Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee: TCU, Boise State not worthy of BCS title shot

I remember after ND and USC had the 21-21 tie in 1968 - Ohio State defeated USC 27-16 in the Rose Bowl on New years Day 1969.

Ohio State comes back from a 0-10 deficit. Curt Gowdy announcing : "They won't catch him - he runs the 100 in 9.4"

Was watching in Seattle in 2 feet of snow and 10 degrees.

Last edited:
There is arguement for both sides of this debate, no doubt. Me living in Idaho, you know which way the wind blows for my view on it. :lol:

Tell me about it, my mother went to Boise State and my uncle has season tickets. They are good enough, and they should be allowed to prove themselves.

They have 12 games a year to prove themselves. Instead, they play these nobody teams, while everyone in the SEC is beating the shit out of each other week after week. You realize that right now, 11 weeks in, there are 4 SEC West teams in the Top 12, and 6 SEC teams in the Top 25? There's no way Boise State could hang with that.

ginscpy,

Could you please stop posting about Notre Dame in every football thread before I start reporting all of your posts for spam?

Thanks

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
go ahead - report me.

I thought I iwas doing the Ohio St a favor by mentioning one of the few wins in the Rose bowl.

More often than not - they werte cannon-fodder for USC, UCLA, Stanford........................-

Last edited:
4 -loss Washington (behind Warren Moon) gets off to a huge lead over Michigan in the 1978 Rose Bowl before the Wolverines failed comeback.

Put UW football back on the map.

There is arguement for both sides of this debate, no doubt. Me living in Idaho, you know which way the wind blows for my view on it. :lol:

Tell me about it, my mother went to Boise State and my uncle has season tickets. They are good enough, and they should be allowed to prove themselves.

They have 12 games a year to prove themselves. Instead, they play these nobody teams, while everyone in the SEC is beating the shit out of each other week after week. You realize that right now, 11 weeks in, there are 4 SEC West teams in the Top 12, and 6 SEC teams in the Top 25? There's no way Boise State could hang with that.

They're in a conference, can't get around that...although they will be moving up the ladder. They do kick butt, and when they play the big boys, they kick butt too. Yes, they can hang with anyone......they've proven it.

Whatever.

Heard that Columbus Oh area is a big area for illegal drugsie METH heroin , cocoine , excstacy et,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,j

pasede thru the state to and from in 1993

Last edited:
TCU, yes.
Boise, probably not (they just play absolutely no one).

And I agree it was in extremely poor character for him to have said anything at all.

If Boise is able to hang with UGA next year, I'll be a believer. UGA is middle to bottom of the SEC these days, and I expect they would handle Boise St. From Mississippi State on up, Boise gets hammered.

If Bama beats Auburn tomorrow, my guess is Boise or TCU will get a shot at Oregon or each other (if Oregon falters) for the NC. The ultimate tragedy would be TCU vs Boise St for all the marbles. History will never give the winner of that game any credibility as the true NC.

Doesnt get much better than Jan 1, 1979.

ND destroys #1 Texas 35-10 to wrap up a slam-dunk NC. (NFL draft gurus have no clue about Montana -gets drafted in the 3rd round)

Warren Moon leads Washington to a 27-20 win over Michigan - UW first bowl game since around 1963.

only comparable was when Notre Dame won the NC in 1988 under Tony Rice, , and Joe Montana led SF 49ers to a comeback win over the Cincinati Bengengs.

Doesnt get much better than Jan 1, 1979.

ND destroys #1 Texas 35-10 to wrap up a slam-dunk NC. (NFL draft gurus have no clue about Montana -gets drafted in the 3rd round)

Warren Moon leads Washington to a 27-20 win over Michigan - UW first bowl game since around 1963.

8043 BC, some cavemen pick up a stone about the size of their head and toss it and run around with it, and tackle each other to try and get it.

Greatest football game of all time still, to this day.

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Even if TCU and Boise State run the table, they still don't deserve to be in the Bowl Championship Series title game, Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee said Wednesday.

In an interview with The Associated Press, the president at the university with the largest athletic program in the country said that TCU and Boise State do not face a difficult enough schedule to play in the national championship game.

"Well, I don't know enough about the Xs and Os of college football," said Gee, formerly the president at West Virginia, Colorado, Brown and Vanderbilt universities. "I do know, having been both a Southeastern Conference president and a Big Ten president, that it's like murderer's row every week for these schools. We do not play the Little Sisters of the Poor. We play very fine schools on any given day.

"So I think until a university runs through that gantlet that there's some reason to believe that they not be the best teams to [be] in the big ballgame."

Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee: TCU, Boise State not worthy of BCS title shot - ESPN

Just writing a story about OSU Football reduces the IQ to the point at which one does not retain the ability to spell words correctly.

It might have been Woody Hayes but sounds more like it would have been John McKay who described one of his players as not knowing the meaning of word "fear" or of many other words for that matter.

It was definitely Woody Hayes who was asked once, after he went for two with a 30 point lead, why he did so. He growled in reply, "Because I couldn't go for three."

Football ain't just a game when they dot the i.

They do kick butt, and when they play the big boys, they kick butt too.

:confused:

You mean that win over Oklahoma 3 years ago? That's hardly proven anything.

Oklahoma, Oregon St., Virgina Tech. Put them up with the big ones........They are in a conference that does not get the mega bucks as your conferences, but still seems to get the job done. Yet, no credit from you. Bottom line is that all the polls have them #3 or #4.....what is, is. Ohio St. does suck on sour grapes and usually the Big 10 is an over ranked conference.

You don't coach ND to go 6-5 and eak into a minor-league bowl game.

You coach ND to win National Campionships. like Ara Pin first season did when he went from Northwestern to coach ND to 2 slam -dunk NC in 1966 and 1973. Strong #2 is in 1964 and 1970. What was BNDsx lowest ranking duringh is 10 year tenure?

Then Dan Devine won a slam-dink NC in 1977 - and some major bowl game wins - and even Gerry Faust Started thetrend of beatingup on USC,

Then came the Lou Holtz era. One slam -dunk NC in 1988 - cases could be made for 1989 and 1993. Won freaking 17 straight road games and similar streak against Big 10 teams.

Hoping that Brian Kelly can get them back to that level of kicking butt and taking names.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back