Ok, Jesse Helms Is NOT My Fav, But This IS SO Good!

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=536&u=/ap/20050201/ap_on_re_us/helms_clinton&printer=1

Helms Pleads to Keep Clinton Out of U.N.

13 minutes ago

By PAUL NOWELL, Associated Press Writer

CHARLOTTE, N.C - They may both be out of office, but Bill Clinton (news - web sites) remains the ultimate boogeyman for former Sen. Jesse Helms.

In a fund-raising a letter for his senatorial library, Helms invokes the specter of the former president leading the United Nations (news - web sites) after Kofi Annan (news - web sites) retires next year.

"I'm sure you might agree that putting a left-wing, undisciplined and ethically challenged former President of the United States into a position of such power would be a tragic mistake," wrote the 83-year-old Republican, who left office in 2003 after five terms.

The Associated Press obtained a copy of the letter Tuesday. It contains a petition asking President Bush (news - web sites) to "rebuke all efforts by Hillary Clinton (news - web sites), John Kerry (news - web sites), and every other liberal in Congress to push for Bill Clinton to become Secretary-General of the United Nations."

A spokesman for Clinton did not respond to a call seeking comment. Clinton has said nothing publicly about wanting to lead the U.N.

The Jesse Helms Center in Wingate, 30 miles southeast of Charlotte, has a lecture series that has attracted speakers such as Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (news - web sites) and former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. Its Web site describes it as a "nonpartisan organization" that promotes the principles espoused by Helms.

Annan appointed Clinton Tuesday to be a U.N. special envoy for tsunami reconstruction and to help resolve rebel conflicts in two of the hardest hit countries, Indonesia and Sri Lanka. The appointment will begin next month.

Slick Willie's a natural for Secretary General - a male (I won't say "man") with the morals of an alley cat, running the world's premier whorehouse.

musicman said:
Slick Willie's a natural for Secretary General - a male (I won't say "man") with the morals of an alley cat, running the world's premier whorehouse.

Got a point there. :bow2:

Some noteworthy Jesse quotes:

On Bill Clinton:

"No, I do not. And neither do the people in the armed forces. Mr. Clinton better watch out if he comes down here. He'd better have a bodyguard." - Spoken on the 31st anniversary of the Kennedy assassination when asked on CNN if he thought President Clinton was "up to the job" of serving as the commander-in-chief[11/23/94]

On "Latins":

"All Latins are volatile people. Hence, I was not surprised at the volatile reaction." - Stated by Helms after Mexicans protested his visit to Mexico in 1986 to investigate allegations of political corruption

On his beliefs:

"I fight for what I believe. If you are not willing to stand up for what you believe, your beliefs are not strong enough." (1984)
My Mom was his Campaign Manager in 1978; I liken him to my grumpy old Uncle who always says what other people are too scared to say. He has always harbored an undeniable disdain for Clinton.

drowe said:
Some noteworthy Jesse quotes:

My Mom was his Campaign Manager in 1978; I liken him to my grumpy old Uncle who always says what other people are too scared to say. He has always harbored an undeniable disdain for Clinton.

He may feel that way but even assuming the comments about him personally are true it doesnt change the truthfulness of what he is saying here.

He may feel that way but even assuming the comments about him personally are true it doesnt change the truthfulness of what he is saying here.
I agree that what he is saying is true; Jesse’s directness is a good characteristic too. Some of his views were a little off but he was a much better choice than Jim Hunt and later, Harvey Gantt.

i find it highly interesting that Clinton has been picked as Kofi's UN tsunami envoy... could this be a case of Kofi picking his successor?

I for one don't trust Clinton for shit, but besides former PM (or President?) Havel from the Czech Republic, there is no one else that could help fix the UN

NATO AIR said:
i find it highly interesting that Clinton has been picked as Kofi's UN tsunami envoy... could this be a case of Kofi picking his successor?

I for one don't trust Clinton for shit, but besides former PM (or President?) Havel from the Czech Republic, there is no one else that could help fix the UN

The only thing that could fix the UN is its abolishment.

Forum List

Back