OK What do you motorcycle guys think of a Tri-Glide?

A motorcycle and a trike are two different types of vehicles. The only thing they have in common is riding in the fresh air. Few motorcyclists have any interest in owning a trike.

You ride a MC; you drive a trike. The fun of MC riding is taking bends and corners at speed; doing the same thing on a trike is literally dangerous. A major advantage of a MC is its relatively small size. It takes up much less room in a garage or in traffic than a car. A trike takes up the same footprint as a small car.

I am 73 years old and am pondering life without a motorcycle. If I wanted to go the trike route, the Can Am Spyder F3 or Ryker are the only ones I would consider. The Harley and Goldwing based trikes are a joke. An expensive joke.

A motorcycle and a trike are two different types of vehicles. The only thing they have in common is riding in the fresh air. Few motorcyclists have any interest in owning a trike.

You ride a MC; you drive a trike. The fun of MC riding is taking bends and corners at speed; doing the same thing on a trike is literally dangerous. A major advantage of a MC is its relatively small size. It takes up much less room in a garage or in traffic than a car. A trike takes up the same footprint as a small car.

I am 73 years old and am pondering life without a motorcycle. If I wanted to go the trike route, the Can Am Spyder F3 or Ryker are the only ones I would consider. The Harley and Goldwing based trikes are a joke. An expensive joke.
And you have probably been riding for a long time.

I'm 54 and have never owned a motorcycle. I don't know how long it will take me to reach the level of experience, good reflexes and muscle memory to be be safe riding with a passenger on a long trip

Agreed. A traditionalist isn’t going to buy a trike.

I know an elderly couple who owned motorcycles for many years. Now they have a GW trike and love it. They travel long distances on it and she finds it very comfortable, as does he. To each his own.

I ride with Harley, Indians, BMWs and Goldwings. My Spyder F-3 is faster on the straights, accelerates faster and is much quicker through the twistiest than any of them and a couple of the Indian riders used to ride competitively and are much better riders than I am. Conventional trikes are slow and unhandled, reverse trikes are a whole different animal.

Rykers are good for around town, but the one guy I knew who bought one decided to come back to a Spyder.

I think that if you are a competent bicycle rider you can become competent on a MC within a few hours of riding time. I strongly recommend the MSF safety course, which is offered, free of charge, in many places. The SKILLS are no challenge at all; the real learning curve is recognizing situations that are dangerous to MC's that are no big deal in a car. Go for it.

I don't think trikes are any safer than a MC, and if you are talking about a GW or Harley trike, a MC is actually safer. My opinion, of course.

Forum List

Back