OK What do you motorcycle guys think of a Tri-Glide?

I rode my various motorcycles for fifty-two years until failing eyesight forced me to give them up. I don't advise folks who are middle aged or older to start riding motorcycles for the first time. You need to start young to develop the instincts and reflexes to ride safely.
I had bikes in my teens and twenties, but gave it up. Put lots of miles on the street bikes traveling around the country. I’m now middle aged and too old for that, but do miss it sometimes.

I think the most fun was on a 1980 Suzuki RM 125. My buddies an I loved dirt riding in northern Michigan.
1684881376486.jpeg

Restored my '80 CB 750K...Though it was spendy, I couldn't get the bike I have today for the price.
Thing is, it probably would be a good project bike as it is in pretty good shape otherwise. It is the CB750SC. Fired right up a couple years ago, but she burns oil something fierce.
20230523_174124.jpg

Just don't have the time or money. My old buddy was thinking of taking it to fix with his kid but literally died of a heart attack after he showed interest. Was gonna just give it to him. Probably get rid of it sometime this summer.

I'm terribly biased toward mid-1980s CBs and Goldwings.

The next bike I get will likely be an '83 CB 1000C or an '84 standard GW.

Were I to pick a newer bike, I'd go with a Valkyrie.
I'm starin' at a basket case sandcast 71 CB750-4 right now.

It's on the list...

I had bikes in my teens and twenties, but gave it up. Put lots of miles on the street bikes traveling around the country. I’m now middle aged and too old for that, but do miss it sometimes.

I think the most fun was on a 1980 Suzuki RM 125. My buddies an I loved dirt riding in northern Michigan.
View attachment 788114
Approaching 60 and I am still nursing this old powerhouse and my old self through the woods to get my adrenaline fix these days.
20170114_104356.jpg

97 Polaris Ultra 750 SP. Triple cyl.
I have had it over 100 a couple times before I got skeered and let off. I can rip right from my own yard onto hundreds of miles of groomed trails. It'll have to do until I get two wheels again.

I have always wanted a motorcycle but I could never justify the expense. Now that I'm retired I am thinking about a Harley Tri Glide for me and the wife. I don;t want to have to learn to ride a 2 wheel motorcycle in my mid 50's.

So how about some feedback?
My advice...take six bills and get yourself a used Chinese 49cc scooter.

No shifting... They're automatics.

Learn to ride that. In my state it's considered a moped and you don't even need a license.

I have always wanted a motorcycle but I could never justify the expense. Now that I'm retired I am thinking about a Harley Tri Glide for me and the wife. I don;t want to have to learn to ride a 2 wheel motorcycle in my mid 50's.

Turning a trike requires a fair amount of upper body strength because you can't lean the bike to help you turn. Someone mentioned sidecars, that takes a totally different set of skills to master just in turning. For people in your situation I'd recommend a Can-Am Spyder.

A good friend's wife rides one and she loves it, he rides a Harley two wheeler and I ride a Yamaha VStar 950 (I'll be 69 this month).

2000000006_480px.jpg

Here's my VStar:

VStar4.jpg
VStar2.jpg

I am 52 and ride a Dyna Fat Bob and a Softail Heritage 114. Learn how to ride a real bike and ride like a man. Trikes are for riders who are so old and in poor health they are losing their balance. Your 50s are your time to live, man. The kids are out of the house. You have money. Enjoy it. Hell, it will not take you long to learn. I taught myself in my 30s.

Thing is, it probably would be a good project bike as it is in pretty good shape otherwise. It is the CB750SC. Fired right up a couple years ago, but she burns oil something fierce.
View attachment 788115
Just don't have the time or money. My old buddy was thinking of taking it to fix with his kid but literally died of a heart attack after he showed interest. Was gonna just give it to him. Probably get rid of it sometime this summer.
Why does it smoke?...Scorch a cylinder or two?

Rear wheel trikes have some inherent safety issues that I believe are significant and should be avoided. I am not adverse to motorcycles. I've been riding for nearly 60 years. If I was in your position, I would investigate the Can Am Spyder. They are a much safer option. IMHO.

I'm terribly biased toward mid-1980s CBs and Goldwings.

The next bike I get will likely be an '83 CB 1000C or an '84 standard GW.

Were I to pick a newer bike, I'd go with a Valkyrie.
I have been riding Goldwings for over 30 years. I still ride my 99 50th Anniversary SE but I'm thinking it is time to quit. I am looking at a Can Am Spyder or a two-seater convertible.

I have been riding Goldwings for over 30 years. I still ride my 99 50th Anniversary SE but I'm thinking it is time to quit. I am looking at a Can Am Spyder or a two-seater convertible.
Get the convertible.

I'd suck dick before riding a trike or a Spyder.

Besides, there are innumerable stylish and classy looking convertibles.

Go for a Can Am Spyder instead. They are faster, get better fuel economy, are safer, have a reverse gear driven by the engine and require less maintenance. A Tri-Glide is inherently unstable like a kid’s trike, a reverse trike like a Spyder is inherently stable. I’ve never heard of anyone flipping one.

Turning a trike requires a fair amount of upper body strength because you can't lean the bike to help you turn. Someone mentioned sidecars, that takes a totally different set of skills to master just in turning. For people in your situation I'd recommend a Can-Am Spyder.

A good friend's wife rides one and she loves it, he rides a Harley two wheeler and I ride a Yamaha VStar 950 (I'll be 69 this month).

2000000006_480px.jpg

Here's my VStar:

View attachment 788121View attachment 788122
Strength isn't really a problem as I'm pretty fit.

I guess I just don't know how long it would take to get the skills to be a safe rider and be comfortable with a passenger on the bike for long trips. The last thing I need is to be injured or injure my wife because I didn't develop the reflexes and skills

Strength isn't really a problem as I'm pretty fit.

I guess I just don't know how long it would take to get the skills to be a safe rider and be comfortable with a passenger on the bike for long trips. The last thing I need is to be injured or injure my wife because I didn't develop the reflexes and skills
Years ago I thought trikes were cool but couldn't afford one, now I'm finally headed in the direction where I may have to give up riding two wheelers all together. I just wish I was in a position to buy a Can-Am but they ain't cheap.
BTW, the medical community refer to trikes as "donor bikes"............

Forum List

Back