Olmert to Cabinet: We'll respond disproportionately to rocket attacks

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
PM to cabinet: We'll respond 'disproportionately' to rocket fire | Israel | Jerusalem Post

After four rockets fired from Gaza hit the South on Sunday morning, Prime Minister Ehud Olmert told the cabinet that Israel would respond firmly to the attacks.

"The cabinet's position from the outset was that if there is rocket fire at southerners, there will be a response that will essentially be disproportionate," he said.

"Two weeks have passed since Israel's decision to cease its fire in the Gaza Strip, and [the truce] was declared on two basic conditions: A complete halt in rocket fire and a stop to the smuggling of weapons to terror group through the Philadelphi Corridor," he continued. "Those were the two conditions for the cease-fire and we knew that there was a considerable chance Hamas would continue with the rocket fire."

"We won't return to the rules of the game that terror groups have tried to dictate and we won't be dragged into a never-ending shooting war," said the prime minister, stressing that Israel would not allow the rocket attacks to continue.

Olmert said he had instructed Defense Minister Ehud Barak to order the army to prepare a response. "We won't give the terror groups warning as to when and how we'll react, but Israel will respond and act at the time and place of its choosing," he said.

Olmert also referred to Thursday's decision by a Spanish judge to launch a probe of seven former top security officials for alleged war crimes in the 2002 bombing in Gaza that killed top Hamas terrorist Salah Shehadeh as well as 14 other people.

"Israeli commanders who fulfilled their duty to protect Israeli citizens and are now subject to an investigation for war crimes will get the full support of the Israeli government," he said. "Petitions like those filed in Madrid are an expression of double standards and years of closing eyes on the part of those who have ignored the continuous attacks on Israel."

Hamas spokesman Taher Nunu said Olmert's threat was an attempt by Israel to "find false pretexts to increase its aggression against the people" and to undermine Egyptian efforts to mediate a long-term cease-fire.
Meanwhile, in what may have been a veiled criticism of Barak, Foreign Minister and Kadima leader Tzipi Livni blasted those seeking to reach a settlement with Hamas.

"There are those sitting with the Hamas regime who want to reach understandings with the group, and there are those working to bring an end to the Hamas regime," she told cabinet ministers. "A settlement with Hamas would give it legitimacy, and those working for that with the Egyptians need to understand that."

Prior to the meeting, Livni called for a strong response to the morning's Kassam attacks. "We must not try to reach a settlement with Hamas, we need to act against the group with might," she said. "Israel will respond, whether a Kassam hits its target or not, and that's how I will act as prime minister."

"We need to use strength and a lot of it," continued the Kadima leader. "In my opinion, there is no reason to wait. We need a response and an immediate one."

Barak also vowed a response, but he said Israel would act with discretion.
"In election season, there is a lot of chatter by people who have never held a weapon and don't understand the conditions under which we must act," he said. "We will respond in the right way to what is happening in the Gaza Strip. The professionals under my guidance will formulate a correct response, but we have to act with discretion and responsibility. Hamas was dealt a severe blow and it will be dealt one again, but the decision needs to be made by the experts."

Shas chairman Eli Yishai said IAF planes must be sent on bombing raids over Gaza in response to every rocket attack on western Negev communities

"Hitting hundreds and thousands of terrorists' homes will teach the terror groups a lesson," he said at the cabinet meeting. "We must put a price even on firing rockets at the sea and open areas, as well as attempts to smuggle weapons and dig tunnels.

the only thing "proportional" responses get is continuing attacks.

ALL responses to physical attacks should be disproportionate. You cut off my toe, I take your fucking leg.

You kill one of us, we kill one thousand of you.

ALL responses to physical attacks should be disproportionate. You cut off my toe, I take your fucking leg.

Sounds about right to me.

Since everything Israel does seems to reflect back to America, wouldn't we have to sign off on an act of genocide ?

Since everything Israel does seems to reflect back to America, wouldn't we have to sign off on an act of genocide ?

No, does Hamas have to get Iran's permission to lob rockets into Israel?

Genocide? We're trying to prevent genocide.

No, does Hamas have to get Iran's permission to lob rockets into Israel?

Genocide? We're trying to prevent genocide.

By committing one ?

against whom? last time I checked, Hamas was not an ethnic group but rather a paramilitary/political/terrorist organization.

The suggestion was made to turn Gaza into glass. That would most certainly qualify as a genocide. But then again-It was Davids idea.

The suggestion was made to turn Gaza into glass. That would most certainly qualify as a genocide. But then again-It was Davids idea.

Do you know why I want all of Gaza leveled?

This is why:

g061215b.jpg

HamasGaza.jpg

I very much doubt there are few innocent civilians in Gaza.

Children included.

hamas_child_web.jpg

In DavidS's mind, the death of One jew is an earth shaking tragedy

But the murder of a thousand Palistinan women and children is just business as usual

Last edited:

But the murder of a thousand Palistinans is just business as usual

There is no such thing a Palestinian, even when spelled correctly. The land that was named Palestine was named back to Israel, which is what it was named for thousands of years.

Now, the death of Arabs living in Gaza is indeed business as usual until they either are all dead (I would start investing in Gaza tombstone companies) or they finally accept peace with Israel. There can no longer be an in between. Hamas chooses its own fate - not Israel.

But the murder of a thousand Palistinans is just business as usual

There is no such thing a Palestinian, even when spelled correctly. The land that was named Palestine was named back to Israel, which is what it was named for thousands of years.

Now, the death of Arabs living in Gaza is indeed business as usual until they either are all dead (I would start investing in Gaza tombstone companies) or they finally accept peace with Israel. There can no longer be an in between. Hamas chooses its own fate - not Israel.

Why don't you go to an Israeli site and have yourself a time. I'm sure you will have lots of company there and maybe even some hot jewish women.

Forum List

Back