On this day The great American Robert E Lee

The South preferred an illegal attempt at separation rather than a legal, Constitutional process in its desire to annul the Perpetual Union. They chose war over reason. That is simple rebellion. Add to that the slavery issue, and everything about their treason loses any possible virtue.

What is the legal process for secession? (this is the first I have heard this claim, btw)

There is no constitutional method of succession, but to me the obvious method would be a reverse of the process of admitting States, i.e. congress votes on it.

The claim that the Civil War was over States rights is correct, the thing that is ignored is that State right was Slavery, almost every State that left specifically said in the letter leaving the Union they left BECAUSE of Slavery.
Bulll SHIT ,, Democrats wanted to leave most of the southern shad no slaves and didn’t want them.. it was the big mouth reps.. not the people
You can not change facts. No matter what lies or untruths you tell. The South left because Lincoln was elected and they thought he would abolish slavery.

The real issue was the banning of slavery in all new territories, which would lead to only new "free" States being admitted. This would eventually lead to enough States to pass an amendment banning slavery, which is what the South really feared.

The South preferred an illegal attempt at separation rather than a legal, Constitutional process in its desire to annul the Perpetual Union. They chose war over reason. That is simple rebellion. Add to that the slavery issue, and everything about their treason loses any possible virtue.

What is the legal process for secession? (this is the first I have heard this claim, btw)

There is no constitutional method of succession, but to me the obvious method would be a reverse of the process of admitting States, i.e. congress votes on it.

So, there4eyeM's claim that there is a legal Constitutional process that the South should have followed,

is incorrect?

So, there4eyeM's claim that there is a legal Constitutional process that the South should have followed,

is incorrect?

Yes. There is no implicit means of succession. The best you have is a reverse of the admittance process, and since that has never been tried we don't know if it would work.

One must get the permission of Congress to withdraw.

Where does it say that?

Quite clearly, the legal process would be to make an amendment to the Constitution. It is not a new idea.

Quite clearly, the legal process would be to make an amendment to the Constitution. It is not a new idea.

But what they wanted to do, had nothing to do with amending the Constitution.

Query: What organizations are you a member of, that you are not allowed to leave, without their permission, under pain of death?

Query: What organizations are you a member of, that you are not allowed to leave, without their permission, under pain of death?

It had everything to do with changing the fundamental rules; i.e., the Constitution of the Perpetual Union. The great minds of that epoch understood English. The only legal way out was to change the definition of the Union.

It had everything to do with changing the fundamental rules; i.e., the Constitution of the Perpetual Union. The great minds of that epoch understood English. The only legal way out was to change the definition of the Union.

Where is that "fundamental rule" written in the Constitution?

View attachment 297223 On this Day April 20, 1861

Colonel Robert E. Lee resigns from the United States army two days after he was offered command of the Union army and three days after his native state, Virginia, seceded from the Union.

Lee opposed secession, but he was a loyal son of Virginia. His official resignation, sent to Secretary of War Simeon Cameron, was only one sentence but he wrote a longer explanation to his friend and mentor, General Winfield Scott, later that day. Lee had fought under Scott during the Mexican War (1846-48), and he revealed to his former commander the depth of his struggle. Lee spoke with Scott on April 18, and explained that he would have resigned then “but for the struggle it has cost me to separate myself from a service to which I have devoted the best years of my life and all the ability I possess.” Lee expressed gratitude for the kindness shown him by all in the army during his 25-year service, but Lee was most grateful to Scott. “To no one, general, have I been as much indebted as to yourself for uniform kindness and consideration…” He concluded with this poignant sentiment: “Save in the defense of my native State, I never desire again to draw my sword.”

Arlington, Washington City P.O.
April 20, 1861

General:

Since my interview with you on the 18th instant I have felt that I ought not longer to retain my commission in the Army. I therefore tender my resignation, which I request you will recommend for acceptance.

It would have been presented at once, but for the struggle it has cost me to separate myself from a service to which I have devoted all the best years of my life & all the ability I possessed.

During the whole of that time, more than 30 years, I have experienced nothing but kindness from my superiors, & the most cordial friendship from my companions. To no one Genl have I been as much indebted as to yourself for uniform kindness & consideration, & it has always been my ardent desire to merit your approbation.

I shall carry with me to the grave the most grateful recollections of your kind consideration, & your name & fame will always be dear to me. Save in the defense of my native State, I never desire again to draw my sword.

Be pleased to accept my most earnest wishes for the continuance of your happiness & prosperity & believe me most truly yours

R. E. LeeView attachment 297223
Traitor who chose a slave country over the Union

You
View attachment 297223 On this Day April 20, 1861

Colonel Robert E. Lee resigns from the United States army two days after he was offered command of the Union army and three days after his native state, Virginia, seceded from the Union.

Lee opposed secession, but he was a loyal son of Virginia. His official resignation, sent to Secretary of War Simeon Cameron, was only one sentence but he wrote a longer explanation to his friend and mentor, General Winfield Scott, later that day. Lee had fought under Scott during the Mexican War (1846-48), and he revealed to his former commander the depth of his struggle. Lee spoke with Scott on April 18, and explained that he would have resigned then “but for the struggle it has cost me to separate myself from a service to which I have devoted the best years of my life and all the ability I possess.” Lee expressed gratitude for the kindness shown him by all in the army during his 25-year service, but Lee was most grateful to Scott. “To no one, general, have I been as much indebted as to yourself for uniform kindness and consideration…” He concluded with this poignant sentiment: “Save in the defense of my native State, I never desire again to draw my sword.”

Arlington, Washington City P.O.
April 20, 1861

General:

Since my interview with you on the 18th instant I have felt that I ought not longer to retain my commission in the Army. I therefore tender my resignation, which I request you will recommend for acceptance.

It would have been presented at once, but for the struggle it has cost me to separate myself from a service to which I have devoted all the best years of my life & all the ability I possessed.

During the whole of that time, more than 30 years, I have experienced nothing but kindness from my superiors, & the most cordial friendship from my companions. To no one Genl have I been as much indebted as to yourself for uniform kindness & consideration, & it has always been my ardent desire to merit your approbation.

I shall carry with me to the grave the most grateful recollections of your kind consideration, & your name & fame will always be dear to me. Save in the defense of my native State, I never desire again to draw my sword.

Be pleased to accept my most earnest wishes for the continuance of your happiness & prosperity & believe me most truly yours

R. E. LeeView attachment 297223
Traitor who chose a slave country over the Union
Lol he had a all black school in his home lol he was anti slavery .. sorry buddy

Where does it say that?
That is what is required just like to join and the Supreme Court so ruled.

Where does it say that?

So, it is not there, and the Supreme Court just "ruled" it so?

Was that before or after the War?

Where does it say that?

Common sense says if it took an act of Congress to join it takes an act of Congress to leave.Texas sued in 1869.

Where does it say that?

Common sense says if it took an act of Congress to join it takes an act of Congress to leave.Texas sued in 1869.

Common sense says that if you can join an organization voluntarily, then you can leave it the same way,

unless clearly stated otherwise.

Forum List

Back