Whoops! CIA Man Retracts Claim on Waterboarding

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/01/26/cia_man_retracts_claim_on_waterboarding

Well, it's official now: John Kiriakou, the former CIA operative who affirmed claims that waterboarding quickly unloosed the tongues of hard-core terrorists, says he didn't know what he was talking about.

Kiriakou, a 15-year veteran of the agency's intelligence analysis and operations directorates, electrified the hand-wringing national debate over torture in December 2007 when he told ABC's Brian Ross and Richard Esposito in a much ballyhooed, exclusive interview that senior al Qaeda commando Abu Zubaydah cracked after only one application of the face cloth and water.

"From that day on, he answered every question," Kiriakou said. "The threat information he provided disrupted a number of attacks, maybe dozens of attacks."

No matter that Kiriakou wearily said he shared the anguish of millions of Americans, not to mention the rest of the world, over the CIA's application of the medieval confession technique.

The point was that it worked. And the pro-torture camp was quick to pick up on Kiriakou's claim.

"It works, is the bottom line," conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh exclaimed on his radio show the day after Kiriakou's ABC interview. "Thirty to 35 seconds, and it works."

A cascade of similar acclamations followed, muffling -- to this day -- the later revelation that Zubaydah had in fact been waterboarded at least 83 times. Had Kiriakou left out something the first time?

Now comes John Kiriakou, again, with a wholly different story. On the next-to-last page of a new memoir, The Reluctant Spy: My Secret Life in the CIA's War on Terror (written with Michael Ruby), Kiriakou now rather off handedly admits that he basically made it all up.

"What I told Brian Ross in late 2007 was wrong on a couple counts," he writes. "I suggested that Abu Zubaydah had lasted only thirty or thirty-five seconds during his waterboarding before he begged his interrogators to stop; after that, I said he opened up and gave the agency actionable intelligence.

"Now we know," Kiriakou goes on, "that Zubaydah was waterboarded eighty-three times in a single month, raising questions about how much useful information he actually supplied."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A]YouTube - The Price is Right losing horn[/ame]

Time sure has a way of things. Thoughts USMB?

We used water boarding on 3 people. Supposedly we received some valuable information from them that probably saved American lives. At the time it was sanctioned by the Government, now it isn't. I don't know about this former agent and why he would lie. Obviously we cannot believe anything he says now.

I believe that we were justified in the use of enhanced measures, and I believe they were only used when it was thought that lives could be saved.

just to set the record straight here...........curious, non-partisan viewers of this thread should note that virtually all of the liberals who frequent this forum ( including Dogbart), who are appalled about waterboarding ALSO consider the CIA playing Barney music during interrogations to be cruel and unacceptable torture!!! They are also the type of people who would sooner throw themselves off a 200 foot cliff before they offended anybody!!!!

Just to set the record straight s0ns...................

31561985.jpg

Last edited:
We used water boarding on 3 people. Supposedly we received some valuable information from them that probably saved American lives. At the time it was sanctioned by the Government, now it isn't. I don't know about this former agent and why he would lie. Obviously we cannot believe anything he says now.

I believe that we were justified in the use of enhanced measures, and I believe they were only used when it was thought that lives could be saved.

When US soldiers are tortured, don't the torturers think they are saving lives? American soldiers have information on tactics, capabilities, strengths and vulnerabilities.....by your logic, our soldiers can be tortured because the information will save lives

The non torture rules are there to help protect our troops if they are captured.
If you support torturing prisoners then you do not support our troops.

lmao....NOW....you believe him

thread fail

Nope, just posting the fact at the very least he lied originally. So therefore his testimony that waterboarding was the magical cure all was bullshit.

bull...you clearly believe him now, your thread title and comments show this

What comments? The fail horn? Or the thoughts comment? :lol:

And the thread title is the article's title.

Are you being obtuse on purpose? :lol:

The non torture rules are there to help protect our troops if they are captured.

Bullshit. How many heads have we cut off?

How many have we blown off?

Your point is totally off base with mine.

In any case are we to become like them?

Well they did it first sounds kinda childish.

i thought killing people was ok, it is dripping water on their heads that is not

i thought killing people was ok, it is dripping water on their heads that is not

some tend to take offense if you capture them and then cut their heads off. This is most understandable for them. However it does not mean we act in a similar fashion else we are no better than they are.

So Ollie

Do you endorse US soldiers being tortured if the information they give up will save lives?

Of course not. But we are not the terrorists out to kill any and all Muslims are we? The enemy here will kill you as soon as give you the time of day. And if they can make a terror statement out of your death they will do so as a matter of course.
We used enhanced interrogation on 3 people. How many of our troops have gone through much much worse.

I really don't care what people think about it. it worked and we saved innocent lives. What innocent lives are terrorists trying to save?

Forum List

Back