Obama revealed he thought about 'making love to men daily' in unearthed letter

The letter would have been an albatross around his neck. Nobody is that good of a politician.
That is an assumption.

I do not think it is one that really bears out to be quite frank. I am unsure if enough people that voted for him would give a shit. The black community, the most outspoken against gays, would not have cared because Obama's race. Generally speaking, the people that would have really cared about some old letters about Obama being bi would have been from people that did not vote for Obama in the first place.

The stark reality here is that all the outrage about it would have been on the right from people that would not vote Obama under any circumstances whatsoever. Trump is actually a good example of this. Trump said a LOT of shit that would have sank any other politician. The fact was, however, none of Trump's voters gives a rats ass if he says vulgar shit in a locker room. ALL of the people that care about that asinine crap would have never voted for Trump anyway so those 'albatross' moments did not effect his vote totals at all.

He's a good orator, that is what I give him credit for, not much else.
I would not actually call him a good orator.

If you do not think he is a good politician though I think you are just ignoring the obvious. he knows how to brand himself, he knows how to appeal to people and he knows when to say something and when to shut up for the most part.

his approval ratings are among the highest there are. His popularity to this very day remains strong. Indeed, he is the MOST popular president today:
Barack Obama popularity & fame | YouGov

You are objectively wrong if you do not think Obama is good at playing politics.

That is an assumption.

I do not think it is one that really bears out to be quite frank. I am unsure if enough people that voted for him would give a shit. The black community, the most outspoken against gays, would not have cared because Obama's race. Generally speaking, the people that would have really cared about some old letters about Obama being bi would have been from people that did not vote for Obama in the first place.

The stark reality here is that all the outrage about it would have been on the right from people that would not vote Obama under any circumstances whatsoever. Trump is actually a good example of this. Trump said a LOT of shit that would have sank any other politician. The fact was, however, none of Trump's voters gives a rats ass if he says vulgar shit in a locker room. ALL of the people that care about that asinine crap would have never voted for Trump anyway so those 'albatross' moments did not effect his vote totals at all.
A damned good assumption. You can't ask people today if they would have still voted for Obama back then. You have to go back in time and change the time line to find out.

I would not actually call him a good orator.

If you do not think he is a good politician though I think you are just ignoring the obvious. he knows how to brand himself, he knows how to appeal to people and he knows when to say something and when to shut up for the most part.

his approval ratings are among the highest there are. His popularity to this very day remains strong. Indeed, he is the MOST popular president today:
Barack Obama popularity & fame | YouGov

You are objectively wrong if you do not think Obama is good at playing politics.
Are we talking about a popularity contest, or a good president? I'm getting confused.

He called me and 1/2 of America the enemy. Had us in wars we shouldn't have been, and
created racial tension. He was a divider, not a uniter. Had our credit rating cut....etc.

Are we talking about a popularity contest, or a good president? I'm getting confused.

He called me and 1/2 of America the enemy. Had us in wars we shouldn't have been, and
created racial tension. He was a divider, not a uniter. Had our credit rating cut....etc.
We are talking about a politician.

There are 2 real metrics for how good you are at being a politician, how many of your issues you manage to get passed (and Obama has a pretty good record on that front) and your popularity. Yes that is a MAJOR part of being a good politician.

They agree with me or I like what they stand for are NOT metrics for a good politician. The fact he was a shit president does not mean he was not a good politician. Those words are not synonyms.

We are talking about a politician.

There are 2 real metrics for how good you are at being a politician, how many of your issues you manage to get passed (and Obama has a pretty good record on that front) and your popularity. Yes that is a MAJOR part of being a good politician.

They agree with me or I like what they stand for are NOT metrics for a good politician. The fact he was a shit president does not mean he was not a good politician. Those words are not synonyms.
:rolleyes-41:

A damned good assumption. You can't ask people today if they would have still voted for Obama back then. You have to go back in time and change the time line to find out.
As I said, I think it is a terrible assumption.

And an assumption based on nothing more than what you think. Obama remains massively popular and, had it not been illegal, almost certainly would have attained a third term. That you think accusations of decades old fantasies would change any of that is a shit assumption.

Call it what you want....Obama won the popularity poll, and sucked as a president. At least you agree to that apparently.
I could care less how he 'brands" himself. :eusa_eh:
lol.

Nothing to do with him branding anything. It has to do with what words actually mean. You should buy a dictionary.

As I said, I think it is a terrible assumption.

And an assumption based on nothing more than what you think. Obama remains massively popular and, had it not been illegal, almost certainly would have attained a third term. That you think accusations of decades old fantasies would change any of that is a shit assumption.
It's not a terrible assumption at all. It is a very realistic assumption. You're more interested in feelings, emotions, and morality than you are in reality and understanding the times and we are not talking about today, we're talking about 2008.

It's not a terrible assumption at all. It is a very realistic assumption. You're more interested in feelings, emotions, and morality than you are in reality and understanding the times and we are not talking about today, we're talking about 2008.

You appeal to feelings and then project that onto me. Nice try.

You appeal to feelings and then project that onto me. Nice try.
If you voted for Obama you can say now that you know this new information you would have still voted for him. That's probably true and I don't doubt you. But, you can't speak for others. More than likely others would not have voted for him (even in the primaries) if they had known this information in 2008.

You may have misunderstood me slightly as I wasn't even talking about the general election. I was kind of saying that it is doubtful that he would have been the nominee in 2008. Hillary would have probably won. But, even if he had been the nominee in 2008 I don't think the public at large was ready to have a gay feeling president at that time. It would have sunk him.

And, before you think I am some right wing MAGA voter, I actually am and independent. I used to vote for dems regularly in my younger days and I even voted for Al Gore, Bill Clinton the second time around, Obama the second time around, and am very seriously considering voting for Joe Manchin this time around if the No Labels party thing works out.

If you voted for Obama you can say now that you know this new information you would have still voted for him. That's probably true and I don't doubt you. But, you can't speak for others. More than likely others would not have voted for him (even in the primaries) if they had known this information in 2008.
I did not vote for him but I can tell you if it came out for any candidate it would not change my vote.

More importantly, as you have failed to address, Obama's possible decades old fantasies would not have influenced DEMOCRAT votes. Voters on the right did not vote for him in the first place.

The only left wing constituents that would really be influenced by this revelation is the black vote and I would bet damn good money that the black vote would still have turned out in force for Obama.
You may have misunderstood me slightly as I wasn't even talking about the general election. I was kind of saying that it is doubtful that he would have been the nominee in 2008. Hillary would have probably won. But, even if he had been the nominee in 2008 I don't think the public at large was ready to have a gay feeling president at that time. It would have sunk him.
That is more of a possibility.

And you keep saying gay. That is just flatly incorrect. It would have been allegations of possible bisexual tendencies years ago, not even acts. That is what we are talking about. that you have to mislabel it just tells me that you don't even believe your own position.
And, before you think I am some right wing MAGA voter, I actually am and independent. I used to vote for dems regularly in my younger days and I even voted for Al Gore, Bill Clinton the second time around, Obama, the second time around, and am very seriously considering voting for Joe Manchin this time around if the No Labels party thing works out.
I did not make a claim about your political predilections, they are not relevant here. The facts are Obama is MASSIVELY popular and has always been so. We are talking about decade old fantasies in letters, no more. That is pretty much immaterial to the general in almost all cases. And we are talking about the left wing which has been quite pro LGBT for awhile. The main resistance to LGBT support has been from the right. Even in 2008, the democrats were pro gays, the only reason there was any question on the issue was because of concerns for the general so him having letters about fantasies having a large effect in the democrat primary is rather silly.

Obama's possible decades old fantasies would not have influenced DEMOCRAT votes.
They sure would have. Hillary would have prevailed in the primary. And many independents would have voted for McCain instead if Obama was the nominee. And, some democrats would have voted for McCain over Obama if this had been known back then. Now, if Obama had won in 2008 without this knowledge, and then this would have come out after 2008 and before the 2012 election, then, more than likely, Obama would have still won in 2012. I don't think that would have changed things for that election. But 2008 would be a different story.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back