Obamacare Going After 1099ers

I am writing this a person who employs 6 1099'ers. They just got letters from the ACHA or whatever you call it to tell them they HAD to show proof of APPROVED health care insurance OR buy into Obamacare.

Now I only have six private contractors {1099} and have no one on a 1040 because it cuts book keeping costs. A 1099 employer does NOT withold taxes
or social security and in my state even child support. That is up to the 1099er.

The sign up costs are ranging from 7 to 900 dollars with the monthlies at 4 to 500.
They CANNOT afford it. Now before you all chime in and say I should be paying more my insurance costs ARE higher because of who I hire.

See I do a lot of little insurance work, minor fire and flood repair and wind storm.
One person I hired did 18 months for selling pot because he got caught with a pound so nobody would hire him. And another had more then one to many DWI's so nobody would hire him. But I did and and my rates went up because of it.

So I am already paying extra for employing them. And the profit margin I make is not that big because I do it more because I am bored VS needing the money. So its cheaper to close shop and un-employ six people then it is to give raises or raise my rates.

They have got to get the money to keep the thing afloat. The penalties should begin to kick in this year and many folks are going to have to pay.
I have just went over the numbers for about the 10th time. I need to shut down. Its the only smart thing to do. They are good people, really many in the middle of turning their lives around but I can't take on the extra and the folks I do the work for can't pay the extra.
You need to incorporate to allay the rules....

I am writing this a person who employs 6 1099'ers. They just got letters from the ACHA or whatever you call it to tell them they HAD to show proof of APPROVED health care insurance OR buy into Obamacare.

Now I only have six private contractors {1099} and have no one on a 1040 because it cuts book keeping costs. A 1099 employer does NOT withold taxes
or social security and in my state even child support. That is up to the 1099er.

The sign up costs are ranging from 7 to 900 dollars with the monthlies at 4 to 500.
They CANNOT afford it. Now before you all chime in and say I should be paying more my insurance costs ARE higher because of who I hire.

See I do a lot of little insurance work, minor fire and flood repair and wind storm.
One person I hired did 18 months for selling pot because he got caught with a pound so nobody would hire him. And another had more then one to many DWI's so nobody would hire him. But I did and and my rates went up because of it.

So I am already paying extra for employing them. And the profit margin I make is not that big because I do it more because I am bored VS needing the money. So its cheaper to close shop and un-employ six people then it is to give raises or raise my rates.

Sorry that you are going through this...have you looked into a Catastrophic health insurance plan?

How to Buy a Catastrophic Health Insurance Plan
Good advice for someone who's actually interested in purchasing insurance, but DarkFury's whole motivation is to avoid providing insurance to the people who work for him...that's why he's redesignated them as 1099ers and not employees.
No I chose 1099 to save on book keeping and it saves a lot.
MY profits come from savings NOT higher prices.
It sounds lime your profit comes from incorrectly classifying your employees

Sorry that you are going through this...have you looked into a Catastrophic health insurance plan?

Good advice for someone who's actually interested in purchasing insurance, but DarkFury's whole motivation is to avoid providing insurance to the people who work for him...that's why he's redesignated them as 1099ers and not employees.
So you don't get payed, you live on your savings....?

Here's the part of the OP that intrigues me:

Apparently DarkFury's contractors "...got letters from the ACHA or whatever you call it..."

Why did his contractors receive letters? Standard procedure is for the employer to receive any and all tax information. So that's suspect from the get-go, though not nearly as amusing as the fact that he doesn't know or care about the actual name of the agency responsible.

Perhaps his absence from the thread means he's looking that up and he'll get back to us.
But I am NOT an employer per law. I am a contractor with SUB contractors.

They have got to get the money to keep the thing afloat. The penalties should begin to kick in this year and many folks are going to have to pay.
I have just went over the numbers for about the 10th time. I need to shut down. Its the only smart thing to do. They are good people, really many in the middle of turning their lives around but I can't take on the extra and the folks I do the work for can't pay the extra.
Right. Shutting down a profitable business makes sense.
Shutting down BEFORE profit loss is key to not going under on a personal level.

Why would you lose profit because your employees have to buy insurance

So you don't get payed, you live on your savings....?
I do work for a lot of people on SS. They cannot afford a price bounce. So I keep costs low and am able for them to afford it. My SUB contractors are merely people looking for a second chance and they are the ones being hurt.

There is no insurance called "Obamacare."

And that non existent insurance is raising the premiums by most people by 45%. Some of them by 85% as reported today. Talk about screwing the middle class! You guys are great at that!

Why would you lose profit because your employees have to buy insurance
I am not losing profit but price squeezes them and they can't do it and I can't make up the difference without losing over 50% of what it makes as a whole.

And that non existent insurance is raising the premiums by most people by 45%. Some of them by 85% as reported today. Talk about screwing the middle class! You guys are great at that!

Gonna need some data for that.

I have a question for the OP...................what state do you live in, and did the governor of your state accept or refuse the Medicaid expansion?

If you live in a state that refused, then the problem isn't the ACA, it's your governors desire to stop it, because if they accepted the Medicaid expansion, the price of insurance actually goes down.

Gonna need some data for that.

It's been provided many, many times. Go look in the Obamacare thread.

That's done all the time. Many very large companies and corporations employ folks they deem private contractors all the time. It takes care of a lot of payroll costs.

I have a question for the OP...................what state do you live in, and did the governor of your state accept or refuse the Medicaid expansion?

If you live in a state that refused, then the problem isn't the ACA, it's your governors desire to stop it, because if they accepted the Medicaid expansion, the price of insurance actually goes down.
I live in Arizona and have no idea what the Gov. did. I'm the guy who hires the 25 year old non grad looking to get a skill. I'm the guy who hires the first time offender looking to turn his life around. I'm the guy who hires the vet.

I'm NOT some big time contractor just a little guy trying to do what I can.

exactly in one case

total medical expenses including premiums cost cost 7400 this year

what the insurance company offered this coming year for same exact services would cost just shy of 22 grand

I live in Arizona and have no idea what the Gov. did. I'm the guy who hires the 25 year old non grad looking to get a skill. I'm the guy who hires the first time offender looking to turn his life around. I'm the guy who hires the vet.

So again, how is it your problem that your independent contractors need insurance?

So again, how is it your problem that your independent contractors need insurance?
Its not really my problem its feeling bad that a GOOD group of folks have to suffer.

Its not really my problem its feeling bad that a GOOD group of folks have to suffer.

They are working and need to sign up and pay premiums, which is based on their income. You carry comp and liability don't you? Do they have a DBA?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back