Obama to call for 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repeal, adviser says

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
This will go over like a turd in the punchbowl. :doubt:

Washington (CNN) -- President Obama will ask Congress Wednesday night to repeal the military's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy that bars gays and lesbians from openly serving in the military, White House Senior Adviser David Axelrod told CNN.

The request will be included in the president's State of the Union address, Axelrod said.

The issue has been a source of contention for heavy hitters on both sides of the issue, who are lining up for a fight.

In a message to Pentagon leadership, Gen. John Shalikashvili, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said it's time to repeal the law.

Obama to call for 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repeal, adviser says - CNN.com

Wow, he's really putting himself out on a limb in an attempt to keep at least one of his promises.

Wow, he's really putting himself out on a limb in an attempt to keep at least one of his promises.

Not really. He's putting it forth to congress with his support. Congress could tell him to fuck off and he could shrug and say "Well, I tried."

Only people who are going to be overly concerned about this are the people who didn't vote for Obama in 2008 and aren't going to vote for him in 2012 already. Right now, Obama is doing here what he should of done in the first place, act like the Liberal candidate he ran as.

Last edited:
i think this one will pretty much ensure he doesn't have a second term.

$l_cf051e9f1c8af2100169ad76214d2e1b.jpg

I think this one will pretty much ensure he doesn't have a second term.

I agree. Personally, I'm not opposed to homosexuals serving openly. I am in a minority in that opinion though. That said, I do have a problem wth politicans using the Military as a vehicle for social change. The GOP won't even have to fling this back at him. If he mentions it tonight, the media will fling it for them.

This will go over like a turd in the punchbowl. :doubt:

Washington (CNN) -- President Obama will ask Congress Wednesday night to repeal the military's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy that bars gays and lesbians from openly serving in the military, White House Senior Adviser David Axelrod told CNN.

The request will be included in the president's State of the Union address, Axelrod said.

The issue has been a source of contention for heavy hitters on both sides of the issue, who are lining up for a fight.

In a message to Pentagon leadership, Gen. John Shalikashvili, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said it's time to repeal the law.

Obama to call for 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repeal, adviser says - CNN.com

Now Obama can join
:eusa_whistle:

I agree. Personally, I'm not opposed to homosexuals serving openly. I am in a minority in that opinion though. That said, I do have a problem wth politicans using the Military as a vehicle for social change. The GOP won't even have to fling this back at him. If he mentions it tonight, the media will fling it for them.

A vehicle for social change? How about catching the military up with the rest of the country?

National (US) Poll * April 30, 2009 * Gays In The Military Should Be - Quinnipiac University – Hamden, Connecticut

The ban on openly gay men and women in the military should be repealed, American voters say 56 - 37 percent, including 50 - 43 percent among voters with family in the military, according to a Quinnipiac University national poll released today. American voters who think being gay is an individual's choice, 36 percent, are generally less supportive of gay rights than those who think people are born gay, 42 percent.

What's so funny? You don't fuck with something that works just fine in an attempt to make yourself look like you accomplished something when you haven't done shit.

And THIS particular policy sure as fuck isn't broke.

Look at my last post there Dissy. You have no clue what you're talking about.

A vehicle for social change? How about catching the military up with the rest of the country?

Exactly. If anything the Military should of been at the forefront of social change. They were back in the 50's with allowing blacks to serve alongside whites in Korea. Although it did not go into place fully until Vietnam.

good point

may ask though, should the military always be caught up with the rest of the country?

good point

may ask though, should the military always be caught up with the rest of the country?

Ask yourself the following:

Should blacks be allowed to serve in the military alongside whites? Your answer there will answer your original question.

good point

I'm not sure where you are going with this ... you will have to be more specific.

Forum List

Back