OK What do you motorcycle guys think of a Tri-Glide?

Blues Man

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2016
I have always wanted a motorcycle but I could never justify the expense. Now that I'm retired I am thinking about a Harley Tri Glide for me and the wife. I don;t want to have to learn to ride a 2 wheel motorcycle in my mid 50's.

So how about some feedback?

I have always wanted a motorcycle but I could never justify the expense. Now that I'm retired I am thinking about a Harley Tri Glide for me and the wife. I don;t want to have to learn to ride a 2 wheel motorcycle in my mid 50's.

If it makes you and especially the lady feel more safe and comfortable why not - after all it's about enjoying, freedom some fresh air and sunshine.
However I would still suggest that you take a trial spin on a two wheeler first - it mostly depends on your physical condition and maybe ridding yourself of existing fears.

Bottom line both will be able to provide the fun you both are looking for. Have fun.

Motorcycles are two wheels. Don't buy a bike unless you can ride one. Learn to ride a smaller bike first then get a real motorcycle or not at all.

I rode my various motorcycles for fifty-two years until failing eyesight forced me to give them up. I don't advise folks who are middle aged or older to start riding motorcycles for the first time. You need to start young to develop the instincts and reflexes to ride safely.

I rode motorcycles exclusively for about three years in my early 20's. I worked for a dealer so I had the best dry rider and winter gear on the market, (yeah we use to get snow and ice in Houston back in the 80's too). I never was into road three wheelers but if you're not comfortable on two wheels, go for it. I think you'll love it.

I'm terribly biased toward mid-1980s CBs and Goldwings.

The next bike I get will likely be an '83 CB 1000C or an '84 standard GW.

Were I to pick a newer bike, I'd go with a Valkyrie.
I still have my 82 Honda Nighthawk in the garage but haven't rode it the last few years.
Engine starts, but smokes like a mosquito fogger.
Probably gonna send her to the boneyard since it really isn't worth spending more than I originally paid for it to rebuild it.
Had a blast for years on that thing. Reliable as hell.
Would like something newer, but just can't justify the expense when a newer vehicle is needed first.

I personally rode dirt bikes for years before I ever purchased a street bike. Riding those on unpredictable forest trails really prepared my riding skills for how to react to dangerous situations.

I still have my 82 Honda Nighthawk in the garage but haven't rode it the last few years.
Engine starts, but smokes like a mosquito fogger.
Probably gonna send her to the boneyard since it really isn't worth spending more than I originally paid for it to rebuild it.
Had a blast for years on that thing. Reliable as hell.
Would like something newer, but just can't justify the expense when a newer vehicle is needed first.
Restored my '80 CB 750K...Though it was spendy, I couldn't get the bike I have today for the price.

How are your lumbar and shoulders?

If you've got issue with your shoulders, and at your age it is very probable, the stress of keeping your hands up on the handlebar will irritate the rotator.
Long rides on a 2 wheeler can be stressful.

Perhaps something like this might fir your needs

xstreet-quad.jpg.pagespeed.ic._jap07llh5.webp

I think a Prius would be better ... trikes are kinda ... er ... whatever ...

These are death-traps:

Just spend a weekend learning to ride and start with something in the 300 cc to 500 cc range ... two of them ... it's not that hard as long as you stay on the roads ...
I don't see how a 2 wheel motorcycle is less of a death trap
I rode my various motorcycles for fifty-two years until failing eyesight forced me to give them up. I don't advise folks who are middle aged or older to start riding motorcycles for the first time. You need to start young to develop the instincts and reflexes to ride safely.
That was kind of my reasoning

I don't see how a 2 wheel motorcycle is less of a death trap

That was kind of my reasoning

Put that motor in a small truck ... my 1979 VW Bus had a 2 liter motor ... it was something of a dog, but that engine made the 1970's Porsche 914 go like a bat out of hell ...

Start with a Honda 350 ... or a Civic ... something with less squirrelpower ...

Forum List

Back