignorant, whimsical pundits and social media influencers who are oddly shocked that the CFP followed what it said it was.

That's not the only thing that sucks about it.

Yeah kind of a buzz kill, eh?

Sure they could. But the traditions of New Years bowl game is long and storied.
So are selecting national champions via committee.. which was dumb so we moved on from that.

This harms the product as far as getting players out of rhythm and bringing the momentum of the season to a screeching halt for fans.

Are you advocating that this is a good idea?

I think they got the right 4 teams.

And I think it will be a great playoff. Michigan and Alabama will be a helluva game. So will Washington and Texas.

So are selecting national champions via committee.. which was dumb so we moved on from that.

This harms the product as far as getting players out of rhythm and bringing the momentum of the season to a screeching halt for fans.

Are you advocating that this is a good idea?

As they have done for decades and decades. For every bit of "rhythm" that is lost, a player gets back to top form and injuries healed.

Don’t worry the 12 team PO will solve this

I believe the Bowl games should be as intended in hyping the host city and for the bowl committees to reward the players and their fans for their successful seasons through arranging special events for their entertainment. It's good to have the time off for players to heal and allow fans to arrange a visit. College football shouldn't imitate the NFL.

I believe the Bowl games should be as intended in hyping the host city and for the bowl committees to reward the players and their fans for their successful seasons through arranging special events for their entertainment. It's good to have the time off for players to heal and allow fans to arrange a visit. College football shouldn't imitate the NFL.
2 weeks, yes

4 freaking weeks? Stop it

Thats how its been for 100 years

Where have you been?

The playoffs evolved from the traditional New Year’s Day bowl games

And the idea of a national champion from that

College football already has. It is money officially money now. If we did not know it before. In the past I would believe it was 99% sure that the top two teams in the rankings at the end of the season would be the best in NCAA Division 1 College Football. Some would argue what one of the two teams were at the top. Now they argue if a couple of teams do not get a spot in the 4 selected. Its possible the new alignments with more teams in conferences will make them competitive and they will be closer to parity. With 12 teams in the tournament and seeing the top two in the finals every year from it will not be good either.

Forum List

Back