The Costs Of Recycling

KittenKoder

Sep 21, 2008
Nowhere
Seattle's recycling program runs into plunging prices

"Seattle will pay Rabanco $27 a ton to process the city’s recyclables and they both agree on a benchmark price for the commodities." <- Read the whole article to understand ... we have no choice in this matter as taxpayers.

Seattle makes recycling mandatory - Municipal Recycling - Brief Article | Recycling Today | Find Articles at BNET

"According to the Seattle Times, the recycling initiative is projected to have a net cost of $272,000 in 2004. By 2007" <- Old news but the newest figures have been deleted from any viable sources (so much for transparency), just double for inflation and such.

Now for the reality of land fills:
The Truth About America&#8217;s Landfill Glut : Postal News, Information & Commentary <- Though a bit leaning, it links to a very credible source, it's just PDF.

08landfillchart450.png

In reality we have changed for many years, we have made these changes as told by the environuts. The end result: new scares, new problems, and new myths to force new changes .... and nothing else. The environment is still changing, the world is still changing, and life is evolving around it ... except us.

Another reality they are missing, we can't make things from thin air, all the products we use are made from what we have around us, technically everything is all natural. We take it from the earth and use is, reshape it, why should it not return from where it came?

"We take it from the earth and use is, reshape it, why should it not return from where it came?"

We do not always put it back into the earth in a form that the earth can digest it.

Waste management is big money and where there is big money there is corruption.

Solution for Seattlers, move to the sticks.

"We take it from the earth and use is, reshape it, why should it not return from where it came?"

We do not always put it back into the earth in a form that the earth can digest it.

As it is, many of us are. The city is bankrupt and wasting more money each year, most of it on this "green" crap. Most of the people shopping here are tourists and our small businesses are failing unable to keep up with the new "regulations" they are imposing. Some of us who are natives are holding in there for the time being, but even my real life best friend is considering the move (she's an "uber liberal", die hard "love the earth" type) because we are falling apart at the seams. Many are finally seeing the real impact that the Gore Inc is making on us. It's sad, we were such a beautiful city at one time, but now it's all gray and blech, and no money to actually clean up. Our trees are dying from the car exhaust, our lumber industry is gone almost, and the only people making money are the "green" companies ... but they are paid mostly by our taxes now.

Obama Wins Washington
By The New York Times
Senator Barack Obama&#8217;s second win of the evening is the day&#8217;s biggest prize: the Washington caucuses. The Times is calling for the Illinois Democrat with percent of 42 precincts reporting; he has so far received 67 percent of the vote.

It's sad, we were such a beautiful city at one time, but now it's all gray and blech, and no money to actually clean up. Our trees are dying from the car exhaust, our lumber industry is gone almost, and the only people making money are the "green" companies ... but they are paid mostly by our taxes now.

Toxic Trade News

ASIA'S WIND-BORNE POLLUTION A HAZARDOUS EXPORT TO U.S. AIR

By Gary Polakovic, Los Angeles Times

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CALIFORNIA, USA, 26 April 2002 -- Dust, chemicals travel a long way. "We're a small world," one scientist says.

Wind-borne pollution from China and neighboring countries is spreading to California and other parts of the nation and Canada as a result of surging economic activity and destructive farming practices half a world away, according to new scientific studies.

The research shows that a mix of pollutants, from dust to ozone to toxic chemicals, travels farther than once realized.

Federal air quality officials fear that the foreign-born pollution will complicate efforts to cut smog and haze, and make it more difficult to meet federal air quality standards in California and other parts of the West.

Its not the cars ruining Seattle and if the people run from the pollution and vote the same elsewhere???

Last edited by a moderator:
You fail to realize that most local pollution is from a high concentration of cars, which we have a very high concentration compared to other cities with our population level. The trees within the city are not green because they are covered in soot, while those outside the city remain green. The comparison is made when you are actually here to see it. Travel a few miles out of city limits and you see the difference. I don't discount the air quality being harmed by other areas, but this "intelligent" smog concept is pushing the blame onto others as much as the environuts want to distract the effects nature has. There are ways to clean up the city, introduce lower prices and more frequent public transportation and ban all but the most necessary vehicles from downtown. But all this costs money, which was wasted instead on "green" companies like recycling plants and the failed attempt to revive the Monorail (the fiasco I mention a lot) which was pushed by green freaks. My point was that the environuts are not supporting positive or proven change but are instead conning us all out of serious money.

As it is, many of us are. The city is bankrupt and wasting more money each year, most of it on this "green" crap. Most of the people shopping here are tourists and our small businesses are failing unable to keep up with the new "regulations" they are imposing. Some of us who are natives are holding in there for the time being, but even my real life best friend is considering the move (she's an "uber liberal", die hard "love the earth" type) because we are falling apart at the seams. Many are finally seeing the real impact that the Gore Inc is making on us. It's sad, we were such a beautiful city at one time, but now it's all gray and blech, and no money to actually clean up. Our trees are dying from the car exhaust, our lumber industry is gone almost, and the only people making money are the "green" companies ... but they are paid mostly by our taxes now.

I have only been to Seattle once. Around 1991. I was not impressed enough that I would want to return there. It seemed as though it was a dirty back then.

The lumber industry has been going for more than fifty years there. That happens when people just keep cutting trees and they forget to let some grow back or plant replacements.

Have you ever been to the petrified forest in Oregon? The northwest is full of petrified wood. Those trees died at one point or they would not be fossilized.
Tree Deaths Double in Western U.S. ForestsThe researchers ruled out a number of possible causes of the increasing death rates, including air pollution, long-term effects of fire suppression, over-crowding of forests, forest fragmentation and insect attack. These forces tend to play a more limited and temporary role in tree deaths.

I don't agree with everything Gore has to say but people will need to learn to be more responsible with the enviroment when it comes to how people dispose of waste or there won't be much of a sustainable enviroment left to live in.

We should not be flushing all the turds down the rivers and creeks that eventually flow into the Ocean when that same waste can be treated and utilized in a eviromentally effective manner.

Shoot if you walk the beaches in Texas you are eventually bound to see trash that came from Mississppi, Missouri, New Orleans and even Illinois. I know I have been there and it was disgusting to see trash littering the beaches with labels that clearly showed where the trash originated from hundreds of miles away.

On South Padre Island where people congregate, in the wee hours of the morning a tractor with a rake goes up and down the beaches. If it didn't those people might see the debris when they take their morning walks. Can't have that someone may realize the filth that is going striaght into the ocean.

Back when the children were babes we used to fish in private lakes in Southern California. You could not actually eat the fish as they were full of toxins from the runoff that came from the Orange groves. That water heads into streams that flow to the ocean. Plus all the runoff that comes from the gutters and streets.

In Florida while fishing in the Everglades I was told by a friend, "Whatever you do don't eat what you catch here." He then proceeded to tell me about the scientist friend relating to him the government studies that they had done there on the toxins for several years in the fish due to the runoff of chemicals coming mostly from the sugar cane fields. These reports were not released to the public.

Forum List

Back