Obamacare - I'd hold on celebrating victory just yet

OldUSAFSniper

Conservative
Aug 8, 2011
Oklahoma
Supreme Court upholds health care law - NBC Politics

In part it reads:

But in a major victory for the states who challenged the law, the court said that the Obama administration cannot coerce states to go along with the Medicaid insurance program for low-income people.

The financial pressure which the federal government puts on the states in the expansion of Medicaid “is a gun to the head,” Roberts wrote.

“A State that opts out of the Affordable Care Act’s expansion in health care coverage thus stands to lose not merely ‘a relatively small percentage’ of its existing Medicaid funding, but all of it,” Roberts said.

Congress cannot “penalize States that choose not to participate in that new program by taking away their existing Medicaid funding,” Roberts said.

The Medicaid provision is projected to add nearly 30 million more people to the insurance program for low-income Americans -- but the court’s decision left states free to opt out of the expansion if they choose.

So, if I'm reading this right, although the individual mandate has been declared constitutional, Roberts has also said that the states MAY OPT OUT of the entire program!

Still digesting this one... but if 24 states have sued and opt out of the program, where does that leave the entire program?

Oklahoma has already passed a law advising that WE WILL NOT PARTICIPATE. So, another win for the 10th Amendment?

Let's understand this before you lefties break out the champagne...

And if the people in those states realize how far the GOP has gone in going against the interests of the citizens of those states, where does that leave the GOP? You might note that there are a lot of small businesses that are much in favor of the health care.

And if the people in those states realize how far the GOP has gone in going against the interests of the citizens of those states, where does that leave the GOP? You might note that there are a lot of small businesses that are much in favor of the health care.

Do you really think that this abortion of a health care act is supported by a majority of the people? Or that small business who is now required to provide health care is happy about it?

so if obamatax was so freaking great why did he give 1200 waivers? doyathink?

Lol...it can be repealed. The lefties who are hooting like monkeys are idiots.

I used to be a small business owner and now I own a ranch. I am a member of the Rotary club and other clubs around town and I have NEVER spoken to a small business owner that likes this monstrosity. Perhaps in a blue state you can find some that do indeed like the ACA, but not here.

I would wait until this is completely analyzed before jumping to conclusions. If states are allowed to opt out, then what does that do to the entire program. Can half the country have a fully functioning program?

We'll see...

The states who opt out will be seen as fools in time.

once its no longer a political football.

The people will demand to get what the other states people are getting

States get to publicly vote to leave people out in the cold, that you people are too expensive for us to care about, interesting.

Lol...it can be repealed. The lefties who are hooting like monkeys are idiots.

Not idiots, I would love congress to take up health care reform again and soon.

Agreed. Congress will HAVE to address health care reform again... soon.

With the door now open for states to opt out of Obamacare, that will leave those states that are controlled by the Democrats as the only participants. I would look for other RED states to opt out almost immediately. That means that around 35 states will probably opt out.

Let's look at California. 16 BILLION short fall in their budget. How are they going to be able to afford this? Can only a section of the country be successful in implementing the program?

Although the individual mandate has been upheld, the opt out section of the decision throws a MAJOR wrench into the whole situation.

Thoughts on what is going to happen? Is Obamacare now toothless?

I used to be a small business owner and now I own a ranch. I am a member of the Rotary club and other clubs around town and I have NEVER spoken to a small business owner that likes this monstrosity. Perhaps in a blue state you can find some that do indeed like the ACA, but not here.

I would wait until this is completely analyzed before jumping to conclusions. If states are allowed to opt out, then what does that do to the entire program. Can half the country have a fully functioning program?

We'll see...

You do realize that small businesses are exempt right?

In part it reads:

But in a major victory for the states who challenged the law, the court said that the Obama administration cannot coerce states to go along with the Medicaid insurance program for low-income people.

The financial pressure which the federal government puts on the states in the expansion of Medicaid “is a gun to the head,” Roberts wrote.

“A State that opts out of the Affordable Care Act’s expansion in health care coverage thus stands to lose not merely ‘a relatively small percentage’ of its existing Medicaid funding, but all of it,” Roberts said.

Congress cannot “penalize States that choose not to participate in that new program by taking away their existing Medicaid funding,” Roberts said.

The Medicaid provision is projected to add nearly 30 million more people to the insurance program for low-income Americans -- but the court’s decision left states free to opt out of the expansion if they choose.

So, if I'm reading this right, although the individual mandate has been declared constitutional, Roberts has also said that the states MAY OPT OUT of the entire program!

Still digesting this one... but if 24 states have sued and opt out of the program, where does that leave the entire program?

Oklahoma has already passed a law advising that WE WILL NOT PARTICIPATE. So, another win for the 10th Amendment?

It may mean that states can opt out of it, on the other hand, it also may just mean that the Feds have to keeping funding it themselves and not force the states to do so. However there is no mechanism in the bill to provide that funding.

In part it reads:

It may mean that states can opt out of it, on the other hand, it also may just mean that the Feds have to keeping funding it themselves and not force the states to do so. However there is no mechanism in the bill to provide that funding.
"We have to pass the bill to find out what's in it!"

Apparently, what's in it is a lot of incompetent bullshit.

Sarah Palin wrote a fab article about it on FB, of course.

"Obamacare was dealt in deception and confusion by flooding the public with an overwhelming amount of conflicting “rationale” via thousands of ...pages of unread legislative detail, which is the radical left’s M.O. Obama promised the American people this wasn’t a tax and that he’d never raise taxes on anyone making less than $250,000. We now see that this is the largest tax increase in history. It will slam every business owner and every one of the 50% of Americans who currently pay their taxes. The other 50% are being deceived if they think they’re going to get a free ride – because Medicaid is broke. Recipients of Obama’s “free health care” will have fewer choices and less accessibility. Trust me – this much more expensive health care WILL be rationed; to claim otherwise defies all economic and common sense. "

https://www.facebook.com/#!/sarahpalin

Forum List

Back