Ok in a global marketplace how does the USA compete with offshore wages?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by uscitizen, Jul 19, 2011.

1. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    discuss.

Any ideas aside from dropping our wages to match theirs?

2. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    Shrink Government massively so we can cut taxes to near nothing.
    Add tariffs to countries that have poor ethics like slave labor and child labor.
    Add a huge tax to companies that outsource but bring products back in the US.

More or less if you’re a company in the US who has employees here and you make products here you should be paying like literally no taxes. My ideas are pretty much just off the cuff and completely open as I have not even thought it through… I’m sure there are better ways. But the main Idea is the same, make it worth it to do business here, not somewhere else and I don’t see any other way.

3. ShackledNation

ShackledNation Libertarian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +324
    We don't necessarily need to, because other countries outsource high paying jobs to the US that amount to more than double the jobs we outsource to them.* Of course, doing so would be advantageous. To make the American unskilled laborer more competitive, the first and most obvious policy would be a repeal of the minimum wage.

Gasp! Did I really say it? I must hate the poor, blacks, and all those who are disadvantaged. Actually, no. Minimum wage functions to hurt the poor and unskilled workers, not help them. If their skill is not worth the minimum wage, they simply don't get a job. Minimum wage in South Africa was implemented to keep blacks out of the workplace for that exact reason. The greatest advantage of the unskilled worker is offering lower wages. Minimum wage destroys that benefit.

*Insourcing: Millions of High Paying Jobs Replace Those That Cannot Be Saved

4. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Employee costs are far greater than tax costs to a business.

5. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    To make the American unskilled laborer more competitive, the first and most obvious policy would be a repeal of the minimum wage.

So you are saying we should lower our wages for unskilled labor to match those of 3rd world countries?
    Don't care how much is paid to those who prepare your food and such?

and you support the selling of America to foreign corporations?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  6. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,007
    Ok in a global marketplace how does the USA compete with offshore wages?

Quality and education. Two things Republicans hate with a passion.

7. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Not enough. it all boils down to profit.

8. ShackledNation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +324
    What you need to understand is that when you have a minimum wage of say $10, people who have skills worth less than that become unemployed. If a company hires 10 people who are making $5 an hour, and then minimum wage becomes $10, half the people will be laid off. Minimum wage results in the unemployment of unskilled workers, who resort to welfare. This becomes a drain on productivity. Without minimum wage, they would receive money, and they would gain valuable work experience allowing them to move up. Jobs with low wages would not be lifetime jobs, and would be best for those getting their foot in the door. This is how Chinese Americans went from being impoverished to more wealthy than whites.

The faulty premise of minimum wage is that it raises wages for everyone. It does not. It simply makes people who are unskilled unemployable. Supporters of minimum wage laws do not realize that prior to minimum wage laws the national unemployment rate did fall well below 5%. According to the US Census, national unemployment rates were 3.3% in 1927, 1.8% in 1926, 3.2% in 1925, 2.4% in 1923, 1.4% in 1919 and 1918, 2.8% in 1907, 1.7% in 1906, and 3.7% in 1902.
    Mythology of the Minimum Wage - D.W. MacKenzie - Mises Daily

The alleged moral case for a living wage ignores the fact that minimum wage increases adversely affect the very people whom advocates of living wages intend to help. It makes poor and unskilled workers even worse off.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  9. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    HUH?? unemployment rates were that low during the great depression?

10. ShackledNation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Lol. The Great Depression did not occur during the 1920s. But I will forgive your mistake.