On "Mandatory Evacuations".....

--------------------- We pay you public servants and its my opinion that you are paid too well and i especially don't like it when you start ordering Taxpayers about . I consider government employees to be the same as the 'kings' men of old Harry . Government people will generally do anything for the money Harry .
We pay you public servants
you never paid me....
and its my opinion that you are paid too well
im sure that whatever you do you are overpaid too.....
i especially don't like it when you start ordering Taxpayers about
you must have me mixed up with someone else....i never "ordered" anyone about...
Government people will generally do anything for the money Harry
like that makes them so much different than civilian people....
------------------------------- doing anything for money , well generally speaking certain gov employees have power OVER regular taxpayers and thats what makes them worse than regular taxpayers Harry . Right now , government people are ordering or trying to order Americans about in part of Carolina . My and other taxpayers TAXES are WHY you ALL get paid Harry and quite often you get paid way to much because and one of my biggest complaints because of Public Unions Harry .
like i said you dont pay me anything....and i bet you would not do what i did for 15 an hour.....
------------------------------------------------ you know Harry , taxpayers pay your wages and benefits don't you ?? And 15 an hour was paid to many people many years ago , i am thinking certain private industry years and years ago Harry .
no they dont.....and like i said you would not do what i did for 15 an hour....oh and just to let you know,many years ago things were different.....
--------------------------------------- one of my many many many comments has always been that the new upcoming generations are fecked and that mighta included your generation . And i've that many many many times Harry .

We pay you public servants
you never paid me....
and its my opinion that you are paid too well
im sure that whatever you do you are overpaid too.....
i especially don't like it when you start ordering Taxpayers about
you must have me mixed up with someone else....i never "ordered" anyone about...
Government people will generally do anything for the money Harry
like that makes them so much different than civilian people....
------------------------------- doing anything for money , well generally speaking certain gov employees have power OVER regular taxpayers and thats what makes them worse than regular taxpayers Harry . Right now , government people are ordering or trying to order Americans about in part of Carolina . My and other taxpayers TAXES are WHY you ALL get paid Harry and quite often you get paid way to much because and one of my biggest complaints because of Public Unions Harry .
like i said you dont pay me anything....and i bet you would not do what i did for 15 an hour.....
------------------------------------------------ you know Harry , taxpayers pay your wages and benefits don't you ?? And 15 an hour was paid to many people many years ago , i am thinking certain private industry years and years ago Harry .
no they dont.....and like i said you would not do what i did for 15 an hour....oh and just to let you know,many years ago things were different.....
--------------------------------------- one of my many many many comments has always been that the new upcoming generations are fecked and that mighta included your generation . And i've that many many many times Harry .
whats this word fecked mean?.....

It also means that emergency officials will not respond to emergency calls in mandatory evacuation areas.

Is this for me? Because that might be what it is in TEXTBOOKS, but in the real world, like already in New Bern, First Responders are putting their lives at risk for people who were under mandatory evacuations and ignored them.

Oh and jillian, they look to be mostly Black. Could they all be Black Trump supporters? I guess. But not likely.

It also means that emergency officials will not respond to emergency calls in mandatory evacuation areas.

Is this for me? Because that might be what it is in TEXTBOOKS, but in the real world, like already in New Bern, First Responders are putting their lives at risk for people who were under mandatory evacuations and ignored them.

Oh and jillian, they look to be mostly Black. Could they all be Black Trump supporters? I guess. But not likely.

Why do you have to be racial? One of the things that has come out in the past few days is that some people do not have the financial resources to leave and stay elsewhere for several days. Why has money been taken from FEMA and the Coast Guard to prop up the misdeeds of ICE? Why are the refugees from Puerto Rico being dumped out onto the streets? Where are they supposed to go?

RACIAL , so now its a problem to speak Truth and Facts Lysis ?? Thank you for adding good info to this thread as Facts , Truth and Reality is the most important thing there is SSue . .

RACIAL , so now its a problem to speak Truth and Facts Lysis ?? Thank you for adding good info to this thread as Facts , Truth and Reality is the most important thing there is SSue . .
So you don't understand that some people do not have adequate financial resources to go stay somewhere else when something like this happens? People who may not have cars, much less credit cards to flip at a hotel or a gas station? Why did Sweet Sue raise racial issues in her comment? You go ask her.

So you don't understand that some people do not have adequate financial resources to go stay somewhere else when something like this happens? People who may not have cars, much less credit cards to flip at a hotel or a gas station? Why did Sweet Sue raise racial issues in her comment? You go ask her.
--------------------------------------------- FREE Country and America [and looks like this board] has Freedom of Speech and last but not least it looks like she wanted to racially identify the people that she racially identified , Its just facts and reality that she saw with her own 2 eyes Lysis .

Why do you have to be racial? One of the things that has come out in the past few days is that some people do not have the financial resources to leave and stay elsewhere for several days. Why has money been taken from FEMA and the Coast Guard to prop up the misdeeds of ICE? Why are the refugees from Puerto Rico being dumped out onto the streets? Where are they supposed to go?
Shelters. They are free and open to the public. Geesh. Bunch of hurricane amateurs

Shelters. They are free and open to the public. Geesh. Bunch of hurricane amateurs

Please explain why refugees from Puerto Rico are being dumped out onto the street when the scum Are in the White House did nothing for them. Please explain the response of the orange whore to the plight of Puerto Ricans. Please explain why money was taken from FEMA and the Coast Guard to fund the disgusting conduct of ICE? And just what does race have anything to do with this all? Don't we worry about our fellow Americans?

Oh give it a rest. She wanted to blame them for being Trump supporters. I simply pointed out that they were unlikely to all be Trump supporters, being mostly black.

Please explain why refugees from Puerto Rico are being dumped out onto the street when the scum Are in the White House did nothing for them. Please explain the response of the orange whore to the plight of Puerto Ricans. Please explain why money was taken from FEMA and the Coast Guard to fund the disgusting conduct of ICE? And just what does race have anything to do with this all? Don't we worry about our fellow Americans?
--------------------------------- you are talking about 'puerto ricans' is what you are doing and things like infrastructure in 'pr' were falling down long before the hurricane . I'll get you some info Lysis . --- Puerto Rico warned power grid 'literally falling apart' before Maria hit ---

Last edited:

Your post is an absolute lie or you are in the running for the dumbest poster of the year award.

The facts put up on the efforts were presented and are the Truth.............and the efforts and funding were massive. PERIOD.

This is nothing more than leftist propaganda to try and create Outrage before an election with the hopes of doing to Trump what was done to Bush after Katrina............

FEMA and our military did a great job after Maria..........and to say otherwise is a LIE.

News Releases

JUNO BEACH, Fla., Jan. 8, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Florida Power & Light Company (FPL) today announced 140 additional company lineworkers and support staff deployed to Puerto Rico to help restore power to areas impacted by Hurricane Maria's landfall. Hundreds of thousands of people remain without electric service nearly four months after the destructive storm devastated the island

"As part of FPL's commitment to helping restore electric service to our fellow Americans in Puerto Rico, our dedicated employees worked tirelessly throughout the holidays – both on the island and here at home – to prepare for this next wave of support," said Eric Silagy, president and CEO of FPL. "Providing mutual assistance is a staple of the energy industry, and our thoroughly trained, well-equipped lineworkers are ready to hit the ground running once they arrive in Puerto Rico. We know just how difficult it is to be without power, which is why we are prepared to remain in Puerto Rico for as long as our assistance and expertise is requested."

All of the island's 3.5 million residents lost power due to Hurricane Maria in late September. FPL lineworkers and staff are part of a nearly 1,500-person contingent of electric workers from across the country. In late December, FPL began to transport vehicles and electric equipment via barges to Puerto Rico from the Port of Fort Pierce in St. Lucie County, Fla.

The company's lineworkers and support staff will work with the 10-person FPL Incident Management Team (IMT) that has been working in Puerto Rico since Dec. 10. FPL employees represent one of seven IMT assigned to seven regions across the island in coordination with the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority (PREPA), the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and electric company contractors who already are restoring power. FPL's IMT will continue to support power restoration in the region of Bayamon, just west of San Juan

FPL's support of power restoration in Puerto Rico began after the company completed its own restoration in the aftermath of Hurricane Irma. In the days immediately following Hurricane Maria, NextEra Energy, FPL's parent company, donated $100,000 and matched the same amount from employee donations to help those affected by the storm. Many employees also held fundraisers and supply drives to assist those impacted across the island.

"We feel a responsibility to help speed power restoration in Puerto Rico, partly because many of our customers and employees have strong ties to the island, but largely because it's the right thing to do," said Manny Miranda, senior vice president of power delivery for FPL. "Having completed the unprecedented restoration of more than 4.4 million FPL customers following Hurricane Irma, I am confident our highly skilled team of lineworkers, management and support staff will quickly begin making a difference for so many of our fellow Americans."

Operationally, FPL coordinated the delivery of thousands of power line poles and other equipment to Puerto Rico and accompanied Florida Gov. Rick Scott to the island in November. Since that time, FPL leadership has remained in Puerto Rico where it has been providing technical expertise and guidance to support the restoration effort. Gov. Scott has made the support of Puerto Rico's citizens a top priority in the wake of Hurricane Maria, communicating regularly with Gov. Ricardo Rosselló, traveling to the island to offer the state's assistance, and regularly meeting with and being briefed by FPL.

Army Engineers continue significant progress in Puerto Rico hurricane recovery operations

By the numbers:

The Power Planning and Response Team, personnel from USACE's Albuquerque District and Soldiers from the 249th Engineer Battalion have installed 364 generators at critical facilities and have another 41 installations in progress, according to Reginald Bourgeois, the mission manager for the Temporary Power Team.

Each generator is supporting a critical function. For example, one generator is providing power for the Guaynabo Hospital, a 150-bed facility that sees 40,000 patients a year. Two others are supporting the water pump stations in Manati, Puerto Rico, providing fresh water for a 44,000-resident community. In total, the team has installed generators to support 48 hospitals, 190 water-treatment plants, and 44 wastewater facilities, as well as 30 emergency services centers and the 9-1-1 call center.

The Debris Planning and Response Team, personnel from USACE's New Orleans District, working with more than 220 locally hired contractors have cleared miles of debris from roads and have picked up and properly disposed of more than 62,542 cubic yards of debris, according to Jasmine Smith, the mission manager for the Debris Team.

FEMA has allocated up to $255 million for debris removal. The team has been tasked to complete debris removal within 39 of the 78 municipalities in the territory. Debris removal consists of the pickup, hauling and disposal of construction and demolition (building materials, furniture, metals, etc.) vegetative debris, household hazardous waste, and white goods (refrigerators, dryers, stoves, etc.).

Another aspect of the Recovery Field Office's mission is the temporary roofing initiative, known as "blue roofs" because of the blue plastic material used. The blue roofs are designed to provide temporary protection from the elements so the residents may return from hurricane shelters, safely inhabit their homes and reduce the chance of further damage from the elements. Hurricane Maria damaged the roofs of thousands of homes, hospitals and other critical infrastructure across Puerto Rico, according to Kevin Slattery, the mission manager for the Blue Roof Team. So far, $105 million has been designated for the program.

To be eligible for a temporary roof, the homeowner/landlord must legally agree to allow the Corps' contractors access to the property by signing a Right of Entry form. The team then assesses the home to see if the structure is eligible for a temporary roof. The Blue Roof Team has already collected more than 17,293 Right of Entry forms; conducted nearly 15,380 assessments; and installed more than 3,986 temporary roofs, Slattery said.

The Recovery Field Office is overseeing several other missions, including one that is a unique assignment for the team: performing emergency repairs to the Guajataca Dam, located near Isabella, Puerto Rico. The spillway of the Guajataca Dam was significantly damaged by Hurricane Maria's heavy rains. The dam provides flood-risk management and water supply to approximately 350,000 people.

Military conducting multiple operations to help Hurricane Maria-struck Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands

WASHINGTON – The Defense Department has dispatched about 2,600 troops to aid Hurricane Maria victims in the U.S. Virgin Islands and in Puerto Rico, where access to power and communications remained severely limited five days after the Category 4 storm struck the U.S. territory.

Helicopter-borne troops from the Kearsarge have conducted eight medical evacuation missions this week and delivered about 22,200 pounds of supplies and cargo to Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, Manning said. The Kearsarge was initially deployed to respond to Hurricane Harvey when the storm struck the Texas coast in late August. The ship has since been used to respond to Hurricane Irma and Maria.

The Pentagon on Monday also deployed eight UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters from Fort Campbell in Kentucky to San Juan to help officials in Puerto Rico distribute goods across the island, Manning said. Officials have estimated it will be months before power is restored to some parts of the island that is home to 3.4 million people.

Army Corps of Engineers Builds Levee in Puerto Rico > U.S. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE > Article

YAUCO, Puerto Rico --

Within days, the Army Corps of Engineers can move a river. They proved this recently during an emergency levee construction project here.

Fast Action

Engineers have to conduct a feasibility analysis before sending out requests for quotes. This can be a long process, depending on the complexity of the project. In the case of the Yauco levee, Corps engineers accomplished the in-depth vetting within three days.

"Our team worked late nights, all weekend." said Wilmel Varela, the resident engineer for all Corps construction and military projects in Puerto Rico. The levee will be made up of more than 10,000 cubic meters of earth. Varela needed to ensure the plan was sound and detailed enough for local contractors to be able to get to work immediately.

"Day one, [the Corps of Engineers] requested bids. Day two, we submitted ours. Day three, they selected us as the construction company. Day four, we had guys here starting work," said Gerardo Ortiz, the general contractor on site and employee of BIM Contractors, the company constructing the levee.

As a limited government conservative I don't believe the government has any right to forcibly remove you from your home, no matter how sensible it may be to leave, due to an oncoming hurricane, wildfire, flooding, etc.

However.

If you choose to stay despite being given every warning and, if need be, every provision to leave, then you do not have the right to put first responders at risk when things go bad. If you are under a mandatory evacuation order and you do not evacuate, you on your own. No 911 calls. No ambulance rescues. No fire or police services. You should assume all risk and all responsibility for sustaining your own life and the lives of your family.

What say you?
Now that the storm has made its landfall, we have the opportunity to look back at the hype surrounding the “impending” event, and the reality of the event itself. Like has happened so many times before; it turns out that this storm failed to live up to the “doomsday” level of damage many were predicting. Having lived in Florida for 14 years I’ve seen this scenario play out countless times before. As such I quickly learned that the majority of the time, the “expert predictions” are wrong, and grossly over inflated. Additionally living in an area that is prone to hurricanes; it is infinitely easier to prepare well in advance of a storm, for the problems presented by a medium, to worst case scenario. All the neccesary precautions can be taken, and put in place well in advance of “hurricane season”. As a responsible adult one has no excuse to be scrambling for resources, and to be frantically implementing safety measures mere days before the storm is upon you. More often than not one puts their families under greater stress, both financially, and emotionally trying to beat a hasty retreat; than they otherwise would from making a prudent plan of action, and properly equipping themselves for dealing with the inconveniences that such storms bring.

Forum List

Back