On the Pleasure of Hating.

Can you do self deprecation?

I doubt it.
There’s nothing special about me.

I have no idea why people keep thinking I believe there is. It is probably because they believe they are special.

Still trying to fry brains, with your convolutions?
Do you believe that you are special?

You can stop that crap, for a start.
I’ll take that as a yes you do believe you are special and on some level you know it is inherently wrong to do so.

The Ding Show.

:bowdown:
It’s a real shame that the clique rejects you. You would fit right in.

You think I'm special though, don't you?

:4_13_65:
No one is. Sorry.

Such a relief.

But you're doing it all wrong.
That wouldn’t be the first time and it probably won’t be the last.

Pray tell, what is the right way?

When I find out, I'll let you know.

The People You Hate Are Determined by How Intelligent You Are

hate-intelligence-768x506.jpg

Prejudice is as old as humanity itself. Every day we find our minds leaning to hating others for many reasons.

The People You Hate Are Determined by How Intelligent You Are

"The remarkable thing is that we really love our neighbors as ourselves: we do unto others as we do unto ourselves. We hate others when we hate ourselves. We are tolerant of others when we tolerate ourselves. We forgive others when we forgive ourselves." Eric Hoffer

"Humans universally make Us/Them dichotomies along lines of race, ethnicity, gender, language group, religion, age, socioeconomic status, and so on. And it’s not a pretty picture. We do so with remarkable speed and neurobiological efficiency; have complex taxonomies and classifications of ways in which we denigrate Thems; do so with a versatility that ranges from the minutest of microaggression to bloodbaths of savagery; and regularly decide what is inferior about Them based on pure emotion, followed by primitive rationalizations that we mistake for rationality. Pretty depressing."

Overcoming Us vs. Them

Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst' by Robert M. Sapolsky

"The trouble with Eichmann was precisely that so many were like him, and that the many were neither perverted nor sadistic, that they were, and still are, terribly and terrifyingly normal. From the viewpoint of our legal institutions and of our moral standards of judgment, this normality was much more terrifying than all the atrocities put together." Hannah Arendt

What did Hannah Arendt really mean by the banality of evil? | Aeon Ideas

Philosophically speaking, no one loves to hate.

People hate because they are angry that their worldview is incorrect. Then, they hate anyone or anything that might "upset" their desired version of reality.

The pleasure of hating, like a poisonous mineral, eats into the heart of religion, and turns it to rankling spleen and bigotry; it makes patriotism an excuse for carrying fire, pestilence, and famine into other lands: it leaves to virtue nothing but the spirit of censoriousness, and a narrow, jealous, inquisitorial watchfulness over the actions and motives of others. What have the different sects, creeds, doctrines in religion been but so many pretexts set up for men to wrangle, to quarrel, to tear one another in pieces about, like a target as a mark to shoot at? Does any one suppose that the love of country in an Englishman implies any friendly feeling or disposition to serve another bearing the same name? No, it means only hatred to the French or the inhabitants of any other country that we happen to be at war with for the time. Does the love of virtue denote any wish to discover or amend our own faults? No, but it atones for an obstinate adherence to our own vices by the most virulent intolerance to human frailties. This principle is of a most universal application. It extends to good as well as evil: if it makes us hate folly, it makes us no less dissatisfied with distinguished merit. If it inclines us to resent the wrongs of others, it impels us to be as impatient of their prosperity. We revenge injuries: we repay benefits with ingratitude. Even our strongest partialities and likings soon take this turn.

"That which was luscious as locusts, anon becomes bitter as coloquintida;" and love and friendship melt in their own fires. We hate old friends: we hate old books: we hate old opinions; and at last we come to hate ourselves.

Wm. Hazlitt - "On The Pleasure Of Hating" (c.1826).
Walk your talk.

The pleasure of hating, like a poisonous mineral, eats into the heart of religion, and turns it to rankling spleen and bigotry; it makes patriotism an excuse for carrying fire, pestilence, and famine into other lands: it leaves to virtue nothing but the spirit of censoriousness, and a narrow, jealous, inquisitorial watchfulness over the actions and motives of others. What have the different sects, creeds, doctrines in religion been but so many pretexts set up for men to wrangle, to quarrel, to tear one another in pieces about, like a target as a mark to shoot at? Does any one suppose that the love of country in an Englishman implies any friendly feeling or disposition to serve another bearing the same name? No, it means only hatred to the French or the inhabitants of any other country that we happen to be at war with for the time. Does the love of virtue denote any wish to discover or amend our own faults? No, but it atones for an obstinate adherence to our own vices by the most virulent intolerance to human frailties. This principle is of a most universal application. It extends to good as well as evil: if it makes us hate folly, it makes us no less dissatisfied with distinguished merit. If it inclines us to resent the wrongs of others, it impels us to be as impatient of their prosperity. We revenge injuries: we repay benefits with ingratitude. Even our strongest partialities and likings soon take this turn.

"That which was luscious as locusts, anon becomes bitter as coloquintida;" and love and friendship melt in their own fires. We hate old friends: we hate old books: we hate old opinions; and at last we come to hate ourselves.

Wm. Hazlitt - "On The Pleasure Of Hating" (c.1826).
Walk your talk.

You must be positively orgasmic, the wallowing in hate you do.

Don't change the subject. You're the one who started a thread about understanding "hate". Yet you do none of that with me. You don't even try. You hate my guts so much, we can't even have a civil conversation.

Don't change the subject. You're the one who started a thread about understanding "hate". Yet you do none of that with me. You don't even try. You hate my guts so much, we can't even have a civil conversation.

So you lost the will to live?

Forum List

Back