Obama Says Essentially For Us To Forget About $2 Gas

How about the numerous deployments overseas to keep the oil flowing? That don't count?

How about overthrowing a democratically elected government in Iran to keep them from nationalizing their oil companies?

That..I suppose don't count either.

The world must look great through those rose colored glasses Mr. H!

Unemployment has turned you into quite the apologist.

You, at once upon a time was more balanced.

How about the numerous deployments overseas to keep the oil flowing? That don't count?

How about overthrowing a democratically elected government in Iran to keep them from nationalizing their oil companies?

That..I suppose don't count either.

The world must look great through those rose colored glasses Mr. H!

What do those actions have to do with domestic oil production?

I don't think you understand that Obama is specifically targeting domestic oil and natural gas production with anywhere from $40 billion to $90 billion in punitive tax measures by disallowing ordinary expensing of investments. And who will this hit the hardest? Independents, not major internaional conglomerate oil companies.

Chavez all but nationalized the oil and gas industries in Venezuela. Many on this board call for the U.S. to do the same. To what end? Artificially drive down the price of gasoline?

Anyhow, if you'd like to address specific items in the tax code that you consider "subsidies" then please do. Subsidies is mail box money. The kind that pays farmers for not growing crops and for windmills to stop spinning.

How much can I offer you to stop the spinning? :D

Big oil..is out for profit. That's it. They are not patriotic. They are not altruists. They are self motivated.

Worth remembering. That and the rethug mantra, alltogether now; everything wrong is Obama's fault and everything right is not Obama's fault.

It really is that simple..........to be a Rethug. It is all Obama'a fault. NO thinking allowed or wanted. Blind obedience is required. It is ALL Obama's fault. That must really make them feel good. Not having to accept responsibility for anything.

But the funniest thing I have seen written lately is the poster that declared that George W was a great president. I spit coffee all over my puter. Thanks a lot. A close second was the statement that the oil industry is not tax subsidized. But that was a plain stupid comment.

Thank the Goddess you didn't screw your puter up.

I look forward to your every syllable.

Is a barrel of oil 55 gallons?

If the price of gas is going to be $2 per gallon, the price per barrel + the cost of transportation, refining, distribution, and mark-up has to equal $110. Currently the price of oil is $100+ barrel.

What is the plan to drop the price down to rougly $70-80 per barrel?

If the price of gas is going to be $2 per gallon, the price per barrel + the cost of transportation, refining, distribution, and mark-up has to equal $110. Currently the price of oil is $100+ barrel.

One "barrel" of oil is 42 gallons..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrel_(unit)

The standard oil barrel of 42 US gallons is used in the United States as a measure of crude oil and other petroleum products.
Today's NYMEX quotes...Note, all quotes on the first page are for the April contract.
News Headlines
Oil closed on the NYMEX at over $107...UNL GAS for delivery sits at $3.33 per gallon..
Gas is up 60 cents per gallon since Dec 20th 2011. And has increased $2 since the start of the Obama administration.

Big oil..is out for profit. That's it. They are not patriotic. They are not altruists. They are self motivated.

Worth remembering. That and the rethug mantra, alltogether now; everything wrong is Obama's fault and everything right is not Obama's fault.

It really is that simple..........to be a Rethug. It is all Obama'a fault. NO thinking allowed or wanted. Blind obedience is required. It is ALL Obama's fault. That must really make them feel good. Not having to accept responsibility for anything.

But the funniest thing I have seen written lately is the poster that declared that George W was a great president. I spit coffee all over my puter. Thanks a lot. A close second was the statement that the oil industry is not tax subsidized. But that was a plain stupid comment.

And you dummycrat libtards balme your little problems on Bush.
You people are not happy unless you're miserable.

Now if you want the government to be in charge of domestic gas prices..that's another argument entirely.

What I have heard repeatedly is the our energy supply is of critical nationl importance. If this is fact, then why in the hell would we sell our dwindling supply of crude to other investors anywhere in the world? Sell our national treasure to the highest world wide bidder.

Oh I know. It's capitalism. And those companies have a god given right to drill our oil and sell it back to us at prices that reflect the world market prices. Even though it is Americas oil.

Yea I could see where the governmnet needs to take over the oil industry in America. I mean it is of critical nationl importance. Right? And the oil companies are only loyal to profit and the bottom line. The oil companies could give a shit less where they sell our oil.

Nothing like cutting your own throat.

That would be sorta the logical thing to do. But we are not discussing logical people. For nearly a century or so we've been sending kids to go world wide and stomp on foreign people to grab their resources. Additionally we've given all sorts of goodies to big oil like cheap land use rates, grants and subsidies. What has that gotten us? A great deal of expense for "cheap" oil. And the "new" argument is to give big oil more..in the hope that they will charge less for their product. It makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE.

To Grab Their Resources eh ? Not to purchase them, but to grab them ?

Lets look at what I have highlighted above, and lets think about this mindset for a second or two, because that is about how fast it is understood to be total baloney.... We the U.S. who are buying Oil from various nations abroad, and for whom these nations or regions are situated in some very hot bed areas around the world, have pledged our support of these nations from time to time, where as we have and do keep a serious national interest in these regions. Why? It's because we have a gazillion things in America in which depend on oil as a critical conponent or part of, in which we use on a daily basis at great cost. Further more the nations in which we have been supporting one way or another, have never complained or has ever seen our support as something bad for them when selling us their oil. Yes we may have defended Quwait and run Sadam out of there after he invaded for Oil and their oil fields, so do you have a problem with that? Poor Sadam and his hinchmen, do you have a soft spot for him and his hinchmen maybe, or for any other rogue dictator & their hinchmen for whom may want to disrupt or cause problems for America's vital interest in the many regions or nations that are being delt with for oil ?

Whose side are you on actually, I mean with a trumped up statement in which I highlighted above that you have spoken of in this way ? :eusa_shifty:

Last edited:
He's right. Speculators, OPEC and the political environment in places like Iran, determine gas prices. I've also heard that we have cheaper gas than Europe does because we give subsidies to big oil. US production isn't the determining factor either. US production has increased significantly under the Obama administration.
I absolutely agree with the first sentence re: speculators, OPEC, etc.

However gasoline prices are higher in Europe primarily due to higher taxes.
Also, Brent crude is selling at a $15/barrel premium to U.S. produced crudes.

BTW there are no subsides to the U.S. oil industry.
did you write that with a straight face??? :lol:

The standard oil barrel of 42 US gallons is used in the United States as a measure of crude oil and other petroleum products.
Today's NYMEX quotes...Note, all quotes on the first page are for the April contract.
News Headlines
Oil closed on the NYMEX at over $107...UNL GAS for delivery sits at $3.33 per gallon..
Gas is up 60 cents per gallon since Dec 20th 2011. And has increased $2 since the start of the Obama administration.

Okay, 42 gallons. So at $105, that is $2.50 a gallon. Oil would have to be $84 a barrel to get it to $2.00 per gallon if the oil companies are willing to extract it, transport it, refine it, re-transport it, and then sell it for free.

What is the plan to get it to $84 a barrel?

Why was the price of gas so low at the start of the Obama administration?

Market forces.

Elaborate.

Be specific.
Really?...
The buying and selling of oil and gasoline contracts, geo-political considerations, federal spending and how it affecrs the value of the US Dollar, etc.
Don't play stupid. You won't get a rise out of me.
Got a question, how come no one is whining about how speculators are driving DOWN the price of Natural Gas? Natural Gas is at historic lows. Those who heat their water, their homes and cook with natural gas are paying the cheapest prices ever. Where is the concern over those evil speculators on this issue? Crickets.

News Headlines

Okay, 42 gallons. So at $105, that is $2.50 a gallon. Oil would have to be $84 a barrel to get it to $2.00 per gallon if the oil companies are willing to extract it, transport it, refine it, re-transport it, and then sell it for free.

Gasoline is just one product of the refining process. Oil is used for.....well almost everything. Let's get this out the way. IN that same link I posted earlier, the passage went on to state that one 42 Gal barrel yields 19 gallons of gas.
Take a look around the room in which you are sitting. Try to give a rough count of all of the items in that room that are NOT made or do NOT consist of some type of petro-chemical product or derivative. Chances are you'll be hard pressed to find a single thing.
All of this nonsense Obama is spewing about alternative fuel, using less gas and getting us off oil is bullshit. There is not now nor will there be a viable alternative to petroleum in the foreseeable future.
Obama is anti fossil fuel for purely political reasons. His own words were that he was disturbed about how rapidly gas rose to $4 per gallon, not the fact that IT IS $4 per gallon.
Energy Sec'y Steven Chu ha been quoted as saying the US Government needs to find a way to increase gas prices to the levels seen in Europe.
The fact is these people WANT gasoline ot be expensive. The point is if energy is expensive, the economy will suffer, people will become unable to afford to go to work, basic human needs will become more expensive. All these things result in the ultimate goal of this Administration, that is to create more dependency on government.

News Headlines

Gasoline is just one product of the refining process. Oil is used for.....well almost everything. Let's get this out the way. IN that same link I posted earlier, the passage went on to state that one 42 Gal barrel yields 19 gallons of gas.
Take a look around the room in which you are sitting. Try to give a rough count of all of the items in that room that are NOT made or do NOT consist of some type of petro-chemical product or derivative. Chances are you'll be hard pressed to find a single thing.
All of this nonsense Obama is spewing about alternative fuel, using less gas and getting us off oil is bullshit. There is not now nor will there be a viable alternative to petroleum in the foreseeable future.
Obama is anti fossil fuel for purely political reasons. His own words were that he was disturbed about how rapidly gas rose to $4 per gallon, not the fact that IT IS $4 per gallon.
Energy Sec'y Steven Chu ha been quoted as saying the US Government needs to find a way to increase gas prices to the levels seen in Europe.
The fact is these people WANT gasoline ot be expensive. The point is if energy is expensive, the economy will suffer, people will become unable to afford to go to work, basic human needs will become more expensive. All these things result in the ultimate goal of this Administration, that is to create more dependency on government.

Political reasons? You've got to be kidding. Does he seem more popular to you?

You're sort of making my case for me. Explain to us how we get back to $2.00 per gallon.

News Headlines

It should be drill baby drill, and then next to lock up all the crooks who seek to profit in the extremes, where as they do it at the expense of the nations economy by being traderous crooks, instead of doing what is right in all of this (i.e. make a little bit, but also give a little bit to).

News Headlines

It should be drill baby drill, and then next to lock up all the crooks who seek to profit in the extremes, where as they do it at the expense of the nations economy by being traderous crooks, instead of doing what is right in all of this (i.e. make a little bit, but also give a little bit to).

Well, in a vaccum, if gas if $4 per gallon, and we want to get it to $2 a gallon and demand stays constant, scientist tell us that we'd have to double supply in that case. Can we double supply by drill-baby-drill? Don't think so.

We have to address the demand curve. The only way to do that is to go alternative because we're not giving up our cars. LNG--the way to go.

Forum List

Back