Obamacare Going After 1099ers

I have a question for the OP...................what state do you live in, and did the governor of your state accept or refuse the Medicaid expansion?

If you live in a state that refused, then the problem isn't the ACA, it's your governors desire to stop it, because if they accepted the Medicaid expansion, the price of insurance actually goes down.
I live in Arizona and have no idea what the Gov. did. I'm the guy who hires the 25 year old non grad looking to get a skill. I'm the guy who hires the first time offender looking to turn his life around. I'm the guy who hires the vet.

I'm NOT some big time contractor just a little guy trying to do what I can.
So again, how is it your problem that your independent contractors need insurance?

It's called compassion dimwit.

How is it "compassion" to say "I don't give a shit about my employees, I'm shutting it down"?

Here's the part of the OP that intrigues me:

Apparently DarkFury's contractors "...got letters from the ACHA or whatever you call it..."

Why did his contractors receive letters? Standard procedure is for the employer to receive any and all tax information. So that's suspect from the get-go, though not nearly as amusing as the fact that he doesn't know or care about the actual name of the agency responsible.

Perhaps his absence from the thread means he's looking that up and he'll get back to us.
But I am NOT an employer per law. I am a contractor with SUB contractors.

If your profit margin is such that you cannot increase your sub-contractors pay to offset their insurance expenses then you must do whatever is necessary to protect yourself and your business. Obamacare has forced many small businesses to close their doors, cut employee hours and make other adjustments. You will do whatever is in the best interest of yourself and your company.
He might start by figuring out which agency ostensibly bypassed him and sent his subcontractors letters instead...

No agency bypassed him. Do you not realize that these people are contractors themselves. For all intents and purposes these people are self-employed. The government looks to them.
As I said upthread, I work on 1099s myself. Tax forms go to my clients, who complete them and pass them along to me in January. I know of no instance where "ACHA or whatever it's called" (the fact that he doesn't even know what it's called should have been your first clue) sends the kind of letter he's describing directly to the subcontractor and not to the employer.

He's been asked several times to clarify, and he just keeps spinning his little fairy tale. That should be your second clue.

His goal is to prey on the sympathies of people gullible enough to believe "Obamacare forced me out of business!"

I am writing this a person who employs 6 1099'ers. They just got letters from the ACHA or whatever you call it to tell them they HAD to show proof of APPROVED health care insurance OR buy into Obamacare.

Now I only have six private contractors {1099} and have no one on a 1040 because it cuts book keeping costs. A 1099 employer does NOT withold taxes
or social security and in my state even child support. That is up to the 1099er.

The sign up costs are ranging from 7 to 900 dollars with the monthlies at 4 to 500.
They CANNOT afford it. Now before you all chime in and say I should be paying more my insurance costs ARE higher because of who I hire.

See I do a lot of little insurance work, minor fire and flood repair and wind storm.
One person I hired did 18 months for selling pot because he got caught with a pound so nobody would hire him. And another had more then one to many DWI's so nobody would hire him. But I did and and my rates went up because of it.

So I am already paying extra for employing them. And the profit margin I make is not that big because I do it more because I am bored VS needing the money. So its cheaper to close shop and un-employ six people then it is to give raises or raise my rates.
No biggie....you rich bastard.....you can afford the extra expense.....Obama says.

His story sounds plausible to you?
There is a fiscal "spot" where a contractor goes from 1099 to 1040. The elderly and disabled tend to buy within the 1099 employers because its cheaper.

What Obamacare or ACHA or whatever you want to call it is hurting the little guy and his/her employees. I found a niche that WAS workable to a group and now cost will PREVENT that group from getting service.

Six jobs may not seem like a lot to you but ONE job to them is important.

I submit you're the one who's arguing that six jobs are unimportant to you, since you're willing to let these people go without a twinge of conscience.

Then again, the details of your story don't add up, but the ongoing saga is fascinating.

Of course they don't add up. Like I said before, it's probably just another elaborate fury lie.

My insurance was originally going to go up by over 80% till they dropped it down to a paltry 45% increase. All for less coverage and and higher copays. Add to that the fact that it will take a hospital stay to even begin to touch the deductable and you have a system that enriches the insurance companies and fucks over the middle class.

There's only one insurer with only one tier in your state?

There is indeed only one in my state. We have a population under 3 million and the insurance companies, unlike almost every other business in this country are allowed to have monopoly's. Funny how denying them that "right" never seemed to cross your minds and instead you decided to completely ruin a system that while not perfect, at least worked.

I guess screwing the middle class out of their hard earned money is OK in your book so long as their suffering makes them want to enact your single payer system.

So nice to see what "compassionate" people you all are.

For the obtuse out there that is known as "sarcasm". Look it up.

I am writing this a person who employs 6 1099'ers. They just got letters from the ACHA or whatever you call it to tell them they HAD to show proof of APPROVED health care insurance OR buy into Obamacare.

Now I only have six private contractors {1099} and have no one on a 1040 because it cuts book keeping costs. A 1099 employer does NOT withold taxes
or social security and in my state even child support. That is up to the 1099er.

The sign up costs are ranging from 7 to 900 dollars with the monthlies at 4 to 500.
They CANNOT afford it. Now before you all chime in and say I should be paying more my insurance costs ARE higher because of who I hire.

See I do a lot of little insurance work, minor fire and flood repair and wind storm.
One person I hired did 18 months for selling pot because he got caught with a pound so nobody would hire him. And another had more then one to many DWI's so nobody would hire him. But I did and and my rates went up because of it.

So I am already paying extra for employing them. And the profit margin I make is not that big because I do it more because I am bored VS needing the money. So its cheaper to close shop and un-employ six people then it is to give raises or raise my rates.
No biggie....you rich bastard.....you can afford the extra expense.....Obama says.

There is a fiscal "spot" where a contractor goes from 1099 to 1040. The elderly and disabled tend to buy within the 1099 employers because its cheaper.

What Obamacare or ACHA or whatever you want to call it is hurting the little guy and his/her employees. I found a niche that WAS workable to a group and now cost will PREVENT that group from getting service.

I submit you're the one who's arguing that six jobs are unimportant to you, since you're willing to let these people go without a twinge of conscience.

Then again, the details of your story don't add up, but the ongoing saga is fascinating.

I submit you haven't read what he said.

I have a question for the OP...................what state do you live in, and did the governor of your state accept or refuse the Medicaid expansion?

If you live in a state that refused, then the problem isn't the ACA, it's your governors desire to stop it, because if they accepted the Medicaid expansion, the price of insurance actually goes down.
I live in Arizona and have no idea what the Gov. did. I'm the guy who hires the 25 year old non grad looking to get a skill. I'm the guy who hires the first time offender looking to turn his life around. I'm the guy who hires the vet.

I'm NOT some big time contractor just a little guy trying to do what I can.
So again, how is it your problem that your independent contractors need insurance?

It's called compassion dimwit.

How is it "compassion" to say "I don't give a shit about my employees, I'm shutting it down"?

Fool. You expect him to keep his business going just so his six subcontractors have a job? Get real.

There is indeed only one in my state. We have a population under 3 million and the insurance companies, unlike almost every other business in this country are allowed to have monopoly's. Funny how denying them that "right" never seemed to cross your minds and instead you decided to completely ruin a system that while not perfect, at least worked.

I'm not certain how you can argue that a monopoly "works" for the consumer under any circumstances. I'm betting your state legislators refused to set up their own exchange as well. Your beef is with them (see if you can find out how much of their campaign contributions come from that insurer, and whether any of them are on the board). Those are the people who are lacking in compassion.

That said, you may still have other options. Try this:

Subsidy Calculator Widget

Bottom line is truly VERY simple. It cannot sustain it's self if it takes on the added costs. I had at one time seven auction houses and if they could NOT gross 400 dollars per hour I closed it and found another building in another town.

If you take away its ability to sustain its self it dies be it by regulation or mandate or just poor market. In this case regulation effects ALL markets thus moving would do nothing.

Apparently DarkFury's contractors "...got letters from the ACHA or whatever you call it..."

Why did his contractors receive letters? Standard procedure is for the employer to receive any and all tax information. So that's suspect from the get-go, though not nearly as amusing as the fact that he doesn't know or care about the actual name of the agency responsible.

Perhaps his absence from the thread means he's looking that up and he'll get back to us.

If your profit margin is such that you cannot increase your sub-contractors pay to offset their insurance expenses then you must do whatever is necessary to protect yourself and your business. Obamacare has forced many small businesses to close their doors, cut employee hours and make other adjustments. You will do whatever is in the best interest of yourself and your company.
He might start by figuring out which agency ostensibly bypassed him and sent his subcontractors letters instead...

No agency bypassed him. Do you not realize that these people are contractors themselves. For all intents and purposes these people are self-employed. The government looks to them.
As I said upthread, I work on 1099s myself. Tax forms go to my clients, who complete them and pass them along to me in January. I know of no instance where "ACHA or whatever it's called" (the fact that he doesn't even know what it's called should have been your first clue) sends the kind of letter he's describing directly to the subcontractor and not to the employer.

He's been asked several times to clarify, and he just keeps spinning his little fairy tale. That should be your second clue.

His goal is to prey on the sympathies of people gullible enough to believe "Obamacare forced me out of business!"

Fool. He's not an employer. Those that work for him are contractors themselves therefore the government communicates directly with them.

I'm not certain how you can argue that a monopoly "works" for the consumer under any circumstances. I'm betting your state legislators refused to set up their own exchange as well. Your beef is with them (see if you can find out how much of their campaign contributions come from that insurer, and whether any of them are on the board). Those are the people who are lacking in compassion.

That said, you may still have other options. Try this:

Subsidy Calculator Widget

You really should shut up while you are loosing.

But I am NOT rich nor are they. And they are being punished for NOT being rich.

How are they being punished?

Fool. He's not an employer. Those that work for him are contractors themselves therefore the government communicates directly with them.

No.

No.

Look nutcase. These contractors pay their taxes on a quarterly basis. They pay BOTH parts of their Social Security. If they don't make their tax payments and Social Security deposits on time, the IRS comes after THEM - not after Dark Fury. You know nothing.

YOU are a 1099?
Okay, who pays your taxes you or your employer?
Who pays your Social Security you or your employer?
Who pays your insurance you or your employer?
Do you or do you not get workman's comp as a 1099?
Do YOU get health insurance as a 1099?

As A 1099 that is ALL put on YOU the SUB contractor.
Do you get UN-employment insurance?
Once again no.

Exactly, I have worked 1099's for the past 15 years the tax forms go to the clients

Exactly, I have worked 1099's for the past 15 years the tax forms go to the clients

Of course Dark Fury issues the tax forms to the contractors but he does not withhold any taxes or Social Security nor does he pay the employers portion of their Social Security. The government will contact them - not Dark Fury if they fail to pay their taxes and make their Social Security deposits. More ignorance.

YOU are a 1099?
Okay, who pays your taxes you or your employer?
Who pays your Social Security you or your employer?
Who pays your insurance you or your employer?
Do you or do you not get workman's comp as a 1099?
Do YOU get health insurance as a 1099?

As A 1099 that is ALL put on YOU the SUB contractor.
Do you get UN-employment insurance?
Once again no.

These folks apparently do some income tax work for run-of-the-mill taxpayers. They have never employed nor worked as a contractor.

Of course Dark Fury issues the tax forms to the contractors but he does not withhold any taxes or Social Security nor does he pay the employers portion of their Social Security. The government will contact them - not Dark Fury if they fail to pay their taxes and make their Social Security deposits. More ignorance.
And the Obamacare/ACHA letters go to the SUB contractor as I am NOT by legal defines an employer.

Forum List

Back