CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest
Obama to allow oil drilling off Virginia coast

By PHILIP ELLIOTT
The Associated Press
Wednesday, March 31, 2010; 12:37 AM

WASHINGTON -- In a reversal of a long-standing ban on most offshore drilling, President Barack Obama is allowing oil drilling 50 miles off Virginia's shorelines. At the same time, he is rejecting some new drilling sites that had been planned in Alaska.

© Copyright 1996-2010 The Washington Post Company

Read More:

washingtonpost.com

Obama, obviously, hates the environment, correct lefties?

saveearthkillbush.jpg

I expect Republicans to suddenly become environmentalists. :lol:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/03/31/obama.energy/index.html

(CNN) -- In a move that could help win Republican support for other energy initiatives, President Obama will announce plans Wednesday to open large sections of the eastern Gulf of Mexico and an area off the Virginia coast for oil and natural gas drilling.

"To set America on a path to energy independence, the president believes we must leverage our diverse domestic resources by pursuing a comprehensive energy strategy," said a statement provided by an administration official, who did not want to comment on the record ahead of the president's announcement.

"The president will announce today additional measures that will boost domestic energy production and promote clean energy innovation," the statement said.

The GOP has long championed additional domestic drilling to lessen America's dependence on outside energy sources. And while the plan could help win Republican support for other White House initiatives, it won't find many fans among environmentalists.

The proposal includes lifting a 20-year ban on drilling off the Virginia coastline, while putting the clamps on sites that had been approved off the coast of Alaska.
threads merged-del

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as it's done safely, why not?
I agree.

Let's see what the left has to say about Obama's decision. I mean, they wanted to "kill Bush" for the perceived lack of concern for the environment.

The "left"?

Which one?

Just in case you don't know it, there's no group of people with less idealogical coherence than what most people here think of as "the Left".

Group think? Hardly.

I've been in rooms of people that most of you would clearly identify as "Leftists" who couldn't reach consensus on whether gravity was really real, or the world just sucked.

There is no more a monolithic "Left" than there is a monolithic "right".

If you doubt that, you really ought to read who the first people Lenin killed (and who tried to kill him, too) when the Bolshies took over Russia.

I suggest you read John Reed's account of the Communist takeover Ten Days that Shook the World.

I expect Republicans to suddenly become environmentalists. :lol:

Obama energy plan would open up Gulf drilling - CNN.com

(CNN) -- In a move that could help win Republican support for other energy initiatives, President Obama will announce plans Wednesday to open large sections of the eastern Gulf of Mexico and an area off the Virginia coast for oil and natural gas drilling.

"To set America on a path to energy independence, the president believes we must leverage our diverse domestic resources by pursuing a comprehensive energy strategy," said a statement provided by an administration official, who did not want to comment on the record ahead of the president's announcement.

"The president will announce today additional measures that will boost domestic energy production and promote clean energy innovation," the statement said.

The GOP has long championed additional domestic drilling to lessen America's dependence on outside energy sources. And while the plan could help win Republican support for other White House initiatives, it won't find many fans among environmentalists.

The proposal includes lifting a 20-year ban on drilling off the Virginia coastline, while putting the clamps on sites that had been approved off the coast of Alaska.

I expect you will be sorely disappointed.

As long as it's done safely, why not?
I agree.

Let's see what the left has to say about Obama's decision. I mean, they wanted to "kill Bush" for the perceived lack of concern for the environment.

The "left"?

Which one?

Just in case you don't know it, there's no group of people with less idealogical coherence than what most people here think of as "the Left".

Group think? Hardly.

I've been in rooms of people that most of you would clearly identify as "Leftists" who couldn't reach consensus on whether gravity was really real, or the world just sucked.

There is no more a monolithic "Left" than there is a monolithic "right".

If you doubt that, you really ought to read who the first people Lenin killed (and who tried to kill him, too) when the Bolshies took over Russia.

I suggest you read John Reed's account of the Communist takeover Ten Days that Shook the World.
Thanks for your unsolicited advice on reading material that I have already read years ago.

I'll go with the left in the USA. Most of us have a grasp of that. If you don't know what they are I suppose I could give you an unsolicited reading list, but I don't have the patience for being condescending to you at the moment.

Maybe later, though. ;)

CaféAuLait;2159582 said:
Obama to allow oil drilling off Virginia coast

That must be payback for buying a vote for Obamacare.
It appears that it is a deal to get a yes vote on the proposed CO2 reductions (17% decrease by 2020) legislation in Congress. I hope Virginia keeps its head.

States making deals with Feds in order to make decisions they should have been able to make themselves anyway. Pfft.

Can someone explain how this is a "win" for Obama?

The oil companies who lease the land will put any found oil on the Open Market, which means we will have to compete for it. Prices will not go down.

If Obama "mandates" the oil be used in the US, then Republicans will "SCREAM" that Obama is taking over the oil industry.

Where is the "win"?

Forum List

Back