Obama’s Budget Proposes Up to $750 Billion More Bank-Rescue Aid

KMAN

Jul 9, 2008
When is enough enough? How much more are the tax payers going to have to pay?

I think George Lucas was looking into the future when Queen Amadala said "So this is how liberty dies... To thunderous applause"

Bloomberg.com: News

Great question, KMAN.

But the question that plagues me is will any of that actually change their bad behaviors?

I think it won't.

I think the system was screwed at inception and will continue to screw the working man, the businessman, the entrepenuer, all for the benefit of the manipulators of debt.

Agreed. I think they need to just let these businesses fail... If they keep bailing companies out it is going to continue forever... Afterall if you are one of these CEO's why would you go back to sound business practices when you know the federal government will take care of you...

Last edited:
It's time for the wealthiest out there to come to the aid of their country....they should be the ones privately buying up and financing the banks....not us.

If the banks aren't worth investing in for them, then we shouldn't either...

we only have 5 major banks left now....they DO NOT have the money to loan to us, to fund the 10 trillion dollar economy....

we could give them another 5 trillion in bailouts and they still would not have enough to fund our 12 trillion economy....

NOTHING is going to help us, we are DOOMED.....unless they put in regulations to prevent this from happening again....which i believe they did on the part of NOT letting the industry be their own "watchdog" anymore, because this cleaqrly did NOT work.

But they haven't done anything with the toxic assets and have not brought them in to the light of day, which makes all of the wealthy and retirement pension funds etc, STAY AWAY from investing in and funding the banks again....

They also haven't instituted other regulations that prevent the short "playing" that was done....

key regulation changes or reinstituting some of the old ones that existed before the banks were able to rape America has to take place.....

This was in the article you posted about other things...

The money would be financed in part by the limits on tax deductions for those earning more than $250,000 a year and by requiring insurance companies participating in the Medicare Advantage program to enter into competitive bidding.

‘Carried Interest’ Loophole

The budget proposes raising taxes on hedge-fund managers by eliminating the so-called “carried interest” tax loophole that allows investment managers to pay 15 percent tax rates on their compensation rather than the usual income tax rates. The spending plan would also raise taxes on corporate income earned overseas and crack down on business transactions that are solely designed to reduce companies’ tax bills.

The budget would eliminate the Advance Earned Income Tax Credit, a tax break for low-income earners that government officials have said is poorly administrated.

The spending plan assumes the government would begin taking in at least $75 billion in 2012 from a cap-and-trade system that requires companies to buy credits if they exceed greenhouse-gas limits. That money would be used to invest in clean-energy technology and also help offset higher energy costs for lower-and middle-income Americans, according to officials who spoke on condition of anonymity.

the saying you have to spend money, to make money comes in to play I suppose....

or

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

The problem is NO ONE in the private sector trusts the banks, so they are not funding the banks anymore, who funded us in our ventures of business...

Most of these people funding the banks were buying Mortgage-backed securities and other securities they invented and threw together, selling them to foreign investers ....hiding their toxic values.....

Now that those cards have fallen, they are not getting the money to fund all the other businesses in our economy.

So, what should be done? Don't know....

Just know there is not enough gvt money to fund our recovery....there never will be....the private sector has to invest again....

A stronger, regulated system, preventing these kind of ponzi schemes, has to be put in place, before i would out a dime in to it again....certain others feel the same...

so maybe we just need to live with an economy 3/4 the size of half the size it once was.... I just don't know? :(

Last edited:
Agreed. I think they need to just let these businesses fail... If they keep bailing companies out it is going to continue forever... Afterall if you are one of these CEO's why would you go back to sound business practices when you know the federal government will take care of you...

The major unsound business practices that I see were all done by the banks.

I think you and I are probably on the same page when I say that when it comes to where the problem starts it starts with the FED system.

We may have significantly different solutions to how to restructure our system, but on that single issue, I think we probably agree.

It's time for the wealthiest out there to come to the aid of their country....they should be the ones privately buying up and financing the banks....not us.

They won't.

They know how badly those banks scewed the pooch because they're the people who did it.

If the banks aren't worth investing in for them, then we shouldn't either...

We have, I think no choice but to. I would structure it differently perhaps, but until we change the whole damned system, we're stuck with what we've got.

we only have 5 major banks left now....they DO NOT have the money to loan to us, to fund the 10 trillion dollar economy....

We don't have any money either.

we could give them another 5 trillion in bailouts and they still would not have enough to fund our 12 trillion economy....

I think that about sums it up.

NOTHING is going to help us, we are DOOMED.....unless they put in regulations to prevent this from happening again....which i believe they did on the part of NOT letting the industry be their own "watchdog" anymore, because this cleaqrly did NOT work.

It never does.

But they haven't done anything with the toxic assets and have not brought them in to the light of day, which makes all of the wealthy and retirement pension funds etc, STAY AWAY from investing in and funding the banks again....

Until those banks can offload their mistakes on the people, they are basically insolvent.

They also haven't instituted other regulations that prevent the short "playing" that was done....

So Kramer informs me. I know nothing about that game.,,except it's business as usual. big

key regulation changes or reinstituting some of the old ones that existed before the banks were able to rape America has to take place.....

We had a system that worked. We broke it on stupid banking regulation at a time.

This was in the article you posted about other things...

The money would be financed in part by the limits on tax deductions for those earning more than $250,000 a year and by requiring insurance companies participating in the Medicare Advantage program to enter into competitive bidding.

‘Carried Interest’ Loophole

The budget proposes raising taxes on hedge-fund managers by eliminating the so-called “carried interest” tax loophole that allows investment managers to pay 15 percent tax rates on their compensation rather than the usual income tax rates. The spending plan would also raise taxes on corporate income earned overseas and crack down on business transactions that are solely designed to reduce companies’ tax bills.

The budget would eliminate the Advance Earned Income Tax Credit, a tax break for low-income earners that government officials have said is poorly administrated.

The spending plan assumes the government would begin taking in at least $75 billion in 2012 from a cap-and-trade system that requires companies to buy credits if they exceed greenhouse-gas limits. That money would be used to invest in clean-energy technology and also help offset higher energy costs for lower-and middle-income Americans, according to officials who spoke on condition of anonymity.
[/quote]

Forum List

Back