Obama to call for 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repeal, adviser says

True but those other offices could not fire me if I were gay for that reason alone.

You think that gays won't be drummed out on other shit once they are allowed to serve openly?

It's likely. There will also be a bunch of people who get bounced for trying to drum up shit on the gay guy.

It will also cause a crackdonw on sex between military members regardless of sexual orientation. Which is a good thing.

No one has nor will anyone ever convince me that gays serving openly in the US Army is a good thing.

I don't see it and will always be against it.

And no I do not hate gays, I have a gay step son even. And he knows how I feel about gays in the military and actually agrees with me.

No one has nor will anyone ever convince me that gays serving openly in the US Army is a good thing.

And no I do not hate gays, I have a gay step son even. And he knows how I feel about gays in the military and actually agrees with me.

Some folks felt the same way about African Americans in 1948.

Well I wasn't around then so I don't know about that. I have many friends and relatives who are people of color. And we don't have any race problems.

Yep, gays in the military is the same as soviet missiles in Cuba. :lol:

I get your point your point though and I do not disagree. I am simply hesitant to pull the proverbial band aid.

:lol: You get where that quote is from, good for you. But in my defense, I did say it was from a different subject. :tongue:

And I understand where you're coming from. But I just see it in the way of "If not now, when?"

Well I wasn't around then so I don't know about that. I have many friends and relatives who are people of color. And we don't have any race problems.

No, but you obviously have queer problems, just as they did in 1948. My point is, the unit got over it, just as it would if gays were allowed to serve openly.

No, but you obviously have queer problems, just as they did in 1948. My point is, the unit got over it, just as it would if gays were allowed to serve openly.

Actually we don't use the word queer. My step son doesn't appreciate it much. So we stick to gay. You see I don't have a problem with gays, I have a problem with gays serving openly in the military. Can you even see the difference?

I've know you well enough to know that no question is innocent and simple.

:lol: bastard

so, does the military in all things, styles, customs, trends...need to always be caught up with the rest of the country. you made a good point, because i think the ban is silly. however, i've never served, so i have no idea what is good for morale, obedience etc....

you claimed that they should repeal the don't ask, don't tell...because the should be caught up with the rest of the country. so i am wondering at where you draw the line.

now answer the question ya basteeerd.....:razz:

In term of social progression ... thinks like integrated units, women's roles, and open gays serving ... yes as long as they are qualified and capable of doing the job then they shouldn't be exclude because of skin color, or because they have a vagina, or because they take it up the pooper.

But if suddenly the rest of the country decided it was A-OK to drink on the job or get high at work .. then no.

So, no. :)

see.....that wasn't so hard now was it :eusa_angel:

Yep, gays in the military is the same as soviet missiles in Cuba. :lol:

I get your point your point though and I do not disagree. I am simply hesitant to pull the proverbial band aid.

:lol: You get where that quote is from, good for you. But in my defense, I did say it was from a different subject. :tongue:

And I understand where you're coming from. But I just see it in the way of "If not now, when?"

My undergrad thesis was on the misfortune of the Kennedys. The quote is one of the more familiar ones.

If not now then when? My answer would be when our troops are out of Iraq and Afghan. I find it irresponsible to push a culture change like this on the military when they have enough on ther plate right now.

Actually we don't use the word queer. My step son doesn't appreciate it much. So we stick to gay. You see I don't have a problem with gays, I have a problem with gays serving openly in the military. Can you even see the difference?

1948: "I don't have a problem with those negros, I have a problem with them serving along side the white man. Can you even see the difference?"

You're not getting Crimson's point, and don't yell, I'm not calling you a racist. I'm giving you an example of what Crimson was talking about. The same things you said now are what were said over 60 years ago. And Crimson was right, the unit got it and it will get over this. They're mature people.

Last edited:

Yes I see the difference. However, the dference is semantic. It is the same as saying, "I'm not racist, but negroes shouldn't serve with whites." Or perhaps, "I'm not sexist, but women shouldn't be in the military." Those are equal statements with what you are saying about queers, homos, fags, butt pirates, dikes, or whatever nomenclature you wish to attach to it.

My undergrad thesis was on the misfortune of the Kennedys. The quote is one of the more familiar ones.

If not now then when? My answer would be when our troops are out of Iraq and Afghan. I find it irresponsible to push a culture change like this on the military when they have enough on ther plate right now.

You had plenty to write about then.

And I can see what you're saying. But I doubt many gay men or women will even come out as long as they're in Iraq and Afghanistan. I doubt that will be their first thing to do when they repeal this. However, when the war is over, they will come out more openly definitely.

Yes I see the difference. However, the dference is semantic. It is the same as saying, "I'm not racist, but negroes shouldn't serve with whites." Or perhaps, "I'm not sexist, but women shouldn't be in the military." Those are equal statements with what you are saying about queers, homos, fags, butt pirates, dikes, or whatever nomenclature you wish to attach to it.

I guess I'm good at reading your mind. :lol:

See Post #53.

From what I've seen and heard you don't need to ask or tell. It's obvious who is gay.

1948: "I don't have a problem with those negros, I have a problem with them serving along side the white man. Can you even see the difference?"

You're not getting Crimson's point, and don't yell, I'm not calling you a racist. I'm giving you an example of what Crimson was talking about. The same things you said now are what were said over 60 years ago. And Crimson was right, the unit got it and it will get over this. They're mature people.

And I know what would have happened to any gay who would have been found in my Unit. I doubt seriously that I could have protected him. And I don't really believe that our NCO's should have this as another problem to worry about. I'm against it and always will be. It is not good for the Unit and not good for moral. Remember I've been there you haven't. But hey I've been retired 16 years, maybe troops have changed that much, but i doubt it.

And I know what would have happened to any gay who would have been found in my Unit. I doubt seriously that I could have protected him. And I don't really believe that our NCO's should have this as another problem to worry about. I'm against it and always will be. It is not good for the Unit and not good for moral. Remember I've been there you haven't. But hey I've been retired 16 years, maybe troops have changed that much, but i doubt it.

And again, no different than 1948. All it is really is changing around a few terms. America has changed in 16 years, as has the younger generation which is more open to the idea of serving with gays in the military.

you remind me of another poster from another board.

He was not racist? but did not think blacks and whites should marry/breed offspring.

Forum List

Back