Obama Wags the Dog

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Stephanie, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    SNIP:
    Email Ben Shapiro | Columnist's Archive Share Buzz 0diggsdigg
    Sign-Up What is this really about?

As the price of oil skyrockets, as our debt levels rise to new highs and our housing market drops to new lows, President Obama decides that it is a fantastic time to start dropping bombs on Libya. Nobody, including Obama, seems to know what our objective is in Libya. First, it was deposing terroristic thug Muammar Qaddafi; then it was standing up for the United Nations; then it was protecting civilians; now it is some combination of all of them. This is the same man who once explained with regard to Middle East policy, "I can tell you this -- when I am president of the United States, the American people and the world will always know where I stand." Now, finding where Obama stands is tougher than finding a cane-less Waldo in a crowd of Christmas elves.

Meanwhile, the international community floats aimlessly through Obama's sea of foreign policy vagary. For a community organizer, Obama sure has trouble organizing the international community. Perhaps that's because even he doesn't know why we're in Libya.

One matter is crystal clear, however: we're certainly not in Libya for the reasons Obama has articulated.

Let's not deceive ourselves into believing that Obama has become an ardent advocate of Muslim freedom -- only a few short years ago, he was badmouthing President Bush's campaign in Iraq, ignoring Iranian pleas for freedom from the mullahs, and sending ambassadors to parlay with Hamas.

Let's not pretend, either, that America has serious interests at stake in Libya -- we don't. The rebels are backed by al-Qaida, the same people we're supposed to be fighting. Obama criticized the Iraq War for taking our eye off the ball with regard to al-Qaida; now, he's not merely taking our eye off the ball, but he's throwing the game to al-Qaida. Muammar Qaddafi deserves to lose his head, but America doesn't deserve a Libya run by an even worse foe. As for the U.N., we had more allies and more U.N. support for the war in Iraq, which Obama opposed.

As for Obama's contention that he wants to protect Libyan civilians, that also rings false. After all, the best way to protect Libyan civilians is to put highly trained allied troops on the ground in Libya -- as Obama himself has acknowledged. Back in 2007, Obama criticized President Bush's Afghanistan military policy for lack of boots, stating that the U.S. needed to "get the job done ... [which] requires us to have enough troops that we're not just air raiding villages and killing civilians."

So what's this really about? President Obama's war of choice in Libya is, very simply, a wag the dog scenario.

read it all here.
    Obama Wags the Dog - Ben Shapiro - Townhall Conservative

2. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,948
    before he was being called ball less ...too scared to take action....

damned if you do..damned if you dont

3. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    I seem to recall being called a 'traitor' when I criticized Bush during the War in Iraq. But this is different. Obama isn't really the President of the United States.

4. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,863
    What is different here is the Left supporting what it criticized 8 years ago. No Plan, no Consent, no exit strategy. Nobody ever talks about the State Department's role in all this, then or now. It would seem that Obama is more concerned about what the UN thinks, rather than the USA. Who are his people again??? Just checking. ;)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,653
    Exactly. And the last time we heard "Wag the Dog" was Clinton and then later they bitched about him NOT taking out Osama bin Laden.

But then again, we are talking about Stephanie who determines her support of the military STRICTLY based on politics.

6. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,653
    Really? I'm a Leftie and I don't support this attack....but then again, I also roll my eyes up at partisan (I will only support the military if they are righties) hacks like Stephanie.

7. R.D.

R.D. Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,375
    He still is

8. Emma

Emma Evil Liberal Leftist™

Thanks Received:
    On the street, acting all loud and tumultuous and
    Ratings:
    +757
    And the right is criticizing what it supported 8 years ago :)

For the record, I think Obama was wrong to do this, just as Bush was back then. I'm consistent ;)

9. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    yet both polical factions are powerless to do anything but criticize. That outta tell us something. A guy runs for president and promises to change everything but does the same thing. Who or what really running the show ? Tell me again why voting is important ?

10. westwall

westwall USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,711

No, they seem to merely be calling out the hypocrisy of the Dems.