Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee: TCU, Boise State not worthy of BCS title shot

still seems to get the job done

Based on what? Virginia Tech is a 2 loss team. They lost to James Madison, for fuck's sake. Their biggest win came against Miami. Oregon State is a 5 loss team and is likely to lose their 6th and 7th to Stanford and Oregon in the coming weeks.

Based on what? Virginia Tech is a 2 loss team. They lost to James Madison, for fuck's sake. Their biggest win came against Miami. Oregon State is a 5 loss team and is likely to lose their 6th and 7th to Stanford and Oregon in the coming weeks.

You do realize that a lot of your big name schools won't play Boise State, right? They prefer James madison, Bowling Green to pad their schedule.

You do realize that a lot of your big name schools won't play Boise State, right? They prefer James madison, Bowling Green to pad their schedule.

Gee makes a valid observation. Namely that schools like Boise and TCU don't have a prayer of playing for the National Championship. Ohio State would never schedule either school because they know they might not win

It points to the only logical solution which is an 8 team playoff. Ohio State would never agree because they would not have as easy a path as they do right now

Gee makes a valid observation. Namely that schools like Boise and TCU don't have a prayer of playing for the National Championship. Ohio State would never schedule either school because they know they might not win

It points to the only logical solution which is an 8 team playoff. Ohio State would never agree because they would not have as easy a path as they do right now

Your spot on, Rightwinger. I would love a playoff system.

You're exactly right, and why would they? They have tough enough schedules as it is, why would they add Boise St to that? Take a team like Auburn, for instance. They had to play Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, South Carolina, and Mississippi State this year. Why on earth would they add a team like Boise State to their schedule? What do they have to gain from that? Absolutely nothing, win or lose. While Boise State has absolutely everything to gain, if they win.

So it goes back to being Boise State's problem to gain proper recognition. Instead of asking SEC teams to add them to regular season schedules which are already padded with ranked opponents, Boise State needs to join a conference that already has such recognition.

Tell me how your proposed playoff system works. Who gets the 8 spots?

Playoff systems would actually make it easier for schools like Ohio State or the from the SEC to make it to the NC. One loss would no longer eliminate their chances, as it does now. They could lose a game, still win their conference, and make it into the playoffs.

BCS top 8, or maybe just ask Jon on the USMB. He seems to know everything. :eusa_whistle:

BCS top 8, or maybe just ask Jon on the USMB. He seems to know everything. :eusa_whistle:

So, your problem is the polls and voters...but you want them to decide who gets the playoff spots?

That system is fine with me. It's better than some of the other stupid ideas I've seen (i.e., conference champions get the spots).

So, your problem is the polls and voters...but you want them to decide who gets the playoff spots?

That system is fine with me. It's better than some of the other stupid ideas I've seen (i.e., conference champions get the spots).

Show me where I have said anything against the polls and the voters. All I said was that the Big 10 is overrated. You are the one that has the issues with where TCU and BSU stand in the polls. Come on now, Jon.

This is why college football is so f***** up.

Have a playoff. Voting and ranking is ridiculous.

And how do you think we would decide on a playoff bracket? Voting and ranking.

Every conference winner gets in. Quit with this ridiculous voting. If you're not in a conference, get in one. Easy, eh?

Division 1-AA finds a way to have a playoff. Division 1-A can also.

Last edited:
Every conference winner gets in.

So you think the winner of the ACC is more deserving than a second place 1-loss team in the Big 12 or SEC? I don't.

Also, there are more than 8 conferences. Who gets left out?

Also, say South Carolina beats Auburn in the SEC Championship. South Carolina already lost to Auburn once. You think they deserve to be a playoff more than Auburn? I don't.

Last edited:
I agreed with the playoff, Jon.

I agree with a playoff, too. But there's still going to have to be subjectivity.

It starts and stops with the BCS rankings.....don't like it? See, you don't like voting and polls.

So what if there are 3 SEC teams in the BCS Top 8? Or, as it stands, if South Carolina wins the SEC Championship, they still wouldn't be in the BCS Top 8. They'd be left out.

Same 8 as get BCS berths now

College football takes 4-6 weeks off between their last regular game and their bowl game. Plenty of time for a playoff. You work some of your existing bowls into actual playoffs, right now only one bowl actually means anything...the rest are exhibition games

Last edited:
Same 8 as get BCS berths now

10 get BCS berths, if you include the NC game.

College football takes 4-6 weeks off between their last regualar game and their bowl game. Plenty of time for a playoff

You're forgetting conference championships.

Top 8 BCS teams make the playoffs......if you are 9 or 10...tough

Still plenty of time for a three round playoff

First 4 games Mid December
Next 2 games New Years day
Championship Mid January two weeks before the SuperBowl

Forum List

Back