Obama to allow oil drilling off Virginia coast and Gulf

Here's a current in-depth discussion of the issue, including some history on east coast exploration.

Musings: Obama -- New Wildcatter or Bait 'n Switcher?

Yup, he's getting ready to raise fuel prices and claim to be innocent:

At the end of the day, this offshore drilling proposal is largely a public relations exercise designed to try to sway senators to vote for the upcoming energy/climate change legislation. It may also become one of the all-time bait 'n switch events. All the proposed changes to the offshore drilling moratorium will require Congressional approvals and we know where most of their sentiments lie. Additionally, the potential high-profile drilling that was scheduled for offshore Virginia will not happen until at least 2012. Drilling in Alaska's Chukchi Sea will go forward, but based on the court cases it was likely to happen anyway. By delaying other lease sales in the Chukchi Sea and Beaufort Sea and putting Bristol Bay off limits along with the entire Pacific Coast, the Obama administration has probably done more harm than good in relation to developing the nation's potential oil and gas reserves and edging us closer to self-sufficiency

this isnt venezuela, samson. the commisar doesnt raise prices.

Here's a current in-depth discussion of the issue, including some history on east coast exploration.

Musings: Obama -- New Wildcatter or Bait 'n Switcher?

At the end of the day, this offshore drilling proposal is largely a public relations exercise designed to try to sway senators to vote for the upcoming energy/climate change legislation. It may also become one of the all-time bait 'n switch events. All the proposed changes to the offshore drilling moratorium will require Congressional approvals and we know where most of their sentiments lie. Additionally, the potential high-profile drilling that was scheduled for offshore Virginia will not happen until at least 2012. Drilling in Alaska's Chukchi Sea will go forward, but based on the court cases it was likely to happen anyway. By delaying other lease sales in the Chukchi Sea and Beaufort Sea and putting Bristol Bay off limits along with the entire Pacific Coast, the Obama administration has probably done more harm than good in relation to developing the nation's potential oil and gas reserves and edging us closer to self-sufficiency

True.

But, I didn't think I needed to spell that out:

The Democratically controlled Congress and Executive Branch will pass a law (Cap & Trade) and increase taxes which will increase the price of gasoline.

Obama has pre-empted this by "generously opening" offshore drilling, so he'll have appeared to have made an attempt to head off a fuel shortage upon which he will blame higher gasoline prices.

True.

But, I didn't think I needed to spell that out:

The Democratically controlled Congress and Executive Branch will pass a law (Cap & Trade) and increase taxes which will increase the price of gasoline.

Obama has pre-empted this by "generously opening" offshore drilling, so he'll have appeared to have made an attempt to head off a fuel shortage upon which he will blame higher gasoline prices.

isnt shortage always behind higher prices, what with supply and demand?

id love to see an industry tax spread justified for more than a few pennies on the gallon, but not holding the industry to a real justification, i think they'll run with the opportunity to increase prices in response to tax, indeed. pundits will no doubt misinform the gullibles that seasonal highs this summer have some sinister roots. that's a seasonal certainty onto itself. wonder who'll be a taker then?

I'm going to guess you're being facetious, but others (namely Chris Mathews) won't be. He'll be reading from his Econ 101 text, and completely ignore the context: Profit Margin is a small proportion of the retail price of Gasoline compared to the Tax.

id love to see an industry tax spread justified for more than a few pennies on the gallon, but not holding the industry to a real justification, i think they'll run with the opportunity to increase prices in response to tax, indeed. pundits will no doubt misinform the gullibles that seasonal highs this summer have some sinister roots. that's a seasonal certainty onto itself. wonder who'll be a taker then?

I'm not saying the price/gallon gasoline is completely without profit, and that like any enterprise, manufacturers will raise the price of the product when demand is higher, but the tax, which is applied to gasoline regardless of demand, will also rise under Cap and Trade (ie., the Cap and Trade taxes that will be collected from refiners will be passed to gasoline consumers).

I'm going to guess you're being facetious, but others (namely Chris Mathews) won't be. He'll be reading from his Econ 101 text, and completely ignore the context: Profit Margin is a small proportion of the retail price of Gasoline compared to the Tax.

I'm not saying the price/gallon gasoline is completely without profit, and that like any enterprise, manufacturers will raise the price of the product when demand is higher, but the tax, which is applied to gasoline regardless of demand, will also rise under Cap and Trade (ie., the Cap and Trade taxes that will be collected from refiners will be passed to gasoline consumers).

hard to speculate who the bill may target, and how it will target crude oil. the cap and trade would tax industrial polluters directly, while the larger bill may have some flat taxes on imported crude or refined fuel. a few companies in the oil industry would prefer a flat tax, and they'll likely get what they want given the pliability this congress/administration has with lobbyists.

i dont know anything about chris matthews.

that said, is it the retail profits at question here? I would think that the refiner's markup and the cost of crude, delivered would be the affected margins these are the ones responsible for the cost at the pump, and particularly at refinement. they, after all, have a captive, largely non-competitive wholesale market.

but who knows, there might be a nickel tagged on at the pump as part of the bill. id think that taxing more at the pump would actually be cheaper, initially, because of my impression that industry use tax and regulations as profit shelters, at least for a period, until competition curtails the practice.

i, of course, understand that taxes will play into the cost at the pump, but not to the extent of supply and demand, nor to the extent that profit-sheltering will indicate.

it wont be done "safely" this just proves that both parties are the same...the oil from the exxon valdese is still in the bay....

Still Digging Up Exxon Valdez Oil, 20 Years Later - TIME

and then this...which says gives differing views:

Alaska faces Exxon Valdez clean-up conundrum - environment - 18 January 2010 - New Scientist

an oz of prevention blah blah blah

Hey Stupid the Exxon Valdez wasn't an offshore oil rig. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Their guy ends a 20yr ban on offshore oil drilling in these areas so of course you're not hearing all that screeching about those "Evil Oil Companies" from the Leftist hypocrites. Seriously,could you imagine if this were a Republican President ending this 20yr ban? My God,what would the Liberal Media hacks over at CNN,NBC,and the NY Times be screeching about today? What a bunch of dishonest kooks.

hard to speculate who the bill may target, and how it will target crude oil. the cap and trade would tax industrial polluters directly, while the larger bill may have some flat taxes on imported crude or refined fuel. a few companies in the oil industry would prefer a flat tax, and they'll likely get what they want given the pliability this congress/administration has with lobbyists.

i dont know anything about chris matthews.

that said, is it the retail profits at question here? I would think that the refiner's markup and the cost of crude, delivered would be the affected margins these are the ones responsible for the cost at the pump, and particularly at refinement. they, after all, have a captive, largely non-competitive wholesale market.

but who knows, there might be a nickel tagged on at the pump as part of the bill. id think that taxing more at the pump would actually be cheaper, initially, because of my impression that industry use tax and regulations as profit shelters, at least for a period, until competition curtails the practice.

i, of course, understand that taxes will play into the cost at the pump, but not to the extent of supply and demand, nor to the extent that profit-sheltering will indicate.

You don't get it, and I don't feel like 'splainin' it any more.

:night:

Yea just not hearing all that hysterical Leftist screeching about those "Evil Oil Companies" anymore huh? Their guy ends a 20yr ban on oil drilling in these areas and not a peep out of the Leftists. Just like the supposed "Anti-War" Leftists,these people are frauds and should never be trusted.

Their guy ends a 20yr ban on offshore oil drilling in these areas so of course you're not hearing all that screeching about those "Evil Oil Companies" from the Leftist hypocrites. Seriously,could you imagine if this were a Republican President ending this 20yr ban? My God,what would the Liberal Media hacks over at CNN,NBC,and the NY Times be screeching about today? What a bunch of dishonest kooks.

Yea just not hearing all that hysterical Leftist screeching about those "Evil Oil Companies" anymore huh? Their guy ends a 20yr ban on oil drilling in these areas and not a peep out of the Leftists. Just like the supposed "Anti-War" Leftists,these people are frauds and should never be trusted.

I think you should repeat this bump a couple more times.:lol:

I think this is the first thing President Obama has done that I actually agree with. However, does anyone else find it odd that this decision came immediately after the state of Virginia filed lawsuit against the Federal Government claiming Obamacare to be unconstitutional? Nevertheless, this could turn out to be posititve if it is handled right. The U.S. is currently spending approximately $700 billion in oil imports. Imagine the money that could be saved by beginning to drill and produce in our own country again.

Last edited:
I think this is the first thing President Obama has done that I actually agree with. However, does anyone else find it odd that this decision came immediately after the state of Virginia filed lawsuit against the Federal Government claiming Obamacare to be unconstitutional? Nevertheless, this could turn out to be posititve if it is handled right. The U.S. is currently spending approximately $700 billion in oil imports. Imagine the money that could be saved by beginning to drill and produce in our own country again.

Think about all the Americans that would be put to work.......:eusa_whistle:

beginning to drill? oh, brother.

i hate to burst your bubble having found your first positive obama action, but this offshore deal is far more empty than you think.

CaféAuLait;2159582 said:
Obama to allow oil drilling off Virginia coast

By PHILIP ELLIOTT
The Associated Press
Wednesday, March 31, 2010; 12:37 AM

WASHINGTON -- In a reversal of a long-standing ban on most offshore drilling, President Barack Obama is allowing oil drilling 50 miles off Virginia's shorelines. At the same time, he is rejecting some new drilling sites that had been planned in Alaska.

© Copyright 1996-2010 The Washington Post Company

Read More:

washingtonpost.com

Meaning that the "Messiah" is going to allow a private sector industry to actually create a private sector JOB--without costing us BILLIONS---:lol::lol::lol:

Yup those "Evil Oil Companies" aren't so Evil anymore according to Leftist nutters. If their Hopey Changey says it's ok then all is well i guess. So many in this country have become cattle. They can be herded into supporting anything i guess. I support this decision to end this 20yr ban. I'm just disgusted observing the Left's astounding dishonesty & hypocrisy on issues like this.

it wont be done "safely" this just proves that both parties are the same...the oil from the exxon valdese is still in the bay....

Still Digging Up Exxon Valdez Oil, 20 Years Later - TIME

and then this...which says gives differing views:

Alaska faces Exxon Valdez clean-up conundrum - environment - 18 January 2010 - New Scientist

an oz of prevention blah blah blah

Hey Stupid the Exxon Valdez wasn't an offshore oil rig. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Rig_Fire_014-small_1_610x458.jpg

:eusa_doh:

This BP spill is much worse than the Valdez disaster. This is not just a ship leaking oil. This was a massive underground explosion. They cannot contain this. But hey the President is now sending his "Team" in to assess the damage. When did this explosion happen? A little late for his "Team" i think. So where did all those hysterical "Evil Oil Company" Leftists go? Not hearing much from them these days. What a scam.

This BP spill is much worse than the Valdez disaster. This is not just a ship leaking oil. This was a massive underground explosion. They cannot contain this. But hey the President is now sending his "Team" in to assess the damage. When did this explosion happen? A little late for his "Team" i think. So where did all those hysterical "Evil Oil Company" Leftists go? Not hearing much from them these days. What a scam.

I have to admit you do have a point.

But the slick hasn't hit the beaches yet (there's no dead ducks to put on the evening news).

Wait until the Bird-shaped Tar Balls begin blackening Galveston Beach (well, it really wasn't much better before).

Then you'll hear how this was all a result of BUSHCHENEYHALLIBURTON.

Forum List

Back