Obama should pardon all that are serving time for smoking a leaf

The premise is that there are innumerable ppl languishing in prison for long periods of time for smoking pot. It's just not true.

Great! I love hiring people that are stoned all the time... No thanks.
That is what they said about alcohol.
Just go to an Indian reservation like pine ridge here in SD to see what alcohol has done for people... Times that by 10 or a 100 there you have drugs.
It's the chemicals that change people not guns.
Ah, but alcohol is a legal drug that responsible people use responsibly, just as they do guns.
Why would marijuana be any different? Some Indian tribes can use peyote and other hallucinogenic drugs too but, I am told, peyote doesn't have near the impact alcohol does on them.

An even better example is the legal use of marijuana by Rastifari who shun alcohol. There seems to be no deleterious effects associated with their ritual uses of MJ.

Sure, why punish people who inject the processed part of a pretty little poppy or sniff the powder from an innocent little cocoa plant? There ain't a liberal in the world who would want his/her kids smoking cigarettes but the freaking hypocrites want to legalize marijuana.

Sure, why punish people who inject the processed part of a pretty little poppy or sniff the powder from an innocent little cocoa plant? There ain't a liberal in the world who would want his/her kids smoking cigarettes but the freaking hypocrites want to legalize marijuana.
I think liberals want it decriminalized across the board... people are still going to get it whether it is legal or not so why make criminals of those who use it recreationally.

Just go to an Indian reservation like pine ridge here in SD to see what alcohol has done for people... Times that by 10 or a 100 there you have drugs.
Ah, but alcohol is a legal drug that responsible people use responsibly, just as they do guns.
Why would marijuana be any different? Some Indian tribes can use peyote and other hallucinogenic drugs too but, I am told, peyote doesn't have near the impact alcohol does on them.

An even better example is the legal use of marijuana by Rastifari who shun alcohol. There seems to be no deleterious effects associated with their ritual uses of MJ.
First of all drugs and alcohol produce a chemical change in people, impossible for an inert object(gun) to do anything to anyone... That is learned in elementary school if one doesn't have the common sense to know this.
I have seen enough of how people act under the influence(abuse) of drugs and alcohol to know I don't want anything to do with them

The premise is that there are innumerable ppl languishing in prison for long periods of time for smoking pot. It's just not true.

That wasn't YOUR original premise. You initially believed NO one was in jail or prison for possessing small amounts of marijuana. Thanks for your concession... there is hope for you!

First of all drugs and alcohol produce a chemical change in people, impossible for an inert object(gun) to do anything to anyone... That is learned in elementary school if one doesn't have the common sense to know this.
I have seen enough of how people act under the influence(abuse) of drugs and alcohol to know I don't want anything to do with them

Well you are being a bit of an extremist here. Casual use of ether alcohol or marijuana does not make one either an alcoholic OR a junkie. I suspect that either you or some of your closest friends partake of one or both with no obvious signs of addiction.

Well you are being a bit of an extremist here. Casual use of ether alcohol or marijuana does not make one either an alcoholic OR a junkie. I suspect that either you or some of your closest friends partake of one or both with no obvious signs of addiction.
I said people who abuse hence... alcoholic/junky

Well, I just wanted to clarify the difference..... otherwise you wouldn't be hiring many people at all!

Well, I just wanted to clarify the difference..... otherwise you wouldn't be hiring many people at all!
This is true, but you can understand in my businesses(selling mining permits, lumber leases and selling guns and ammo) intoxaicants do not mix with heavy equipment, chainsaws and guns and ammo??

Do people in the US still get arrested for marijuana?
Although the intent of a 'War on Drugs' may have been to target drug smugglers and 'King Pins,' according to the FBI's annual Uniform Crime Reports, of the 1,552,432 arrests for drug law violations in 2012, 82.2% (1,276,099) were for mere possession of a controlled substance. Only 17.8% (276,333) were for the sale or manufacturing of a drug. Further, nearly half (48.3%) of drug arrests in 2012 were for marijuana -- a total of 749,825. Of those, an estimated 658,231 arrests (42.4% of all drug arrests) were for marijuana possession alone. By contrast in 2000, a total of 734,497 Americans were arrested for marijuana offenses, of which 646,042 (40.9%) were for possession alone.

Marijuana | Drug War Facts

You are correct Timmy, according to the department of Justice report from several years ago possession did not land you in prison, intent to distribute, and sell did, however, with minor time spent, or sentences waived. In fact states released "minor crime" as defined by hemp related during the period of overcrowding. Now selling, smuggling, transporting, cocaine, heroin, crack.... are different stories.
i know a guy who did a year because he had a 1/2 oz on him when he was pulled over for doing 10 miles per over the speed limit.....he was not sentenced for speeding....
He wasn't sentenced for smoking, either.

If he was sentenced for a year, then he had priors. Most likely he violated his probation and was sent back to serve whatever his original sentence was.
did i say he was smoking?......he was sentenced for the half ounce on him and he had no priors........
So it was possession.

Nobody in the history of the world has ever served a year for possession of half an ounce in the US. Sorry, somebody is pulling your leg.

i don't know what state you are in but 1/2 oz or less could get you jailed for up to 30 days in Tennessee. Folks, don't listen to Kosher Girl... a lot of Bible belt states and southern states can be harsh on marijuana users. If you use it most likely you are in possession of it or in possession of associated paraphernalia. Be careful when traveling and know the laws of each state into which you journey.
the guy im talking about was here in california in 1976...

Do people in the US still get arrested for marijuana?
Although the intent of a 'War on Drugs' may have been to target drug smugglers and 'King Pins,' according to the FBI's annual Uniform Crime Reports, of the 1,552,432 arrests for drug law violations in 2012, 82.2% (1,276,099) were for mere possession of a controlled substance. Only 17.8% (276,333) were for the sale or manufacturing of a drug. Further, nearly half (48.3%) of drug arrests in 2012 were for marijuana -- a total of 749,825. Of those, an estimated 658,231 arrests (42.4% of all drug arrests) were for marijuana possession alone. By contrast in 2000, a total of 734,497 Americans were arrested for marijuana offenses, of which 646,042 (40.9%) were for possession alone.

Marijuana | Drug War Facts

And very few people get sentenced to jail or prison for just possession.

Its a felony in Florida, to possess more than 3/4's of an ounce, with 5 years imprisonment as the Sentence and $5000 fine, I just looked it up....

so people are imprisoned for Possession....of less than an ounce in some States....

Just for having paraphernalia in Florida, it is a 1 year prison sentence, $1000 fine....and they lose their driver's license for 6 months

Holy crud, those are hefty sentences for just paraphernalia, and possession of less than an ounce a Felony, taking away your right to vote, no longer can get a good or even halfway decent job because of your felony.....

Gawd almighty, the money Florida must spend incarcerating people for basically nothing is incredible....
http://norml.org/pdf_files/state_penalties/NORML_FL_State_Penalties.pdf

and the way it varies by State is incredible!

Live in my state and it is a slap on the wrist for an ounce or two in possession, not even a misdemeanor here, yet in Florida for less than an ounce, it is a felony....holy crud!

Its a felony in Florida, to possess more than 3/4's of an ounce, with 5 years imprisonment as the Sentence and $5000 fine, I just looked it up....

so people are imprisoned for Possession....of less than an ounce in some States....

Just for having paraphernalia in Florida, it is a 1 year prison sentence, $1000 fine....and they lose their driver's license for 6 months

Holy crud, those are hefty sentences for just paraphernalia, and possession of less than an ounce a Felony, taking away your right to vote, no longer can get a good or even halfway decent job because of your felony.....

Gawd almighty, the money Florida must spend incarcerating people for basically nothing is incredible....

Live in my state and it is a slap on the wrist for an ounce or two in possession, not even a misdemeanor here, yet in Florida for less than an ounce, it is a felony....holy crud!

Again, those are the maximum sentencing guidelines. No one gets sentenced to 1 year for having drug paraphernalia.

Again, those are the maximum sentencing guidelines. No one gets sentenced to 1 year for having drug paraphernalia.
then WHY is the law written the way it is, if NO ONE goes to jail? Isn't that wrong?

Florida must use this law to blackmail them to settle and pay up with fines....?

Forum List

Back