Oh snap! Obama disses Rutherford B. Hayes!

What sarcasm?

Obama really did diss Hayes.

like pretty much everything he says, i'm having difficulty giving a fuck about it.

Give it time. Fox will say he offended the "Fans of Hayes" association and how unAmerican Obama is.

I am being serious here. I have seen Fox do dumber shit.

sorta like the fans of obama trying to defend his stupid remarks? I haven't seen dumber shit.

especially since he was talking out of his ass again, Rutherford actually had the first phone installed in the WH...and he never said that,so that makes both of you imbeciles. whats new eh?

:D

The first "imbecile" that used that reference, apparently, was Ronald Reagan.

But The Atlantic spots an interesting potential source for the latest use of the Hayes story, or rather set of sources. President Ronald Reagan apparently used the same Hayes quote about the phone in a 1985 speech honoring Apple's Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. The episode was recounted in Walter Isaacson's bestselling biography of the late businessman, providing a pretty clear avenue for it to make itself back into the White House.
Reagan Cited Same Rutherford Hayes Anecdote As Obama | TPM Livewire

Hook, line and sinker.

Excellent!

:lol:

yes we know someone posted that after you.....and what does that have to do with your OP? try and focus now.

Focus on what?

My OP was generated shortly after the speech. And I was demonstrating that FOX would probably fixate on the comment. Which..by the way it did.

I don't know if this was meant as a "gotcha" or not..but it sure was pretty clever.

obama is a liar because he knows the lapdog media will never call him on it and democrats will ignore it. Had it been Romney or Santorum it would be headlines today.

Hook, line and sinker.

Excellent!

yes we know someone posted that after you.....and what does that have to do with your OP? try and focus now.

Focus on what?

My OP was generated shortly after the speech. And I was demonstrating that FOX would probably fixate on the comment. Which..by the way it did.

I don't know if this was meant as a "gotcha" or not..but it sure was pretty clever.

why would a normal person use this as a vehicle to prove fox would fixate on an issue, when the issue itself puts obama in an ignorant light, hes not slappy white you know?

theres nothing clever about it, except unwittingly exposing yourself again as a media sheep. I am not sure if thats clever though really, but you have your own brand of that going on so, bottoms up.

Focus on what?

why would a normal person use this as a vehicle to prove fox would fixate on an issue, when the issue itself puts obama in an ignorant light, hes not slappy white you know?

theres nothing clever about it, except unwittingly exposing yourself again as a media sheep. I am not sure if thats clever though really, but you have your own brand of that going on so, bottoms up.

Well heck Trajan..if you want to personalize analysis..have it at. But it's not really a way to have a dialogue about something, is it?

But I guess that's all you conservatives have now..piss and vinegar.

It's a pretty bitter brew, but..any port in a storm..eh?

Focus on what?

Well heck Trajan..if you want to personalize analysis..have it at. But it's not really a way to have a dialogue about something, is it?

:lol:you didn't post this for dialogue...........cons have their issues and when they burp up stupidity on the level obama did they get called on it, you were trolling and you know it and as usual it backfired.

if you want serious dialogue go look up obamas commnets on the oil and gas issue, thats full of the usual obama trope, HUUUUUUGE mischaracterizations, that either make him again, ignorant or just plain dumb OR a willful liar...have at it...thie rutherford preemptive defense didn't work, go try that one of for size.

:lol:you didn't post this for dialogue...........cons have their issues and when they burp up stupidity on the level obama did they get called on it, you were trolling and you know it and as usual it backfired.

if you want serious dialogue go look up obamas commnets on the oil and gas issue, thats full of the usual obama trope, HUUUUUUGE mischaracterizations, that either make him again, ignorant or just plain dumb OR a willful liar...have at it...thie rutherford preemptive defense didn't work, go try that one of for size.

It didn't "backfire" at all.

I knew that FOX would fixate on it..and it did. What I didn't know, when the odd comment was made, was the history of it. Finding out that it came from Reagan was all the more revealing. It seems to me that this was a calculated "joke" if you will..and it went off perfectly.

In any case, anyone paying attention to this speech..and Biden's, sees how those guys are going to run this. They've painted the GOP as the "Flat Earth Society" rooted in old technologies and unwilling to do anything new. That's both accurate and smart.

Because the GOP is campaigning on ripping out all the changes made by the Obama administration. Making the distinction is a both necessary and good strategy.

What sarcasm?

Obama really did diss Hayes.

like pretty much everything he says, i'm having difficulty giving a fuck about it.

Oh come on eggman. It's Hayes.

No one messes with Rutherford! And that's Rutherford with a "B".

Conservatives don't care because they didn't think of it first. And they also couldn't bend it out of context enough to make the president look bad.

That's right. Said that Rutherford picked up the telephone and said something like, "That's nice, but who's going to use it?". Obama said that's why he's not on Mount Rushmore.

I am sure FOX is going to be in a tizzy over this.

And Biden? That man threw down some smack on the GOP.

Said they were the party of the priviledged that wanted:

-No Rules.
-No Risks.
-No Accountability

For the "Job Creators".

Oh..it's on!

Who is going to use the Chevy Volt or Solyndra Products? Are those "accomplishments" going to put Obama on Rushmore?

That's right. Said that Rutherford picked up the telephone and said something like, "That's nice, but who's going to use it?". Obama said that's why he's not on Mount Rushmore.

-No Rules.
-No Risks.
-No Accountability

For the "Job Creators".

Oh..it's on!

Who is going to use the Chevy Volt or Solyndra Products? Are those "accomplishments" going to put Obama on Rushmore?

Yeah..you're right. Edison went through thousands of iterations of the light bulb before he got one that worked. Conservatives have the right idea. Stop after the first failure and rely on old tech.

Good stuff.

-No Rules.
-No Risks.
-No Accountability

For the "Job Creators".

Oh..it's on!

So he had to go back to 1876 to find a president less qualified than he was?

-No Rules.
-No Risks.
-No Accountability

For the "Job Creators".

Oh..it's on!

When you are the worst, I guess you have to try and find someone, and he still didn't choose one worse than him.

-No Rules.
-No Risks.
-No Accountability

For the "Job Creators".

Oh..it's on!

especially since he was talking out of his ass again, Rutherford actually had the first phone installed in the WH...and he never said that,so that makes both of you imbeciles. whats new eh?

But The Atlantic spots an interesting potential source for the latest use of the Hayes story, or rather set of sources. President Ronald Reagan apparently used the same Hayes quote about the phone in a 1985 speech honoring Apple's Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. The episode was recounted in Walter Isaacson's bestselling biography of the late businessman, providing a pretty clear avenue for it to make itself back into the White House.
Hook, line and sinker.

Excellent!

Ronnie? The guy who is famous for saying that 90% of all pollution comes from plants? What does it say about Obama that he used him as a source?

By the way, he wasn't the first.

It turns out that the first time the canard was used was by Ronald Reagan. The scenario is in the new Steve Jobs biography. The quote was made when he was giving an award to Jobs, in 1985. It's been reported in the Atlantic, and I provided a link somewhere up thread.

The Catholic Church didn't accept the science in 1492. Their position was still that the earth was flat, and was the center of the universe.

The flat earthers were still wrong, which is the more salient point.

The first time? Really? No one in history ever said that before Reagan?

The salient point is that flat earthers had nothing to do with Columbus, despite what you learned in school. I didn't graduate from Harvard and I know that the Ancient Greeks not only proved the Earth was round, but that they measured the diameter. Why doesn't Obama, or one of the dozens of speechwriters who work for him, know it? Are they all as ignorant as you?

Guess you missed the part where after the Roman Empire collapsed, the world decended into a time of religious piety. It's often referred to as the "Dark Ages". Because religion trumped reason and science.

I guess you don't sail. Every sailor who ever put out to sea knew the Earth is round, no matter what idiots who lived inland thought. Or did you learn from one of those history books that insisted that no one ever sailed out of sight of land?

The first time? Really? No one in history ever said that before Reagan?

The salient point is that flat earthers had nothing to do with Columbus, despite what you learned in school. I didn't graduate from Harvard and I know that the Ancient Greeks not only proved the Earth was round, but that they measured the diameter. Why doesn't Obama, or one of the dozens of speechwriters who work for him, know it? Are they all as ignorant as you?

Guess you missed the part where after the Roman Empire collapsed, the world decended into a time of religious piety. It's often referred to as the "Dark Ages". Because religion trumped reason and science.

I guess you don't sail. Every sailor who ever put out to sea knew the Earth is round, no matter what idiots who lived inland thought. Or did you learn from one of those history books that insisted that no one ever sailed out of sight of land?

I learned from one of those history books that said most of Europe would punish people for going against religious dogma.

Galileo was found "vehemently suspect of heresy", namely of having held the opinions that the Sun lies motionless at the centre of the universe, that the Earth is not at its centre and moves, and that one may hold and defend an opinion as probable after it has been declared contrary to Holy Scripture. He was required to "abjure, curse and detest" those opinions.[59]
He was sentenced to formal imprisonment at the pleasure of the Inquisition.[60] On the following day this was commuted to house arrest, which he remained under for the rest of his life.
His offending Dialogue was banned; and in an action not announced at the trial, publication of any of his works was forbidden, including any he might write in the future.[61
Galileo Galilei - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hook, line and sinker.

Excellent!

Ronnie? The guy who is famous for saying that 90% of all pollution comes from plants? What does it say about Obama that he used him as a source?

Doesn't matter. Ronnie, although he committed treason, lied, broke the law and funded terrorists that raped and killed American nuns in South America, and funded terrorists that would eventually commit 9/11 in Afghanistan..along with bailing out banks and financials who collapsed because of his deregulation bonanza while presiding over one of the biggest tax hikes in American history..

Is the absolute Hero of conservatives.

Hook..
Line..
Sinker.

-No Rules.
-No Risks.
-No Accountability

For the "Job Creators".

Oh..it's on!

When you are the worst, I guess you have to try and find someone, and he still didn't choose one worse than him.

He really didn't have to go back that far.

One was installed by Scalia and the boys in 2000.

Good job boys!

:clap2:

I learned from one of those history books that said most of Europe would punish people for going against religious dogma.

Galileo was found "vehemently suspect of heresy", namely of having held the opinions that the Sun lies motionless at the centre of the universe, that the Earth is not at its centre and moves, and that one may hold and defend an opinion as probable after it has been declared contrary to Holy Scripture. He was required to "abjure, curse and detest" those opinions.[59]
He was sentenced to formal imprisonment at the pleasure of the Inquisition.[60] On the following day this was commuted to house arrest, which he remained under for the rest of his life.
His offending Dialogue was banned; and in an action not announced at the trial, publication of any of his works was forbidden, including any he might write in the future.[61
Galileo Galilei - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you know who led the charge against Galileo? The scientists who thought Aristotle was right when he said that the Earth was the center of the universe. They had more political power than Galileo, even though the Pope was a personal friend, and they managed to force the Pope to allow the trial, despite the fact that there were actually Cardinals that thought there shouldn't be one. If there hadn't been a trial the Church would have torn itself apart over the internal schism from Catholics fighting Catholics over science and faith. While it is completely true that the Aristotelians won that particular battle, not one of them thought the Earth was flat because Aristotle knew better.

All of that is just to prove you are actually reading the wrong history books. Everyone who studied science, and every sailor, knew the Earth was round. The educated people even knew how big it is. For some reason Columbus thought it was significantly smaller, and wanted to prove it by sailing west to get to the east. The kings he talked to didn't want to give him money because they thought his math was bad, not because they thought the Earth is flat. Turns out they were right.

Sometimes the claim is made that those who opposed Columbus thought the Earth was flat, but that wasn't the case at all. Even in ancient times sailors knew that the Earth was round and scientists not only suspected it was a sphere, but even estimated its size.
If you stand on the seashore and watch a ship sailing away, it will gradually disappear from view. But the reason cannot be the distance: if a hill or tower are nearby, and you climb to the top after the ship has completely disappeared, it becomes visible again. Furthermore, if on the shore you watch carefully the way the ship disappears from view, you will notice that the hull vanishes first, while the masts and sails (or the bridge and smokestack) disappear last. It is as if the ship was dropping behind a hill, which in a way is exactly the case, the "hill" being the curve of the Earth's surface.
To find out how the distance to the horizon is calculated, click here Eratosthenes, Posidonius and El Mamun

The Greek philosopher Aristotle (384-322 BC) argued in his writings that the Earth was spherical, because of the circular shadow it cast on the Moon, during a lunar eclipse. Another reason was that some stars visible from Egypt are not seen further north The full quotation can be found here.

The Round Earth and Christopher Columbus

Go read some accurate books about history before you dismiss the Catholic Church as a bunch of idiots who thought the Earth was flat.

Hook, line and sinker.

Excellent!

Doesn't matter. Ronnie, although he committed treason, lied, broke the law and funded terrorists that raped and killed American nuns in South America, and funded terrorists that would eventually commit 9/11 in Afghanistan..along with bailing out banks and financials who collapsed because of his deregulation bonanza while presiding over one of the biggest tax hikes in American history..

Is the absolute Hero of conservatives.

Hook..
Line..
Sinker.

Yep, Ronnie snared Barry.

Forum List

Back