Oh snap! Obama disses Rutherford B. Hayes!

odd. for being in such a tizzy, they don't seem to have mentioned it on their website. Could you, perhaps, be full of shit? Quite likely.

I don't know if it was up when you posted, but it is certainly there now as I post: Obama Mangles History, Smears 19th Century President - President Obama - Fox Nation. They used the rather slanted headline, "Obama Mangles History, Smears 19th Century President".

I thought Obama's comment was a bit glib and disrespectful (it was also historically incorrect, apparently) but he's certainly correct that Hayes was not a great president. On Reconstruction, his heart seemed to be in the right place, but following a disputed election he was unable to prevent the civil rights of Southern blacks from being severely curtailed.

I went to Fox News - Breaking News Updates | Latest News Headlines | Photos & News Videos, did a search on Rutherford B. Hayes, and this doesn't show.

In any case, 1 article is a tizzy? Does that standard apply to all media, or just Fox?

"Tizzy" refers to an emotional state. To the extent that a large media organization can be said to have a coherent emotional state I doubt Fox News was affected one way or the other by "Hayesgate". You'll note that I did not discuss the characterization implied by "tizzy", only the fact that there was, contrary to your suggestion, indeed a relevant story on Fox's website.

Speaking of which, your recent suggestion that Fox's website has only published one article mentioning this appears to be false. A second one is: Obama Moralizing More On Green Energy | Fox News.

A third one is: Obama Mocks A GOP Predecessor As Technophobe -- And Unfairly, President Hayes Expert Says | Fox News, though this appears to be nearly the same as the first, with only the headline changed.

Oh Snap!

Debunked....:lmao:

RutherfordGate: Historian Responds to President Obama

We thought it was a bit unsporting of Obama to attack President Hayes, who is quite unable to respond. So we called up the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center in Fremont, Ohio, where Nan Card, the curator of manuscripts, was plenty willing to correct Obama's ignorance of White House history. Just as soon as she finished chuckling.

"I've heard that before, and no one ever knows where it came from," Card said of Hayes's alleged phone remark, "but people just keep repeating it and repeating it, so it's out there."

Wait, so Hayes didn't even say the quote that Obama is mocking him for? "No, no," Card confirmed.

In fact, Card noted, Hayes was not only the first president to have a telephone in the White House, but he was also the first to use the typewriter, and he had Thomas Edison come to the White House to demonstrate the phonograph. "So I think he was pretty much cutting edge," Card insisted, "maybe just the opposite of what President Obama had to say there."

Flashback:

President Obama's new presidential rug seemed beyond reproach, with quotations from Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt, Franklin Roosevelt, John F. Kennedy and the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. woven along its curved edge.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice." According media reports, this quote keeping Obama company on his wheat-colored carpet is from King.

Except it's not a King quote.

Jamie Stiehm - Oval Office rug gets history wrong​

Maybe the-most-intellectual-president-evah should consider refraining from the quotations.

Except that Obama didn't quote Hayes. He said, "it been said". Turns out he was quoting Reagan who used the Hayes line when he was honoring Steve Jobs in 1985.

Flashback:

President Obama's new presidential rug seemed beyond reproach, with quotations from Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt, Franklin Roosevelt, John F. Kennedy and the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. woven along its curved edge.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice." According media reports, this quote keeping Obama company on his wheat-colored carpet is from King.

Maybe the-most-intellectual-president-evah should consider refraining from the quotations.

Except that Obama didn't quote Hayes. He said, "it been said". Turns out he was quoting Reagan who used the Hayes line when he was honoring Steve Jobs in 1985.

He actually said that Rutherford reportedly said it.

Reportedly according to whom?

He also got the reason people were reluctant to give Columbus the money to sail wrong, everyone who had an education knew the Earth was round, as did every sailor. The problem was that Columbus calculated the Earth to be about half the size it is, and and the scientists of that day told people he was wrong.

Turns out they were right, and Columbus was wrong. Just like Obama.

I don't know if it was up when you posted, but it is certainly there now as I post: Obama Mangles History, Smears 19th Century President - President Obama - Fox Nation. They used the rather slanted headline, "Obama Mangles History, Smears 19th Century President".

I thought Obama's comment was a bit glib and disrespectful (it was also historically incorrect, apparently) but he's certainly correct that Hayes was not a great president. On Reconstruction, his heart seemed to be in the right place, but following a disputed election he was unable to prevent the civil rights of Southern blacks from being severely curtailed.

I went to Fox News - Breaking News Updates | Latest News Headlines | Photos & News Videos, did a search on Rutherford B. Hayes, and this doesn't show.

In any case, 1 article is a tizzy? Does that standard apply to all media, or just Fox?

"Tizzy" refers to an emotional state. To the extent that a large media organization can be said to have a coherent emotional state I doubt Fox News was affected one way or the other by "Hayesgate". You'll note that I did not discuss the characterization implied by "tizzy", only the fact that there was, contrary to your suggestion, indeed a relevant story on Fox's website.

Speaking of which, your recent suggestion that Fox's website has only published one article mentioning this appears to be false. A second one is: Obama Moralizing More On Green Energy | Fox News.

A third one is: Obama Mocks A GOP Predecessor As Technophobe -- And Unfairly, President Hayes Expert Says | Fox News, though this appears to be nearly the same as the first, with only the headline changed.
At the time of my post, I was only able to find the one. Sorry I did not search as diligently as you must have just so you could go ' NA NA NA...I found them and you didn't! NA NA NA NA!!!" Want a cookie now?

tizzy - an excited state of agitation

What constitutes a tizzy, in regards to media coverage of a story? Is there a set number of mentions online, passing which, the outlet can be said to officially be in 'a tizzy'? Does a single story posted constitute a tizzy? Three? Fifteen?

Flashback:

It turns out that the first time the canard was used was by Ronald Reagan. The scenario is in the new Steve Jobs biography. The quote was made when he was giving an award to Jobs, in 1985. It's been reported in the Atlantic, and I provided a link somewhere up thread.

He also got the reason people were reluctant to give Columbus the money to sail wrong, everyone who had an education knew the Earth was round, as did every sailor. The problem was that Columbus calculated the Earth to be about half the size it is, and and the scientists of that day told people he was wrong.

The Catholic Church didn't accept the science in 1492. Their position was still that the earth was flat, and was the center of the universe.

The flat earthers were still wrong, which is the more salient point.

That's right. Said that Rutherford picked up the telephone and said something like, "That's nice, but who's going to use it?". Obama said that's why he's not on Mount Rushmore.

I am sure FOX is going to be in a tizzy over this.

And Biden? That man threw down some smack on the GOP.

Said they were the party of the priviledged that wanted:

-No Rules.
-No Risks.
-No Accountability

For the "Job Creators".

Oh..it's on!

:D

especially since he was talking out of his ass again, Rutherford actually had the first phone installed in the WH...and he never said that,so that makes both of you imbeciles. whats new eh?

That's right. Said that Rutherford picked up the telephone and said something like, "That's nice, but who's going to use it?". Obama said that's why he's not on Mount Rushmore.

-No Rules.
-No Risks.
-No Accountability

For the "Job Creators".

Oh..it's on!

especially since he was talking out of his ass again, Rutherford actually had the first phone installer the WH...and he never said that,so that makes both of you imbeciles. what new eh?

It was Saint Ronnie who started this urban legend.

Rutherford B. Hayes Is So Hot Right Now - Politics - The Atlantic Wire

While the Hayes library can't figure out where this rumor got started, Appelbaum notes that it was popularized by President Reagan, who repeated the same anecdote Obama told Thursday in speech for the National Technology Awards in 1985.

Reagan was a real pro about just making shit up.

-No Rules.
-No Risks.
-No Accountability

For the "Job Creators".

Oh..it's on!

especially since he was talking out of his ass again, Rutherford actually had the first phone installer the WH...and he never said that,so that makes both of you imbeciles. what new eh?

While the Hayes library can't figure out where this rumor got started, Appelbaum notes that it was popularized by President Reagan, who repeated the same anecdote Obama told Thursday in speech for the National Technology Awards in 1985.

why did you quote me? what does that have to do with my remark?

It turns out that the first time the canard was used was by Ronald Reagan. The scenario is in the new Steve Jobs biography. The quote was made when he was giving an award to Jobs, in 1985. It's been reported in the Atlantic, and I provided a link somewhere up thread.

The Catholic Church didn't accept the science in 1492. Their position was still that the earth was flat, and was the center of the universe.

The first time? Really? No one in history ever said that before Reagan?

The salient point is that flat earthers had nothing to do with Columbus, despite what you learned in school. I didn't graduate from Harvard and I know that the Ancient Greeks not only proved the Earth was round, but that they measured the diameter. Why doesn't Obama, or one of the dozens of speechwriters who work for him, know it? Are they all as ignorant as you?

-No Rules.
-No Risks.
-No Accountability

For the "Job Creators".

Oh..it's on!

Excuse me, Dick, that doesn't say Reagan started it,

why did you quote me? what does that have to do with my remark?

He is trying to defend Obama, couldn't figure out how to blame Bush, so he is trying to blame Reagan.

You fail at sarcasm.

Which is a good thing as it really is not a pretty, intelligent or useful form of debate.

What sarcasm?

Obama really did diss Hayes.

like pretty much everything he says, i'm having difficulty giving a fuck about it.

Give it time. Fox will say he offended the "Fans of Hayes" association and how unAmerican Obama is.

I am being serious here. I have seen Fox do dumber shit.

-No Rules.
-No Risks.
-No Accountability

For the "Job Creators".

Oh..it's on!

especially since he was talking out of his ass again, Rutherford actually had the first phone installed in the WH...and he never said that,so that makes both of you imbeciles. whats new eh?

The first "imbecile" that used that reference, apparently, was Ronald Reagan.

But The Atlantic spots an interesting potential source for the latest use of the Hayes story, or rather set of sources. President Ronald Reagan apparently used the same Hayes quote about the phone in a 1985 speech honoring Apple's Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. The episode was recounted in Walter Isaacson's bestselling biography of the late businessman, providing a pretty clear avenue for it to make itself back into the White House.
Reagan Cited Same Rutherford Hayes Anecdote As Obama | TPM Livewire

Hook, line and sinker.

Excellent!

:lol:

The first time? Really? No one in history ever said that before Reagan?

The salient point is that flat earthers had nothing to do with Columbus, despite what you learned in school. I didn't graduate from Harvard and I know that the Ancient Greeks not only proved the Earth was round, but that they measured the diameter. Why doesn't Obama, or one of the dozens of speechwriters who work for him, know it? Are they all as ignorant as you?

Guess you missed the part where after the Roman Empire collapsed, the world decended into a time of religious piety. It's often referred to as the "Dark Ages". Because religion trumped reason and science.

-No Rules.
-No Risks.
-No Accountability

For the "Job Creators".

Oh..it's on!

The first "imbecile" that used that reference, apparently, was Ronald Reagan.

But The Atlantic spots an interesting potential source for the latest use of the Hayes story, or rather set of sources. President Ronald Reagan apparently used the same Hayes quote about the phone in a 1985 speech honoring Apple's Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. The episode was recounted in Walter Isaacson's bestselling biography of the late businessman, providing a pretty clear avenue for it to make itself back into the White House.
Reagan Cited Same Rutherford Hayes Anecdote As Obama | TPM Livewire

Hook, line and sinker.

Excellent!

:lol:

yes we know, someone posted that after you.....and what does that have to do with your OP? try and focus now.

Forum List

Back