Obama to allow oil drilling off Virginia coast and Gulf

Ame®icano;2164240 said:
Solar and wind are supplemental to oil, not a replacement.

If it is supplenting oil....less oil is being used

Then, why to drill at all?

Well, we drill all the time, just not in certain wilderness areas that have been restricted. I live in Oklahoma City with a metro popoulation of 1.27 million. Every day going to work, I drive past two working rigs drilling smack dab inside the city. I can drive down I-40, I-44 or I-35 and see working rigs dotting the landscape. The main reason we get the majority of our oil from foreign sources is because it is simply cheaper to get it out of the ground there than it is here. It is more economical. The drill here, drill now, pay less mantra is a talk radio, bumper sticker slogan talking point trotted out during elections to pump up the sheeple. If it were cost feasable, the oil companies WOULD be drilling the hell out of America like they were during the oil boom of the 80's here in Oklahoma.

To finish answering your why drill at all question, you get the most bang for your buck from oil.

settle down douger. i doubt anyone will jump to drill on their permits. they might buy them up, but nobody even tested viability in the gulf of mexico after the permit bans expired there. limbaugh wants to preach drill baby drill, but the oil companies know the negative impact supply has on their profits, and its a free country.

drilling rights off the US has little or nothing to do with the price of oil, whether the seabees do it or not. obama knows that. rush probably doesnt. his fans probably think we can drill our prices down to venezuela's.

I'm still puzzeled with Obama's motive in lifting drilling bans.

Corrode the base constituants' support?

Appeal to Big Oil?

If he needed quid-pro-quo for an "Comprehensive Energy Policy," why not hold these cards?

I believe something else is amiss........

I the correct USMB forum (Oil.NRG) there's a raging debate as to whether or not there will be a "oil peak" vs "oil plateau" as the unrenewable resource eventually disappears.......I wonder if Obama has received information we don't know that he's required to act upon.....

hmmmmmm...........maybe the "Conspiracy forum" would be more appropriate

i think that the man is seeking the broadest appeal possible. he's aware that offshore rights are a bit moot beyond the mere gesture, and threw a bone to those who would otherwise criticize him about extending a ban. since the healthcare passage, the obama's been on a roll, probably to pump up his approval, axelrodpixiedust mode.

this is such pixiedust.

i cant tell what peak and plateau mean specifically, but like i said earlier, oil companies are trying to conserve the volume of oil trading to illicit a supply-side inflationary effect on prices. OPEC refused to open the spigot for the bush in 2008, and the comex price gave oil clics a taste of the good life: 150-200% pay for the same work. right as that bubble swelled, im sure they wish they had more capacity, but investing in it when the price is down isnt attractive, either. especially expensive offshore sourcing: a real pain in the ass, and a long process to get off the ground. :)eusa_eh:sea floor?). i'd definitely say that starting with OPEC, right on down, the industry has shifted focus from quantitative revenues to qualitative profits. some of that has got to do with oil scarcity and the increasing trend toward it, but only some.

What happened to Obama's "Just put air in your tires" platform?

Wasn't it he who said that inflating your tires would save more gas than could be found by drilling off our shores?

[youtube]XzZNP4tTfV0[/youtube]

Wasn't it he who said that inflating your tires would save more gas than could be found by drilling off our shores?

Don't know if he said it would save MORE, but it does indeed improve your gas mileage.

Don't know if he said it would save MORE, but it does indeed improve your gas mileage.

Didn't he say "Just as much as"

I'll concede the "save more" was my take.

But you do see this is just another Obama flip flop don't you.

"peak oil"...........another lefty hoax.

Crap and Tax is going to crash and burn on the vine this summer..........shit, even France is dropping the carbon tax idea because it is not affordable.

When the public finds out that Crap and Tax legislation will double their energy bills in 5 years, even the Dums will hide!!!

What, you think there is just a limitless supply of oil? That's not reality, and the absurd amount we pump out a year, there has to be a point where we run out. MIght as well start worrying about it now and get some better energy than for it to run out before we do

Didn't he say "Just as much as"

I'll concede the "save more" was my take.

But you do see this is just another Obama flip flop don't you.

Don't know. The company doesn't allow YouTube on the interwebs, so I can't see what he said.

Not to defend Obama, but let's be fair here........name a single politician in world history that didn't flip flop on something they said.

Someone said this and I agree,

Obama is playing chess, you are playing checkers.

The republicans will vote for this! lol

Appeal to Big Oil?

If he needed quid-pro-quo for an "Comprehensive Energy Policy," why not hold these cards?

<SNIP>

" [This will] reverse or scale back nearly every drilling opportunity that has opened since 2008... [when the] Bush Administration wrote a new five-year plan, due to begin this year, that opened a significant portion of the Outer Continental Shelf to oil exploration. Interior Secretary Ken Salazar squashed that plan last year. ...

[The driling off] Virginia[?] ... that lease was already in the works and due to be bid out next year. Interior has now postponed the lease until 2012, for reasons it didn't explain but which gives even more time to environmental groups to sue over its implementation. ...

The Bush plan had allowed leasing along the North Atlantic and Pacific coasts, but Mr. Obama is effectively reimposing the moratorium on those areas. The President will allow a study of drilling along the South Atlantic coast. ...

Mr. Obama vowed to "support [...] a $2.6 billion lease sale in the Chukchi Sea that was completed in 2008. Companies are already preparing to drill there. ...

[T]he Administration cancelled five other leases in Alaska. Two of those are also in the Chukchi, which is estimated to hold 77 billion barrels of oil&#8212;compared to 22 billion in current U.S. proven reserves. ...

[T]he Administration will allow drilling in a strip in the eastern Gulf of Mexico, 125 miles off Florida. Opening that area will, however, require Congressional approval [,] [and] getting 60 votes will require a better Senate. ...

[Y]esterday's proposal had the net effect of putting some 13 billion barrels of oil and 41 trillion cubic feet of gas under lock and key, in return for blessing a few leases already underway. ...The larger politics here is that Mr. Obama is hoping these drilling bits will sway Republicans to vote for his "comprehensive energy and climate bill"&#8212;aka cap and tax. " - WSJ March 31 - "Drill Bits"

(Samson) If he needed quid-pro-quo for an "Comprehensive Energy Policy," why not hold these cards?
Bait and switch with the public? And he can sting the Rs by claiming he has given them what they said they wanted. This pre-empts the issue if the MSM allows it.

Last edited:

Republicans will not vote for anything with Obama's name on it

Appeal to Big Oil?

<SNIP>

" [This will] reverse or scale back nearly every drilling opportunity that has opened since 2008... [when the] Bush Administration wrote a new five-year plan, due to begin this year, that opened a significant portion of the Outer Continental Shelf to oil exploration. Interior Secretary Ken Salazar squashed that plan last year. ...

[The driling off] Virginia[?] ... that lease was already in the works and due to be bid out next year. Interior has now postponed the lease until 2012, for reasons it didn't explain but which gives even more time to environmental groups to sue over its implementation. ...

The Bush plan had allowed leasing along the North Atlantic and Pacific coasts, but Mr. Obama is effectively reimposing the moratorium on those areas. The President will allow a study of drilling along the South Atlantic coast. ...

Mr. Obama vowed to "support [...] a $2.6 billion lease sale in the Chukchi Sea that was completed in 2008. Companies are already preparing to drill there. ...

[T]he Administration cancelled five other leases in Alaska. Two of those are also in the Chukchi, which is estimated to hold 77 billion barrels of oil&#8212;compared to 22 billion in current U.S. proven reserves. ...

[T]he Administration will allow drilling in a strip in the eastern Gulf of Mexico, 125 miles off Florida. Opening that area will, however, require Congressional approval [,] [and] getting 60 votes will require a better Senate. ...

[Y]esterday's proposal had the net effect of putting some 13 billion barrels of oil and 41 trillion cubic feet of gas under lock and key, in return for blessing a few leases already underway. ...The larger politics here is that Mr. Obama is hoping these drilling bits will sway Republicans to vote for his "comprehensive energy and climate bill"&#8212;aka cap and tax. " - WSJ March 31 - "Drill Bits"

(Samson) If he needed quid-pro-quo for an "Comprehensive Energy Policy," why not hold these cards?
Bait and switch with the public? And he can sting the Rs by claiming he has given them what they wanted. This pre-empts the issue if the MSM allows it.

Well, the WSJ seems to believe Obama will hold some sway over republicans with the tactic....and maybe it will work (difficult to believe under present conditions).

But, what if conditions change?

My guess is that he's preparing to cover his Comprehensive Energy Policy when gasoline approaches $4/G this summer. In an elaborate shell game in which he excells, he'll take credit for opening leases in the face of public outcry regarding the spike in gas prices. He's preemptively washing his hands, so that oil company greed will be the preceived cause of the unprecedented price increase.

Of course, this disregards the obvious: The price of gasoline is unrelated to oil under the seabed, but more closely related to taxation $/G, which will be the actual cause of the increase.

Last edited:

And you are not playing with a full deck, if you think Obama has enough political capital left to sway his own party, much less republicans.

Well, the WSJ seems to believe Obama will hold some sway over republicans with the tactic....and maybe it will work (difficult to believe under present conditions).

But, what if conditions change?

My guess is that he's preparing to cover his Comprehensive Energy Policy when gasoline approaches $4/G this summer. In an elaborate shell game in which he excells, he'll take credit for opening leases in the face of public outcry regarding the spike in gas prices. He's preemptively washing his hands, so that oil company greed will be the preceived cause of the unprecedented price increase.

Of course, this disregards the obvious: The price of gasoline is unrelated to oil under the seabed, but more closely related to taxation $/G, which will be the actual cause of the increase.

I'm afraid all your assumptions are correct. As you point out the seeming oil-gas price connection and "corporate greed" are hard ideas to overcome in public opinion. To reach President Obama's global warming emission's cuts, according to a new Harvard study, gas prices will have to reach $7.00 per gallon by 2020. That's a respectable study, but we'll see $5.00 a long time before that time frame. Along the way we have little chance the broad public will understand the causes, if the MSM remains as it now is, a cheering section for the president.

This takes at least me back to what I believe underlies allmost all of our difficulties which flow from our politcs; the fact that the public does not get information they can base an intelligent vote on. I believe one thing can solve that: their partisanship will become so hysterical and obvious that they will become even further discredited and information will seek other channels to the voting public.

Last edited:
settle down douger. i doubt anyone will jump to drill on their permits. they might buy them up, but nobody even tested viability in the gulf of mexico after the permit bans expired there. limbaugh wants to preach drill baby drill, but the oil companies know the negative impact supply has on their profits, and its a free country.

drilling rights off the US has little or nothing to do with the price of oil, whether the seabees do it or not. obama knows that. rush probably doesnt. his fans probably think we can drill our prices down to venezuela's.

Appeal to Big Oil?

I the correct USMB forum (Oil.NRG) there's a raging debate as to whether or not there will be a "oil peak" vs "oil plateau" as the unrenewable resource eventually disappears.......I wonder if Obama has received information we don't know that he's required to act upon.....

hmmmmmm...........maybe the "Conspiracy forum" would be more appropriate

Sigh, I'm with you Sam, although we're hoping for different outcomes. I am trying to maintain faith that the man is playing chess and not checkers.

edit: If he has been playing checkers thus far and not chess... He sucks at it.

Boy,imagine if a Republican President made this announcement? What would the Global Warming Leftist nutter reaction be? It's pretty shocking observing their inexplicable silence on this announcement. Just like the "Anti-War" Leftists,these people are pathetic frauds. It all comes down to whether there is a 'D' or an 'R' by their name with these frauds. This guy had the 'D' so everything is just fine with them. It's always about politics with these people. They just can't be trusted on anything anymore.

Boy,imagine if a Republican President made this announcement? What would the Global Warming Leftist nutter reaction be? It's pretty shocking observing their inexplicable silence on this announcement. Just like the "Anti-War" Leftists,these people are pathetic frauds. It all comes down to whether there is a 'D' or an 'R' by their name with these frauds. This guy had the 'D' so everything is just fine with them. It's always about politics with these people. They just can't be trusted on anything anymore.

IMHO its simply that "reality bites" for Mr. Obama. He is stuck with a 9.7% unemployment rate, and he knows that just won't do if he wants to be prez after 2012. He is simply pulling out most of the stops he can to keep energy prices down. He has not pulled the ANWR stop, nor the nuclear plant stop, nor the coal to oil stop, etc. (he's backing away from his campaign "energy prices necessarily need to skyrocket" policy.
PolitiFact | Pence claims that Obama said energy costs will skyrocket with a cap-and-trade plan

He knows that when the "stimulus bill payment" schedule is back, he's toast. He won't be able to borrow any more to pay, so there is a potential crisis on the horizon....paying for the deficit spending. Good luck with that Barry (if you're still in the WH)

Here's a current in-depth discussion of the issue, including some history on east coast exploration.

Musings: Obama -- New Wildcatter or Bait 'n Switcher?

Yup, he's getting ready to raise fuel prices and claim to be innocent:

At the end of the day, this offshore drilling proposal is largely a public relations exercise designed to try to sway senators to vote for the upcoming energy/climate change legislation. It may also become one of the all-time bait 'n switch events. All the proposed changes to the offshore drilling moratorium will require Congressional approvals and we know where most of their sentiments lie. Additionally, the potential high-profile drilling that was scheduled for offshore Virginia will not happen until at least 2012. Drilling in Alaska's Chukchi Sea will go forward, but based on the court cases it was likely to happen anyway. By delaying other lease sales in the Chukchi Sea and Beaufort Sea and putting Bristol Bay off limits along with the entire Pacific Coast, the Obama administration has probably done more harm than good in relation to developing the nation's potential oil and gas reserves and edging us closer to self-sufficiency

Obama can't tap dance around his "energy prices necessarily need to skyrocket" campaign pledge. At a stagnant 9.7% unemployment Obama needs to <pretend to> do something.

Forum List

Back