Obama Says Essentially For Us To Forget About $2 Gas

Why would you people think we can go back to 2.00 gas?

Can we go back to 2.00# steak? Can we go back to new cars for 5000 bucks?

That would mean we would be going back to 30 cent a gallon gas.
Only on the $5k cars. Steak was $2 when gas was in the $0.90 range.

What people do not remember, is that gas was in the $0.89-$0.99 per gallon range for a long time. Many years. There was long-term stability, and companies didn't have to factor in speculators and Chinese growth and India growth and major environmental fuck-ups from oil companies, and a hair-trigger Middle East, all arming themselves.

And yes - you Rightwingers have nothing to bitch about. You can thank Bush for a lot of this, going into Iraq to avenge daddy. If he had just done what America wanted him to do: get the people who attacked us, Saddam would still be keeping a lid on Iran and gas prices would be low and stable. Because Saddam didn't give a fuck how many of his soldiers he would have to sent if Iran started any shit. He proved that in the Iran-Iraq War of the 1980s. He WAS their Huckleberry! But Dubya fucked that whole Mexican standoff right up, and screwed the pooch doing it, like the Neo-Con dumbass that he is.
Boooooooooooosh!!!

You fucking fugly idiot....

That would mean we would be going back to 30 cent a gallon gas.

What people do not remember, is that gas was in the $0.89-$0.99 per gallon range for a long time. Many years. There was long-term stability, and companies didn't have to factor in speculators and Chinese growth and India growth and major environmental fuck-ups from oil companies, and a hair-trigger Middle East, all arming themselves.

And yes - you Rightwingers have nothing to bitch about. You can thank Bush for a lot of this, going into Iraq to avenge daddy. If he had just done what America wanted him to do: get the people who attacked us, Saddam would still be keeping a lid on Iran and gas prices would be low and stable. Because Saddam didn't give a fuck how many of his soldiers he would have to sent if Iran started any shit. He proved that in the Iran-Iraq War of the 1980s. He WAS their Huckleberry! But Dubya fucked that whole Mexican standoff right up, and screwed the pooch doing it, like the Neo-Con dumbass that he is.
Boooooooooooosh!!!

What were gas prices before he invaded Iraq, dumbass? :lol:

i notice both quotes come steve chu, where is the quote from Obama stating any of this? or are you just saying he is Obama's proxy?

so the GOP tried to do an end around, around the president and it was shot down. hmmmm would the right cry foul if the Dems would have done the same thing to try and get around Bush?
Steven Chu is the Energy Secretary. He serves at the pleasure of the President. Therefore his views are the views of the President.
Chu has been quoted as saying "we need to find a way to raise gas prices to the levels in Europe".
Such a draconian increase in fuel prices would absolutely crush the US economy.
You people on the left are so two faced. From one side you bitch and moan about this alleged conflict of the 1% vs the 99%. Then on the other side you cheerlead for high energy prices which would make it impossible for middle class people to afford to get to work.
Which is it?
Please spare me the horseshit about building high speed rail and other money losing mass transit schemes.
Have you any clue how many trillions of dollars would be needed to build a rail and mass transit system that mirrors what exists in Europe?
Do you really want to entrust the federal government to run this when it has shown it cannot run AMTRAK at break even? REALLY?
We have a rail system here. I loses so much money that at one time it was de-funded.
AMTRAK continues to bleed money. Travel is slow and inconvenient.
For example , a train trp from Miami to New York takes almost two days. Cross country travel 4 days. FOUR DAYS!!!! Absurd.
:lol:

i dont cheer for high gas prices, but im smart enough to know they arent the presidents fault. its called the free market and capitalism.

"As America continues its game of high-speed rail hot potato, China has quietly finished laying the tracks for the longest bullet line in the world. Spanning more than 800 miles, the line will link the Chinese capital of Beijing with Shanghai, an economic hub on the east. Travel between the two cities will drop to four hours—down from 10—when train service begins in 2012.
As the BBC points out, five years ago China had no high-speed rail track to speak of. Today, at roughly 4,000 miles, China’s bullet train network is already the world’s most extensive. That total is set to double within two years, according to the World Bank, which would give China more high-speed mileage than the rest of the globe combined. The trains on the Beijing-Shanghai line, called the CRH380A, will travel up to 236 miles per hour, the Wall Street Journal reported yesterday, and they will be part of a national network expected to reach 9,700 miles by 2020."
China completes world's longest bullet train line - Democratic Underground

california is in the planning process of building a bullet train between LA and SF which will make the top in about 2 hours 40 mins as opposed to 6 -7 by car. are you saying you wouldnt take this if you could?

the rail system here is pathetic, hence why no one uses. AMTRAK is a joke and travels less than 100 mph.

Of course anyone in their right mind would look at all options for long distance travel. However, those options must be convenient.
Also, a person must have a reason to use such a system.
Here's an example of the problem....
There is an AMTRAK line which runs from Charlotte to Raleigh.
Total travel time is about 3 and 3/4 hours. Drive time by vehicle is about one hour less depending on traffic. On a bad day, it could take 3.5 hrs.
So let's say the time is close enough on average to use the train...
First problem. The train runs just three round trips per day. On in the morning. mid day and evening.
Second problem. The train station in Charlotte is in a high crime neighborhood. There is no appreciable security in the parking lot and access to the station is wide open. The parking lot is poorly lit. It is about 20 miles away.
Third problem. If I were to go to Raleigh for a reason, it would be to go to the RBC Center to catch a hockey game. That arena is some 7 miles from the AMTRAK station. The cab fare according to the City of Raleigh taxi rate calculator is $22.52. Add in the 15% gratuity and that's another $3.75....So it's over $50 in cab fare. There is no bus service that takes people directly from the train station to the arena.
The cab ride is about 20 minutes.
SO a 2.75 hour trip by car is increased to over 4 hours using the train and a cab . Plus when you figure in gas and parking, driving is cheaper. In my car 300 miles is 3/4ths of a tank which in that car costs me about $45. Parking at the RBC Center is $5.
SO you see even if the train got me from point to point in the same time is takes to drive, the train costs much more than driving. It's not a viable option.
Next?

Boooooooooooosh!!!

Take your lips off of barry's organ, boy....

Boooooooooooosh!!!

Non sequitur.
You keep posting those tin foil hat conspiracy theories.
Keep in touch with yourself....

Boooooooooooosh!!!

Non sequitur.
What were gas prices before he invaded Iraq?

Come on. I expect nothing but drooling and grunting from Dr. House, but you want everyone on this site to think you're smart, so answer the question.

Non sequitur.

Come on. I expect nothing but drooling and grunting from Dr. House, but you want everyone on this site to think you're smart, so answer the question.

Around a dollar a gallon. But Iraq isnt what caused the increase. Or at least it wasnt a major factor.

Non sequitur.

Around a dollar a gallon. But Iraq isnt what caused the increase. Or at least it wasnt a major factor.
OK, I'll bite. Bring links.

The war dropped oil prices by 1/3rd. Over the 8 year war period that could of saved us triple the cost of the war.

As soon as we pulled our troops out of Iraq oil prices shot up & have not stopped climbing since. Let me know when they top out what percent rise that will be.

When we invaded Iraq oil price dropped 33%. That 33% drop in price times our USA annual 7.6 billion barrel oil consumption saved us $366 billion a year. Over the 8 years of the Iraq war total could be $2.9 trillion. So take out the ~$1 trillion cost of the Iraq war & we may be $1.9 trillion in the black.

Oil prices crashed 33% from $40 down to $27 after we invaded Iraq in March 2003.

6779516524_7ab2dc9741_b.jpg

Last edited:
Steven Chu and the Obama administration are lying sacks of shit.....

Steven Chu in 2008...
Energy Secretary Chu Says Lower Gas Prices Are Not Obama's Goal - Investors.com
"somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe," which are in the neighborhood of $8 a gallon.

Steven Chu today...
Senate Blocks Bid To Speed Keystone Approval -- But Obama Loses Dems Despite Lobbying | Fox News
...Chu said Thursday that the administration "wants very much to do what we can to lower the price of gasoline."
i notice both quotes come steve chu, where is the quote from Obama stating any of this? or are you just saying he is Obama's proxy?

so the GOP tried to do an end around, around the president and it was shot down. hmmmm would the right cry foul if the Dems would have done the same thing to try and get around Bush?

He's the fucking Secretary of energy, you dip-shit. You honestly think he doesn't speak for the Obama administration???

crickets... I thought as much.

Gasoline at the pump prices crashed from $1.75 down to $1.25 after we invaded Iraq in March 2003. Wholesale gasoline dropped from $1.25 down to $0.75. Add in the taxes & gas at the pump prices dropped from $1.75 down to $1.25. Now that we have pulled out of Iraq pump price have risen.

6779554494_cf360c145f_b.jpg

Non sequitur.

Gas-Price-History.png

Gas goes up up up from 2003 to 2008

The war dropped oil prices by 1/3rd. Over the 8 year war period that could of saved us triple the cost of the war.

As soon as we pulled our troops out of Iraq oil prices shot up & have not stopped climbing since. Let me know when they top out what percent rise that will be.

Then how does that explain the $4 gas in the Spring and Summer of 2008?

When we invaded Iraq oil price dropped 33%. That 33% drop in price times our USA annual 7.6 billion barrel oil consumption saved us $366 billion a year.

That's because Saudi Arabia compensated by opening up their spigots.

Gasoline at the pump prices crashed from $1.75 down to $1.25 after we invaded Iraq in March 2003. Wholesale gasoline dropped from $1.25 down to $0.75. Add in the taxes & gas at the pump prices dropped from $1.75 down to $1.25. Now that we have pulled out of Iraq pump price have risen.

6779554494_cf360c145f_b.jpg

That's because talk of war and uncertainty made it rise from around $1.45 nationally to $1.75-$1.95, which back then was a big jump. Then, the Saudis pumped more, as their contribution, and prices fell.

They also fell due to the averting of disaster that people were expecting with the Iraqi oil wells. There were pre-war fears that he would set them on fire again, like during the Gulf War.

Forum List

Back