Obama ... We Need to Overcome Our Religious Convictions?

POTUS does know that the first people to settle in the American Colonies fled Europe to escape Religious Persecution?

Didn't the POTUS say this?

Opposition in some cases has been based on sincere and deeply held beliefs,” Obama said. “All of us who welcome today’s news should be mindful of that fact. Recognize different viewpoints. Revere our deep commitment to religious freedom

Obama thinks all of you should still be getting in PEOPLES faces. what a LEADER eh?

I hope a few of you do and end up with fat noses...lol

And what do you try to do Stephanie? Read your own posts; you try - of course you fail - to get into the faces of those who are not members of the Crazy Right Wing. Those of us who are sane, and do not hold to the view of you and others' reality challenged, simply laugh at your attempt at rhetoric.

I don't know if you've ever been convicted of anything but an allegation that you're a partisan hack filled with hate would be easy to sustain.

Running your mouth despite your face, aren't we, Wry?

My post was not pointed at you TK (your failure to post the person who it was pointed at is noted as one more time you've lied by omission) though it might easily be applied to you.

Can you prove that gheys getting married will be the demise of organized religion? Or that it will in any way hinder the practice of a religion?

Again, argumentum ad absurdum, and it's already hindering it.
You again fail to assert any direct relationship...

We have already seen people question allowing tax exempt status for chruches due to this ruling, we will see an increase in people being sued for not providing services due to moral issues, and we will surely see more public shaming of people who do not agree with SSM as a legal construct.

It's the same tired trick all the time with progressives, proclaim a desire for equality and freedom while at the same time removing both from people they disagree with.

Within the legal confines of commerce, people should have to follow the law. Beyond that, think and believe whatever you want.

Freedom within a society isn't about everyone being able to do whatever they want. That would never work. It's about making things as fair as possible for everyone.

Where in the constitution does it say a person loses their free exercise of religion because they engage in commerce?

And your second statement is argumentum ad absurdum, and not even worth my time.

In reply to the first paragraph, I didn't say it did.

As for your second paragraph, explain why it is "argumentum ad absurdum."

No wonder the adults tell you to shush. You can work against civil rights if you want, and you will be treated accordingly. Better you MYOB. Besides you are not Christian at all.

I never said I was. I am a lapses Catholic at best.

And the fact is at this point YOUR side is working against Civil rights, the rights of people to practice their religion as they see fit.

YOUR side is the bully now.
I have seen no edicts promoting the cessation of all religious activities....

Argumentum ad absurdum.

Moonglow did not offer an argument, thus your effort to suggest you have a knowledge of informal logic is busted.
It was just a derisive attempt at robotic redundancy...

And well done, I should add.

Speaking in the Rose Garden shortly after the Supreme Court decision on same-sex marriage was announced, Obama stated that the progressives in society needs to ‘help’ those with deeply held religious beliefs overcome their convictions.

I did not listen to the speech, but have seen this here and there on the internet. Although, not on any of the major news agencies/papers (CNN,FOX, Washington Post, NY Times etc.)

What are your thoughts on his statement above? Is it misquoted?

Here's what I found:

Speaking in the Rose Garden shortly after the Supreme Court decision on same-sex marriage was announced, Obama stated that the progressives in society needs to ‘help’ those with deeply held religious beliefs overcome their convictions.

NO Quote Marks ^^^

“Opposition in some cases has been based on sincere and deeply held beliefs,” Obama said. “All of us who welcome today’snews should be mindful of that fact. Recognize different viewpoints. Revere our deep commitment to religious freedom.”

Quoted remarks ^^^

I'll let others search the Internet, for me this thread is busted.

If you read the original post, I asked if it was a misquote... typical Liberal

Thank you for showing your colors. If by "typical Liberal" you mean liberals (small "l", a capital L unless the first word in a sentence means a member of the Liberal Party) are those who fact check and don't rumor monger that's true.

Your thread was an example of a troll seeking to ignite the Crazy Right Wing in a frenzy of echo's. I'm so sorry (not) to spoil your fun.

Again, argumentum ad absurdum, and it's already hindering it.
You again fail to assert any direct relationship...

We have already seen people question allowing tax exempt status for chruches due to this ruling, we will see an increase in people being sued for not providing services due to moral issues, and we will surely see more public shaming of people who do not agree with SSM as a legal construct.

It's the same tired trick all the time with progressives, proclaim a desire for equality and freedom while at the same time removing both from people they disagree with.

Within the legal confines of commerce, people should have to follow the law. Beyond that, think and believe whatever you want.

Freedom within a society isn't about everyone being able to do whatever they want. That would never work. It's about making things as fair as possible for everyone.

Where in the constitution does it say a person loses their free exercise of religion because they engage in commerce?

And your second statement is argumentum ad absurdum, and not even worth my time.

In reply to the first paragraph, I didn't say it did.

As for your second paragraph, explain why it is "argumentum ad absurdum."

Bakers are not asking to do "anything they want". Those specific bakers just don't want to work on a gay wedding. You imply that asking for that is asking for carte blanche, which is clearly not the case.

I did not listen to the speech, but have seen this here and there on the internet. Although, not on any of the major news agencies/papers (CNN,FOX, Washington Post, NY Times etc.)

Fuck him. He needs to overcome his sympathy towards Islam.

Thank you for showing your colors. If by "typical Liberal" you mean liberals (small "l", a capital L unless the first word in a sentence means a member of the Liberal Party) are those who fact check and don't rumor monger that's true.

Your thread was an example of a troll seeking to ignite the Crazy Right Wing in a frenzy of echo's. I'm so sorry (not) to spoil your fun.

Typical on this Board for sure. Doesn't bother to read through the thread or even the initial post, only sees what they want to see, ignores that I admitted it was a mis-quote, much more interested in bashing... carry on.....

You guys are absolutely right! GOD FORBID there ever be a shift in the hearts and minds of people who hold deeply hateful beliefs toward a minority under the guise of a religion!

2m493pj.jpg

Last edited:
The issue was resolved not because of religion, the issue was resolved because of fairness in contractual law, which is what marriage is, a contract...

Spot on ^^^. We need to remember that there are those who only believe in the rule of law, when the law is something of which they approve. Otherwise they have believe they have the right to ignore or nullify it.

You guys are absolutely right! GOD FORBID there ever be a shift in the hearts and minds of people who hold deeply hateful beliefs toward a minority under the guise of a religion!

2m493pj.jpg

Wow, you are mind readers too... impressive.

Time to stop letting an ancient book of myths and fairy tales run your life and join the 21st century.

I disagree.

Personally, I could be classified as an agnostic because I admit that even though I doubt there's a "God," and I've seen nothing that makes me think that there is one, I don't know for certain that there isn't one.

However, other people are entitled to feel and believe differently. The line though (to me) is when they want their beliefs reflected in what are supposed to be secular laws.

REALLY, where does it say our laws are suppose to be secular? just because you people claim that doesn't mean the rest of the country believes it

Of course people like you believe they are above the law, that's why we have jails, prisons and locked psychiatric facilities.

Time to stop letting an ancient book of myths and fairy tales run your life and join the 21st century.

I disagree.

Personally, I could be classified as an agnostic because I admit that even though I doubt there's a "God," and I've seen nothing that makes me think that there is one, I don't know for certain that there isn't one.

However, other people are entitled to feel and believe differently. The line though (to me) is when they want their beliefs reflected in what are supposed to be secular laws.

REALLY, where does it say our laws are suppose to be secular? just because you people claim that doesn't mean the rest of the country believes it

Of course people like you believe they are above the law, that's why we have jails, prisons and locked psychiatric facilities.

This actually applies to every dem and most rep politicians. Instead of jail they get sent back to the government. Thanks mostly to stupid voters and corrupt media.

He wants us to forget about laws, morals, or decency.

He's a Godless commie.

Nuff said.

Is it legal to defame others?
Is it moral to lie about others?
Is it decent to lie about others?

Seems to me this thread does all this by innuendo; strongly suggesting its author is, not a "Godless commie", but a dishonest partisan hack.

Last edited:

2m493pj.jpg

Wow, you are mind readers too... impressive.
That huge whooshing sound you just heard over your head that flattened your pointy cap was the nukular destruction of the bogus premise that religious people can't be wrong about any hateful convictions they may hold.

Last edited:

I disagree.

This actually applies to every dem and most rep politicians. Instead of jail they get sent back to the government. Thanks mostly to stupid voters and corrupt media.

I disagree that it's "every" dem. It's more realistic to say that it goes for most of both parties.

Forum List

Back