On "Mandatory Evacuations".....

SweetSue92

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2018
USA
As a limited government conservative I don't believe the government has any right to forcibly remove you from your home, no matter how sensible it may be to leave, due to an oncoming hurricane, wildfire, flooding, etc.

However.

If you choose to stay despite being given every warning and, if need be, every provision to leave, then you do not have the right to put first responders at risk when things go bad. If you are under a mandatory evacuation order and you do not evacuate, you on your own. No 911 calls. No ambulance rescues. No fire or police services. You should assume all risk and all responsibility for sustaining your own life and the lives of your family.

What say you?

As a limited government conservative I don't believe the government has any right to forcibly remove you from your home, no matter how sensible it may be to leave, due to an oncoming hurricane, wildfire, flooding, etc.

However.

If you choose to stay despite being given every warning and, if need be, every provision to leave, then you do not have the right to put first responders at risk when things go bad. If you are under a mandatory evacuation order and you do not evacuate, you on your own. No 911 calls. No ambulance rescues. No fire or police services. You should assume all risk and all responsibility for sustaining your own life and the lives of your family.

What say you?

My view? Obey the Law. Get out those who are willing to leave FIRST if they aren't mobile; then the kids of EVERYONE who is staying put. Then round up the recalcitrants until it is no longer safe to do so. Being stupid should not be a death sentence.

Greg

However.

What say you?
That's exactly what rescue services says.

`
The constitution is not a suicide pact - If a person decides not to voluntarily move themselves from harms way, then as a people, we have no responsibly to rescue them from their stupidity.
`

nc just moves...simple as that...the outer banks will begin moving today....some weather sites are calling for us to have 20 inches of rain....i doubt that....

The reality is that no matter what a person believes the size of government should be, if they stay behind a mandatory evacuation and are staring at a shit storm right in front of them, they are going to reach out for and accept whatever help they can get their hands on. I know I would.

However.

What say you?

My view? Obey the Law. Get out those who are willing to leave FIRST if they aren't mobile; then the kids of EVERYONE who is staying put. Then round up the recalcitrants until it is no longer safe to do so. Being stupid should not be a death sentence.

Greg
Oh, but it should. And often is. Though not often enough...

`
The constitution is not a suicide pact - If a person decides not to voluntarily move themselves from harms way, then as a people, we have no responsibly to rescue them from their stupidity.
`
Abraham Lincoln didn’t agree with this platitude...

The reality is that no matter what a person believes the size of government should be, if they stay behind a mandatory evacuation and are staring at a shit storm right in front of them, they are going to reach out for and accept whatever help they can get their hands on. I know I would.

But they made a choice to stay despite all warnings to the contrary. Their choice to stay should not put someone else's life at risk.

`
Like I care what Lincoln thought? I would not allow any services for gross stupidity.
`
`
The relevant point being that your chosen catch phrase is nothing more than an empty platitude... Additionally it’s highly unlikely that your permission is going to be sought in regard to the use of emergency services...

However.

What say you?

Greg

I agree that everyone should get out. It's sensible. And I can almost go with you on kids--I could be persuaded there, actually, I could. However. We live in an absolute free country--and I am deeply American. If you want to take your chances in dying in a 12 foot storm surge, you absolutely have that right. What you do NOT have the right to do is put anyone else's life at risk. You don't have the right to choose to ride out the storm and then get skeered later and call 911. Or you can call I guess, but don't expect rescue.

But the kids--I can go that far, I can. They are not old enough to make the choice to die. But then...well, I just won't go there. Not the thread for it.

The relevant point being that your chosen catch phrase is nothing more than an empty platitude... Additionally it’s highly unlikely that your permission is going to be sought in regard to the use of emergency services...
`
My point is, like I care what you think? "The Constitution is not a suicide pact" is a phrase in US political and legal discourse. The phrase expresses the belief that constitutional restrictions on governmental power must be balanced against the need for survival of the state and its people.
`

Last edited:
`
`

This wasn't a people who couldn't resolve their differences or whatnot. This was a well-advertised storm; the people knew the danger and chose their course. Presumably, they were even told: if you stay in your home, you're on your own.

I say fair enough. You take the risk, you assume all possible outcomes. You may be fine, you may not.

However.

What say you?

If you stay you should be billed for the rescue. Other then that who cares?

Forum List

Back