ocean acidification

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
No More Speculation: Scientists Prove Ocean Acidification is Already Underway | 80beats | Discover Magazine

No More Speculation: Scientists Prove Ocean Acidification is Already Underway
While concerns over ocean acidification are not new, a recent study provides more concrete evidence than ever before that the process has already begun. Australian scientists found that shells of the microscopic, amoeba-like organisms called foraminifera, which exist by the billions in oceans around the world, have become significantly thinner since the Industrial Revolution.

The study, published in Nature Geoscience, is the first to look specifically at acidification and pin it to greenhouse-gas pollution, which is driven especially by the invisible product of burning oil, gas and coal. “It is the invasion of anthropogenic (man-made) CO2 that is causing this particular source of acidification,” said co-author William Howard [AFP].

The research team compared newer shells of Globigerina bulloides, a species of foraminifera, with shells of the same species that had sunk hundreds of years earlier; the modern shells were found to be 30 to 35 percent lighter than older specimens of about the same size. The older shells predate the industrial age, when CO2 levels started rising and the acidity of the ocean, caused by the absorption of the gas, began to increase…. As ocean acidity increases, the saturation levels of carbonate minerals in the water decreases, making it more difficult for organisms to precipitate out the carbonate for their shells [The New York Times].

Great ... is this the new scare?

... faaaaabbbbuuuullllooouuusss!

funny-pictures-cats-dramatic-cats-lights-sunshine2.jpg

Interesting. Thanks.

I'm not a scientist but it really is pretty obvious that if you put chemicals into the water via runoff or any other measure you will be creating an unstable enviroment for life.

More like a reality. I'll work on getting some pictures of what "burn down" on the fields looks like in the streams this summer. When you see dead fish and birds scattered through the water it is pretty obvious what is happening to the enviroment we live in.

More like a reality. I'll work on getting some pictures of what "burn down" on the fields look like in the streams this summer. When you see dead fish and birds scattered through the water it is pretty obvious what is happening to the enviroment we live in.

Your previous post actually said it better, we know this, we have known this, and we have been doing work to cut back. However, if you want reality here it is:

The most acidic substances are naturally occurring chemicals which go in cycles between the land and sea through volcanic movements and continental drift. The reason this issue calmed down was because we had discovered that much of our efforts to correct it was wrong, we were cutting the natural acidic quality that was suppose to happen. Again, the biggest problem with environuts, they are ignoring the fact that our planet destroys itself to keep life evolving. We evolved as a result of one of the most massive extinctions, not in spite of it. If the environment was always "balanced" as the envirnuts want then nothing would change, the simple law of nature and existence would be broken.

More like a reality. I'll work on getting some pictures of what "burn down" on the fields look like in the streams this summer. When you see dead fish and birds scattered through the water it is pretty obvious what is happening to the enviroment we live in.

Your previous post actually said it better, we know this, we have known this, and we have been doing work to cut back. However, if you want reality here it is:

The most acidic substances are naturally occurring chemicals which go in cycles between the land and sea through volcanic movements and continental drift. The reason this issue calmed down was because we had discovered that much of our efforts to correct it was wrong, we were cutting the natural acidic quality that was suppose to happen. Again, the biggest problem with environuts, they are ignoring the fact that our planet destroys itself to keep life evolving. We evolved as a result of one of the most massive extinctions, not in spite of it. If the environment was always "balanced" as the envirnuts want then nothing would change, the simple law of nature and existence would be broken.

Serious question; Why do you hate the enviroment?

Well if acidification is occurring and that is BIG if, acid loving plants will thrive. Hell and ain't all you AGW nuts also adherents to evolution theology. What no faith in the survival of the fittest?

Well if acidification is occurring and that is BIG if, acid loving plants will thrive. Hell and ain't all you AGW nuts also adherents to evolution theology. What no faith in the survival of the fittest?

Not really, no.

Well..except in the case of cockroaches, of course.

They'll be around long after we're gone, I suspect.

Not a big if at all. It has been measured. Read the articles.

So they are reading surface air temperatures using arbitrary measures and claiming that it is accurate enough to claim a measly .7 degrees C in the last hundred years. Ha, I'd trust sticking my toe in the water and see if it turns red more than this tripe.

Serious question; Why do you hate the enviroment?

*grins* I will answer this baited question asked twice.

No, I do not hate the environment, I love the planet. But I love the planet for what it is, a bitch. Look at what it does to itself all the time, mass extinctions, forced evolution, always CHANGING! I often say that environuts ignore 90% of the world just to make their point, well, half of that is the simple fact, life forms NEED to be tested by extreme changes, so the planet has a built in system for creating these, it is the only reason life exists here on a complex level. It goes through cycles like this all the time, where the changes are so extreme the weaker species die off to be replaced by more dominant species. It's just the way it is. Environuts are taking this unstoppable, natural phenomena and banking on it, conning people out of money, and people who forget about this being natural are too easily conned by it, they use scare tactics. Well guess what, nature IS scary, the only thing we can count on is constant change. Dinosaurs didn't survive their global catastrophe and we won't either, unless we learn to adapt to it instead of wasting time on these con artists trying to stop it. A movie actually stated it best, we only truly change on the brink of extermination, this isn't the brink, this is doom-sayers crying and ranting, like those end of the world fanatics on the street corners, the envirnuts just found a way to make a profit on it. If you factor in all science, all the worlds known history, and all possibilities you will see, environuts are con artists and nothing more. Go ahead, look into the world, see it all at once, it will blow your mind. It's a complex organism in itself, one that has to be reborn every once in a while to produce life that is capable of evolving, otherwise, nothing changes, nothing grows, and we do not get smarter or tough. We will fade like the raptors, to be replaced by another species if we don't find a way to adapt to the changes ... we will become extinct ... all because we wasted time trying to change that which we cannot. (Gotta say, christians got that part 100% right).

So they are reading surface air temperatures using arbitrary measures and claiming that it is accurate enough to claim a measly .7 degrees C in the last hundred years. Ha, I'd trust sticking my toe in the water and see if it turns red more than this tripe.

The article concerned PH, not temperature. With that kind of ignorance, you don't have any kind of basis for knowing who to trust.

The article concerned PH, not temperature. With that kind of ignorance, you don't have any kind of basis for knowing who to trust.

Right..if they can't get temperature right I fear that PH is well beyond them.

Given your prior post, I fear the definition of PH is well beyond you.

Given your prior post, I fear the definition of PH is well beyond you.

I have a pool and a garden. Grew up on a farm. I know all I need to about PH. The article claims shell thinning due to carbonization. That is bunk. If the shells on those little squirts are thinning it is because they are similar to limestone and would be a neutralizing agent. The acidification would actually be emulsifying the shells making them thinner. Since these are tiny little creatures the acidity must not be too intense or "alarming"

Last edited:

I hate to dispute the Archduke of AcidOceans, but there are more serious problems afoot!
Real problem is the fatties retiring to Florida! Those tubbies! Have you seen them lining up for the “early-bird specials”? Those guys look like Prissy’s Pillsbury Doughboy Avatar, without the stars and stripes. And Al Gorge, have you seen how he has porked up? Wow. It’s just a matter of time ‘til this jumbos push us past the ‘tipping point:” the entire continent is about to flip over! Instead of the United States, we’ll be citizens of Upsidedownistan!

I hate to dispute the Archduke of AcidOceans, but there are more serious problems afoot!
Real problem is the fatties retiring to Florida! Those tubbies! Have you seen them lining up for the “early-bird specials”? Those guys look like Prissy’s Pillsbury Doughboy Avatar, without the stars and stripes. And Al Gorge, have you seen how he has porked up? Wow. It’s just a matter of time ‘til this jumbos push us past the ‘tipping point:” the entire continent is about to flip over! Instead of the United States, we’ll be citizens of Upsidedownistan!

Chic, you are an idiot. And when are you planning to retire to Florida.

Chic, you are an idiot. And when are you planning to retire to Florida.

Seems she hit a soft spot ... what she posted about those who have been peddling the global warming hoax is true.

Forum List

Back