Ok in a global marketplace how does the USA compete with offshore wages?

Shrink Government massively so we can cut taxes to near nothing.
Add tariffs to countries that have poor ethics like slave labor and child labor.
Add a huge tax to companies that outsource but bring products back in the US.

More or less if you’re a company in the US who has employees here and you make products here you should be paying like literally no taxes. My ideas are pretty much just off the cuff and completely open as I have not even thought it through… I’m sure there are better ways. But the main Idea is the same, make it worth it to do business here, not somewhere else and I don’t see any other way.

We don't necessarily need to, because other countries outsource high paying jobs to the US that amount to more than double the jobs we outsource to them.* Of course, doing so would be advantageous. To make the American unskilled laborer more competitive, the first and most obvious policy would be a repeal of the minimum wage.

Gasp! Did I really say it? I must hate the poor, blacks, and all those who are disadvantaged. Actually, no. Minimum wage functions to hurt the poor and unskilled workers, not help them. If their skill is not worth the minimum wage, they simply don't get a job. Minimum wage in South Africa was implemented to keep blacks out of the workplace for that exact reason. The greatest advantage of the unskilled worker is offering lower wages. Minimum wage destroys that benefit.

*Insourcing: Millions of High Paying Jobs Replace Those That Cannot Be Saved

Shrink Government massively so we can cut taxes to near nothing.
Add tariffs to countries that have poor ethics like slave labor and child labor.
Add a huge tax to companies that outsource but bring products back in the US.

More or less if you’re a company in the US who has employees here and you make products here you should be paying like literally no taxes. My ideas are pretty much just off the cuff and completely open as I have not even thought it through… I’m sure there are better ways. But the main Idea is the same, make it worth it to do business here, not somewhere else and I don’t see any other way.

Employee costs are far greater than tax costs to a business.

We don't necessarily need to, because other countries outsource high paying jobs to the US that amount to more than double the jobs we outsource to them.* Of course, doing so would be advantageous. To make the American unskilled laborer more competitive, the first and most obvious policy would be a repeal of the minimum wage.

Gasp! Did I really say it? I must hate the poor, blacks, and all those who are disadvantaged. Actually, no. Minimum wage functions to hurt the poor and unskilled workers, not help them. If their skill is not worth the minimum wage, they simply don't get a job. Minimum wage in South Africa was implemented to keep blacks out of the workplace for that exact reason. The greatest advantage of the unskilled worker is offering lower wages. Minimum wage destroys that benefit.

To make the American unskilled laborer more competitive, the first and most obvious policy would be a repeal of the minimum wage.

So you are saying we should lower our wages for unskilled labor to match those of 3rd world countries?
Don't care how much is paid to those who prepare your food and such?

and you support the selling of America to foreign corporations?

Last edited:
Ok in a global marketplace how does the USA compete with offshore wages?

Quality and education. Two things Republicans hate with a passion.

To make the American unskilled laborer more competitive, the first and most obvious policy would be a repeal of the minimum wage.

So you are saying we should lower our wages for unskilled labor to match those of 3rd world countries?
Don't care how much is paid to those who prepare your food and such?

and you support the selling of America to foreign corporations?
What you need to understand is that when you have a minimum wage of say $10, people who have skills worth less than that become unemployed. If a company hires 10 people who are making $5 an hour, and then minimum wage becomes $10, half the people will be laid off. Minimum wage results in the unemployment of unskilled workers, who resort to welfare. This becomes a drain on productivity. Without minimum wage, they would receive money, and they would gain valuable work experience allowing them to move up. Jobs with low wages would not be lifetime jobs, and would be best for those getting their foot in the door. This is how Chinese Americans went from being impoverished to more wealthy than whites.

The faulty premise of minimum wage is that it raises wages for everyone. It does not. It simply makes people who are unskilled unemployable. Supporters of minimum wage laws do not realize that prior to minimum wage laws the national unemployment rate did fall well below 5%. According to the US Census, national unemployment rates were 3.3% in 1927, 1.8% in 1926, 3.2% in 1925, 2.4% in 1923, 1.4% in 1919 and 1918, 2.8% in 1907, 1.7% in 1906, and 3.7% in 1902.
Mythology of the Minimum Wage - D.W. MacKenzie - Mises Daily

The alleged moral case for a living wage ignores the fact that minimum wage increases adversely affect the very people whom advocates of living wages intend to help. It makes poor and unskilled workers even worse off.

Last edited:
HUH?? unemployment rates were that low during the great depression?
Lol. The Great Depression did not occur during the 1920s. But I will forgive your mistake.

Just like the employment numbers leading up to this recession.
They called them the roaring 20's and people thought it would just keep on going.
the numbers you showed do tell us something but not what you intended.

Adn I somehow doubt their validity since many in rural america were still pretty substinance farmers and were not employed by anyone.

Last edited:
HUH?? unemployment rates were that low during the great depression?
Lol. The Great Depression did not occur during the 1920s. But I will forgive your mistake.

Just like the employment numbers leading up to this recession.
They called them the roaring 20's and people thought it would just keep on going.
the numbers you showed do tell us something but not what you intended.

Adn I somehow doubt their validity since many in rural america were still pretty substinance farmers and were not employed by anyone.
The numbers are real. It was called "The Roaring 20s." Sadly, the 1920s was largely a boom economy create by the expansion of the money supply. But none of this has to do with minimum wage. I brought up those numbers to illustrate how prior to minimum wage law the economy was much closer to full employment. A lack of minimum wage law did not have anything to do with the Great Depression.

Nevertheless, that was a small point and hardly the bulk of my argument. Do you have anything else to say in response, or is that it?

Last edited:
Eliminate ObamaCare, FinReg, Drill domestically, eliminate the US Department of Education, FDA, FinReg (yes, thats how bad it is), All of FDR Labor laws, well that's just in my first day in Office

I assume we're talking about imports into the USA and how US companies can compete. I have no data on this, but I believe labor costs in many foreign countries are rising faster than ours, as are shipping costs. So, their costs are going up. What we gotta do is work on bringing ours down.

How? Lower tax rates, less regulation, lower energy costs, lower sustainable healthcare costs, anything we can do to offer a better and more competitive price through lower production costs. And make sure the quality is superior too. We gotta be smarter and less wasteful IMHO, I think our governance totally sucks. I also think we've gotta be vigilant against unfair market practices by foreign competitors, if China or somebody is manipulating their currency or enacting higher tariffs then we have to balance it out someway. I'm a big fan of free trade, but it's also gotta be fair trade.

Eliminate ObamaCare, FinReg, Drill domestically, eliminate the US Department of Education, FDA, FinReg (yes, thats how bad it is), All of FDR Labor laws, well that's just in my first day in Office

Hmm..

Stupid People.
Rotten Food.
Unbridled corruption in the markets.
Child labor, no worker safety, no overtime, no benefits.

Sounds like the US before FDR..with no middle class.

Paradise..I tells ya..paradise.

I have not seen any workable soloutions to the problem presented in the OP yet.

Our leaders will not talk about it so I guess we do not think aobut it.
Well trained I suppose.

btw what the heck do we need child labor laws for? the children of today won't hit a lick at any kind of work.

Hmm..how to "compete".

First off no more government contracts to companies that employ more then 10% of it's workforce overseas.

Second, we threaten to pull out of trade agreements unless China stops mucking around with it's currency.

Third, we adopt a "needful technology core agreement" and recognize that financial companies that needed to be bailed out (To big to fail) are also to big to trust software engineered overseas.

Fourth, we apply the same quality standards to foreign goods that we require of domestic goods. Everything would need to undergo the same rigorous testing that domestics goods have to go through.

Fifth, our military gear could only be produced by domestic companies.

Sixth, we regain government control over all ports and entries into the country.

Seven, we adopt an import/export parity plan where some ratio depending on the trade deficit is maintained.

Forum List

Back