"One in a Blue Moon" - On New Year's Eve!

JenyEliza

Princess of Rhetoric
Nov 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA, USA
"Blue Moon" to Shine on New Year's Eve

For the first time in almost 20 years, a bright "blue moon" will grace New Year's Eve celebrations worldwide. (Take a moon myths quiz.)

If the skies are clear, revelers looking up at midnight will get an eyeful of the second full moon of the month—commonly called a blue moon. The last time a blue moon appeared on New Year's Eve was in 1990, and it won't happen again until 2028.

NEAT!!! :D

Read the whole article at the link above.

Just thought I'd share....

There's gonna be a Blue Moon tomorrow night for New Year's Eve, for the most of us...(in the western hemisphere! January 1st for those in Australia)

It is so beautiful tonight up here...though cold as cold can be! Tomorrow, and the next day and the day after that we are suppose to get a Blizzard that won't go away...maybe 2 feet of snow if all the weather fronts combine as they are predicting, so we will probably not be able to see the Blue Moon. :( But tonight, it is just a beautiful star and moon filled sky! I wish I could figure out how to take good, clear pics of the night sky....my camera just does not take pics in the dark....-or I just don't know what setting to put it on?

Rare New Year's Eve 'blue moon' to ring in 2010
AP

By ALICIA CHANG, AP Science Writer Alicia Chang, Ap Science Writer – Tue Dec 29, 7:03 pm ET

LOS ANGELES – Once in a blue moon there is one on New Year's Eve. Revelers ringing in 2010 will be treated to a so-called blue moon. According to popular definition, a blue moon is the second full moon in a month. But don't expect it to be blue — the name has nothing to do with the color of our closest celestial neighbor.

A full moon occurred on Dec. 2. It will appear again on Thursday in time for the New Year's countdown.

"If you're in Times Square, you'll see the full moon right above you. It's going to be that brilliant," said Jack Horkheimer, director emeritus of the Miami Space Transit Planetarium and host of a weekly astronomy TV show.

The New Year's Eve blue moon will be visible in the United States, Canada, Europe, South America and Africa. For partygoers in Australia and Asia, the full moon does not show up until New Year's Day, making January a blue moon month for them.

However, the Eastern Hemisphere can celebrate with a partial lunar eclipse on New Year's Eve when part of the moon enters the Earth's shadow. The eclipse will not be visible in the Americas.Rare New Year's Eve 'blue moon' to ring in 2010 - Yahoo! News

It's pretty cold here in northwestern Illinois tonight. I don't know so much about the moon being blue but I have some swinging twins in my shorts that are blue from the cold!

Wow. I didn't realize how cold it got in Maine. Even the Moon turns blue!

Actually, the moon doesn't turn blue.

It just looks blue because the cold freezes the fluid in our eyeballs into round icecubes...and viewing the moon through the ice gives it a bluish coloration.

a little bit more....

New Year's: Once In A Blue Moon
digg Share this on Facebook Huffpost - stumble reddit del.ico.us RSS
Read More: Blessings, Blue Moon, Ceremony, Cleansing, New Decade, New Year, Possibility, Promise, Ritual, Living News

The last day of 2009 is a doozy -- triply auspicious. Not only is it the eve of a new year, a new decade no less, there will be a full moon, a lunar eclipse and a blue moon to boot.

When a month is graced with two full moons, the second one is called a blue moon. You know, the once in a blue moon blue moon. The blue moon cycle is 2.72 years, making it a special, if not rare or unexpected occasion. The last blue moon month was May 2007 and the next will occur in August 2012.

On average, there will be 41 months that have two full moons in every century, so once in a blue moon actually means "once every two-and-nearly-three-quarters years."

Since calendar months of 30 and 31 days are longer than the actual period between one full moon and the next, which is 29.53 days, the surplus hours and days of each month, each year, accumulate until eventually there is an "extra" full moon in one month. Rather like a leap moon, a blue moon is a great big bouncing blue bonus.

Which is not to say that it looks blue. That sort of blue moon is altogether another phenomenon, wherein the light of the moon appears to be tinted blue. That effect is actually caused by atmospheric pollution created by particles -- usually smoke, sand, or volcanic dust -- from a terrestrial disturbance, which creates a color filter effect. The latest blue-looking moons were created by forest fires in the American west and oil field fires in Iraq.

Although blue moons do not cast an actual blue shadow, their very existence is a symbolic celestial reminder, a message out of the blue, as it were. A radio signal from the Great Goddess of Outer Space to us -- Her very naughtiest and sometimes least sentient children. She is broadcasting a plea for our loving attention.

If, on the night of a cerulean moon, we close our eyes and sit very still, take in great draughts of air, sigh deeply and open our hearts, we will be able to hear Lady Luna sing the blues. Broken-hearted, She watches down on our out-of-whack world, and She weeps.

And Her pain is our pain. In losing our connection to the moon and Her cycles, we have lost track of our own. We have forgotten how to live in conscientious sync with the workings of the world.

We no longer see ourselves as active and response-able participants in the connective universal plan, but rather, the boss of it. Ironically, this leaves us feeling disturbed, disempowered, disconnected, disconcerted, dismayed and disheartened. Powerless. Stripped spiritually naked and scared to death. This is not only sad it is dangerous. Donna Henes: New Year's: Once In A Blue Moon

I read about this yesterday. Hopefully, I will remember to check out the moon tomorrow night.

Immie

There's gonna be a Blue Moon tomorrow night for New Year's Eve, for the most of us...(in the western hemisphere! January 1st for those in Australia)

It is so beautiful tonight up here...though cold as cold can be! Tomorrow, and the next day and the day after that we are suppose to get a Blizzard that won't go away...maybe 2 feet of snow if all the weather fronts combine as they are predicting, so we will probably not be able to see the Blue Moon. :( But tonight, it is just a beautiful star and moon filled sky! I wish I could figure out how to take good, clear pics of the night sky....my camera just does not take pics in the dark....-or I just don't know what setting to put it on?

Does your camera have a bulb setting? If so, get a cable release and a tripod and take a 30-60 second exposure of the moon. For moonless nights, take a longer exposure to get star trails. However, you're battery might not last very long in the cold.

It will be interesting to see how it effects the crowd at Times Square.

Forum List

Back