Obama sent condolence letters to dead Seals families signed with an electric pen

My father was a veteran of the WWII, so we got a letter from LBJ when dad died in 1967.
There were probably hundreds of such letters being mailed every day during Johnson's term, so it's understandable if it's an automated signature.

But this... is unconscionable.

Rummy was in deep when it was discovered he wasn't signing all the letters. He had to issue an apology.

GW signed all of them personally.

Here's part of Rumsfeld's apology.

“At the earliest moment in the global war on terror, I determined that it is important that military families who have lost loved ones in hostile actions receive a letter from me directly.

“I wrote and approved the now more than 1000 letters sent to family members and next of kin of each of the servicemen and women killed in military action. While I have not individually signed each one, in the interest of ensuring expeditious contact with grieving family members, I have directed that in the future I sign each letter.

“I am deeply grateful for the many letters I have received from the families of those who have been killed in the service of our country, and I recognize and honor their personal loss.”

Rumsfeld to personally sign all condolence letters - News - Stripes

Thumbs down to this thread.

Are you saying that the parents of these fallen soldiers shouldn't be upset? It's their issue.
Are you that cold?

I'm just the messenger who saw it on Drudge.

They have the right to grieve how they choose.

However, using the death of a solider to point a wagging finger at Obama, is low.

Especially since he has saved hundreds of thousands of lives, both military and civilian. Considering all the personal things he does for families and for military and their families, this doesn't really sound like something he would do.

But, I want to know if we have any proof that this is true. Or is it just another made up lie about the president.

I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more lies as the election gets closer.

Rumsfeld to Personally Sign Condolence Letters
James Joyner · Sunday, December 19, 2004 · 23 Comments
Lawmakers Chide Rumsfeld for Auto-Signed Sympathy Letters (Reuters)

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld did not personally sign his name on letters of condolence to families of troops killed in Iraq but instead had it done by a machine, an action lawmakers said on Sunday showed insensitivity and was inappropriate for leadership during war.

Rumsfeld acknowledged that he had not signed the letters to family members of more than 1,000 U.S. troops killed in action and in a statement said he would now sign them in his own hand.

Have some fucking tact. Observe yourself as an outsider. You're trying to score political points over the lives of dead soldiers.

I'm afraid not. It's the Scumbucket in Chief who loves to score political points over dead people.

He's a real champ at that now isn't he?

Did the last president do the same thing?
Or did he personally sign all the 5000 or so letters to the families of soldiers killed in action?

Yuppers. Bush signed each and every one.

My father was a veteran of the WWII, so we got a letter from LBJ when dad died in 1967.
There were probably hundreds of such letters being mailed every day during Johnson's term, so it's understandable if it's an automated signature.

Rummy was in deep when it was discovered he wasn't signing all the letters. He had to issue an apology.

“At the earliest moment in the global war on terror, I determined that it is important that military families who have lost loved ones in hostile actions receive a letter from me directly.

“I wrote and approved the now more than 1000 letters sent to family members and next of kin of each of the servicemen and women killed in military action. While I have not individually signed each one, in the interest of ensuring expeditious contact with grieving family members, I have directed that in the future I sign each letter.

“I am deeply grateful for the many letters I have received from the families of those who have been killed in the service of our country, and I recognize and honor their personal loss.”

Let's see if Obama comes out and apologizes..

Oh wait.. He never does any wrong.. Why would he apologize?

The god-like status some of the posters hold Barry too is sickening.

Well this is a shocking claim. That's some caring Commander in Chief.

Obama Honored Fallen SEALs By Sending Their Parents a Form Letter Signed By Electric Pen
Posted by Jim Hoft on Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 10:31 AM

On August 6, 2011, 30 US service members were killed when a CH-47 Chinook helicopter they were being transported in crashed in Wardak province, Afghanistan.

It was the deadliest single loss for U.S. forces in the decade-long war in Afghanistan. 17 members of the elite Navy SEALs were killed in the crash.

Yesterday, Karen and Billy Vaughn, parents of Aaron Carson Vaughn, spoke at the Defending the Defenders forum sponsored by the Tea Party Patriots outside the RNC Convention in Tampa. Karen brought a copy of the form letter they were sent following their son’s death.

It’s a form letter.

letter-one

It was signed by an electric pen.

That’s not all.
Karen Vaughn reached out to the parents of the other SEALs killed in that crash.
Their letters were all the same.
Form letters – signed by an electric pen.

letter-2-e1346254203876.jpg

Here's the link:

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...parents-a-form-letter-signed-by-electric-pen/

Who gives a fuck?

I would think the families of the fallen SEAls.

Have other Presidents done the same?

Are you saying that the parents of these fallen soldiers shouldn't be upset? It's their issue.
Are you that cold?

I'm just the messenger who saw it on Drudge.

They have the right to grieve how they choose.

However, using the death of a solider to point a wagging finger at Obama, is low.

Especially since he has saved hundreds of thousands of lives, both military and civilian. Considering all the personal things he does for families and for military and their families, this doesn't really sound like something he would do.

But, I want to know if we have any proof that this is true. Or is it just another made up lie about the president.

I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more lies as the election gets closer.

Go to the link and check out the parents and the letters.

Oh and, President Obama did not send any letters to families. The White House however, did.

I'm really sick of how the rw's expect this man to be everywhere and responsible for everything. He's good but ain't nobody could do or control everything.

And, remember that it hasn't been so long ago that our president refused to allow death counts to be published and no photos of funerals or caskets.

President Obama changed that. He has gone to meet with families personally and has done more for vets and their families than any worthless R ever did.

If RobMe and Robin win, it will be right back to sending military to their deaths and then lying about it.

James Joyner · Sunday, December 19, 2004 · 23 Comments
Lawmakers Chide Rumsfeld for Auto-Signed Sympathy Letters (Reuters)

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld did not personally sign his name on letters of condolence to families of troops killed in Iraq but instead had it done by a machine, an action lawmakers said on Sunday showed insensitivity and was inappropriate for leadership during war.

Rumsfeld acknowledged that he had not signed the letters to family members of more than 1,000 U.S. troops killed in action and in a statement said he would now sign them in his own hand.

I brought it up already about Rummy. He was in deep shit as well he should be for not personally signing all the letters.

As well he should be. When men and women die in your country's service, it's the least that can be done.

Obama Takes Time Out of His Schedule To Send Personal Letter of Condolence To Family of Rapper Heavy D…

He found time for this.

“We extend our heartfelt condolences at this difficult time. He will be remembered for his infectious optimism and many contributions to American music. Please know that you and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers,” the president wrote in a letter, which the Rev. Al Sharpton read at the service, The Associated Press reported.

Obama Takes Time Out of His Schedule To Send Personal Letter of Condolence To Family of Fallen Soldier Rapper Heavy D… | Weasel Zippers

I'm afraid not. It's the Scumbucket in Chief who loves to score political points over dead people.

He's a real champ at that now isn't he?

Or did he personally sign all the 5000 or so letters to the families of soldiers killed in action?

From what I can learn they are all form letters with the rank, name, etc filled in.

Last edited:

From what I can learn they are all form letters with the rank, name, etc filled in.

I have not a problem with a form letter in a time of war. But this was an especially tragic event with the largest loss of life in Afghanistan in one shot (no pun intended).

And these letters should be personally signed by the CIC. No excuses. And I was furious over Rumsfeld, glad he was humbled and changed his way.

You do overtime to send condolences to those families who have lost their loved ones who made the biggest sacrifice for their country.

No golf. No parties. Do some O/T.

I'm not buying the phony sentiments. They both shed a crocodile tear - like disgusting Boehner who can't do his job but he can sure cry on demand - but neither hesitated to send more to their deaths - for NOTHING.

If they really "honored" our military, they would have not have gone into Iraq and Afghanistan.

You rw's hate Obama but he has cut the number being killed. He has handled the war on terror with 21st century weapons instead of sending thousands more to be killed.

How many did bush get killed in order to "get" bin Laden? The damn fool invaded the wrong friggin country!

You don't want to give credit to Obama but that does not change facts - He is responsible for getting bin Laden, Gaddafi, hundreds of other Taliban and al-Queda and their leaders.

Obama has made our borders so much more secure. No successful terrorist attacks but several caught and stopped at the border. Very few Mexicans coming across illegally now. More deportees than any other president.

Very little money spent and very few lives lost.

But, you fools want to go back to huge military spending, more wars, more deficit and somehow you think everything is going to be fixed by lowering the taxes on the 1% and raising our taxes.

You're willing to end this period of lower taxes, cutting the deficit (YES, that's right, look it up cuz I'm sick of posting it for you to ignore), you want to hand over our defense to a lazy and ignorant draft dodger and a hawk whose only knowledge of foreign affairs is, in his own words, that he voted to send our people to get killed.

Yes and I'd bet Bush signed every one the same way he kept his promise to quit playing golf. (He said it but never quit.)

He was a chronic liar who said what he thought would get him off the hook and back to the bar.

I'm not outraged at all. I don't respect President Obama whatsoever. It's the parents of these soldiers that are outrage.

Go dump on them.

Here's the key to the story:

After the deadliest single loss of US forces in Afghanistan, Barack Obama sent out form letters to the parents.

You're the one who started this thread so you own it. Previous posts to the above indicate you agree with the parents.

Just because we point out what a dumb-arsed thread it is and nothing but pathetic partisan hackery linked from a neo-con whackjob, Obama-hating site, there is no need to get defensive..:cool:

Last edited:
Sorry, TD, but I am not overly outraged by this. Auto-pens have been used in the White House for decades. So have form letters. While it would certainly have been more appropriate to at least personally sign the letters, I am not going to rake Obama over the coals on this one

Obama Honored Fallen SEALs By Sending Their Parents a Form Letter Signed By Electric Pen

On August 6, 2011, 30 US service members were killed when a CH-47 Chinook helicopter they were being transported in crashed in Wardak province, Afghanistan.

It was the deadliest single loss for U.S. forces in the decade-long war in Afghanistan. 17 members of the elite Navy SEALs were killed in the crash.

Yesterday, Karen and Billy Vaughn, parents of Aaron Carson Vaughn, spoke at the Defending the Defenders forum sponsored by the Tea Party Patriots outside the RNC Convention in Tampa. Karen brought a copy of the form letter they were sent following their son’s death.

It’s a form letter.

letter-one

That’s not all.
Karen Vaughn reached out to the parents of the other SEALs killed in that crash.

Here's the link:

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...parents-a-form-letter-signed-by-electric-pen/

Who gives a fuck?
I DO.. If my spouse died in combat I would think OUR president would give a small amount of time to sign his DAMN name. I mean he has time to GOLF and Vacation doesnt he ..

It’s a form letter.

letter-one

That’s not all.

Here's the link with more of the form letters shown.

Geez__ Even his signature is narcissistic.

Sorry, TD, but I am not overly outraged by this. Auto-pens have been used in the White House for decades. So have form letters. While it would certainly have been more appropriate to at least personally sign the letters, I am not going to rake Obama over the coals on this one

I'm not outraged either. But the parents are. I can see where there is a huge movement now within the Seals to campaign against Obama with everything that is coming out about the Bin Laden mission.

Especially now that it's been verified that the White House and the CIA and the Pentagon were all in joyously to make that promo movie for Obama.

Those emails are pretty damning with seniors officials saying that they were supposed to keep quiet as part of the deal to be able to go to the premiere of the movie with free tickets.

Seals aren't happy with the CIC.

I'm not outraged either. But the parents are. I can see where there is a huge movement now within the Seals to campaign against Obama with everything that is coming out about the Bin Laden mission.

Especially now that it's been verified that the White House and the CIA and the Pentagon were all in joyously to make that promo movie for Obama.

Those emails are pretty damning with seniors officials saying that they were supposed to keep quiet as part of the deal to be able to go to the premiere of the movie with free tickets.

Seals aren't happy with the CIC.

In this case, would have been better to not get anything, than a letter that is auto penned, it seems cold for such a personal and traumatic loss.

Forum List

Back