Obama should pardon all that are serving time for smoking a leaf

He wasn't sentenced for smoking, either.

If he was sentenced for a year, then he had priors. Most likely he violated his probation and was sent back to serve whatever his original sentence was.
did i say he was smoking?......he was sentenced for the half ounce on him and he had no priors........
So it was possession.

Nobody in the history of the world has ever served a year for possession of half an ounce in the US. Sorry, somebody is pulling your leg.

i don't know what state you are in but 1/2 oz or less could get you jailed for up to 30 days in Tennessee..

Tennessee isn't even the harshest state

Marijuana Laws By State (excerpt)

New Hampshire:

"It is a crime to knowingly or intentionally possess marijuana (including small amounts for personal use) in New Hampshire. Penalties include a fine of up to $2,000, up to one year in jail, or both."

Idaho:
"A violation is a misdemeanor, punishable with up to one year in jail, a fine of up to $1,000, or both. A violation is a felony, punishable with up to five years in prison, a fine of up to $10,000, or both."

Florida:
"Possessing 20 or fewer grams of marijuana is a first degree misdemeanor, punishable with up to one year in jail. "

West Virginia:
It is a crime to possess any amount of marijuana in West Virginia. Penalties include a fine of up to $1,000, between 90 days and 6 months in jail, or both.

Source: Marijuana Possession: State and Federal Laws & Penalties | Criminal Law

Those are the maximum sentencing guidelines...people don't spend time in prison for just possession of small amounts of pot anywhere in the country.

Doesn't say "prison" specifically, it says jail and I suspect that at least some people do get the maximum penalties.

Obama should pardon all that are serving time for smoking a leaf...Yep, he should blanket pardon every person that was wrongly imprisoned because of our stupid laws against smoking pot.

He should then spend the rest of his presidency to get it legalized federally.

Sure, no reason to jail people who buy the products of terrorist drug cartels and keep the violent assholes in business. LMAO
You didn't read the last sentence of Matthew's post did you? If MJ is legalized the drug cartels would be out of business. Criminalizing marijuana is keeping drug cartels in business....THINK!

Keep thinking that, black market marijuana in states where it's legal is still a big business, people don't want to pay the taxes.

Is Black Market Marijuana Winning in Colorado?

According to an original report by Travelers Today, a travel website dabbling in offbeat news and pseudo journalism, much of Colorado’s stoner society, specifically college students, have continued to purchase marijuana from the black market due to the overall cost involved in obtaining a legal buzz.

Can't people grow their own? Perhaps Co-op marijuana farms are the way to go for MJ fans.

Right now most States and the feds have laws against it.

did i say he was smoking?......he was sentenced for the half ounce on him and he had no priors........
So it was possession.

Nobody in the history of the world has ever served a year for possession of half an ounce in the US. Sorry, somebody is pulling your leg.

i don't know what state you are in but 1/2 oz or less could get you jailed for up to 30 days in Tennessee..

New Hampshire:

"It is a crime to knowingly or intentionally possess marijuana (including small amounts for personal use) in New Hampshire. Penalties include a fine of up to $2,000, up to one year in jail, or both."

Idaho:
"A violation is a misdemeanor, punishable with up to one year in jail, a fine of up to $1,000, or both. A violation is a felony, punishable with up to five years in prison, a fine of up to $10,000, or both."

Florida:
"Possessing 20 or fewer grams of marijuana is a first degree misdemeanor, punishable with up to one year in jail. "

West Virginia:
It is a crime to possess any amount of marijuana in West Virginia. Penalties include a fine of up to $1,000, between 90 days and 6 months in jail, or both.

Those are the maximum sentencing guidelines...people don't spend time in prison for just possession of small amounts of pot anywhere in the country.

Doesn't say "prison" specifically, it says jail and I suspect that at least some people do get the maximum penalties.

the only way anyone is getting the maximum penalty is if they have priors.

Obama should pardon all that are serving time for smoking a leaf...Yep, he should blanket pardon every person that was wrongly imprisoned because of our stupid laws against smoking pot.

Sure, no reason to jail people who buy the products of terrorist drug cartels and keep the violent assholes in business. LMAO
Who kept the bootleggers in business? The supporters of the Prohibition, that's who. And people like you are the ones keeping the profits from pot flowing into the coffers of the drug cartels.

Who kept the bootleggers in business? The supporters of the Prohibition, that's who. And people like you are the ones keeping the profits from pot flowing into the coffers of the drug cartels.

No, if I could make the rules I would put an end to it, politicians don't have have the balls so they pass ineffective half measures. Pot is a proven gateway drug and the stuff on the street now is way more potent than the past.

He wasn't sentenced for smoking, either.

If he was sentenced for a year, then he had priors. Most likely he violated his probation and was sent back to serve whatever his original sentence was.
So it was possession.

New Hampshire:

Idaho:

Florida:

West Virginia:

The truth is that it is possible that some one somewhere in the USA IS spending time in prison for possession of a small amount of marijuana. If the maximum penalty exists, it exists for a reason and I expect that , although rarely, that prerogative has been used against undesirables or those not able to afford a lawyer.

I'm still waiting for verification that there is a single person languishing anywhere in our prison system for simply smoking weed.

No, if I could make the rules I would put an end to it, politicians don't have have the balls so they pass ineffective half measures. Pot is a proven gateway drug and the stuff on the street now is way more potent than the past.
Pot is like guns, both are ubiquitous and the flow is impossible to stop. People so inclined are going to get it anyway. Is it a proven gate way drug? I am not convinced it is. Look at the Netherlands and tell me that their long history of legalized marijuana has had deleterious effects on the general populace. I haven't seen any proof at all of that!

You didn't read the last sentence of Matthew's post did you? If MJ is legalized the drug cartels would be out of business. Criminalizing marijuana is keeping drug cartels in business....THINK!

Keep thinking that, black market marijuana in states where it's legal is still a big business, people don't want to pay the taxes.

According to an original report by Travelers Today, a travel website dabbling in offbeat news and pseudo journalism, much of Colorado’s stoner society, specifically college students, have continued to purchase marijuana from the black market due to the overall cost involved in obtaining a legal buzz.

Can't people grow their own? Perhaps Co-op marijuana farms are the way to go for MJ fans.

Right now most States and the feds have laws against it.
Understood! Two states have made possession legal , about ten more have de-criminalized marijuana use/ small possession and the rest are Draconian on the matter.

So it was possession.

New Hampshire:

Idaho:

Florida:

West Virginia:

the only way anyone is getting the maximum penalty is if they have priors.
Then what do you make of this tidbit:

•A survey by the Bureau of Justice Statistics showed that 0.7% of all state inmates were behind bars for marijuana possession only (with many of them pleading down from more serious crimes).i

•In total, one tenth of one percent (0.1 percent) of all state prisoners were marijuana-possession offenders with no prior sentences.ii

•Other independent research has shown that the risk of arrest for each “joint,” or marijuana cigarette, smoked is about 1 arrest for every 12,000 joints.iii

•There are very few people in state or federal prison for marijuana-related crimes. It is useful to look at all drug offenses for context. Among sentenced prisoners under state jurisdiction in 2008, 18% were sentenced for drug offenses.i
v

Smart Approaches to Marijuana- SAM

Great! I love hiring people that are stoned all the time... No thanks.
That is what they said about alcohol.
Just go to an Indian reservation like pine ridge here in SD to see what alcohol has done for people... Times that by 10 or a 100 there you have drugs.
It's the chemicals that change people not guns.

Forum List

Back