Obama Returns to End-of-Life Plan That Caused Stir

I did not read that exchange - I don't read every comment on the board. If you feel it worth calling out, please go ahead.

of course you didn't read the exchange you ignorant twit. because she's a rightwingnut loon just like you.

talk about bullies.

hack.

You really are a sad case. Get help.

You could learn something from the way GTH responded, but I doubt you will.

he's free to respond to you any way he wishes. as far as i'm concerned, you were answered the way a pissant with an overly inflated ego like you deserves to be answered. you're one of the most bitter people i've ever seen and i don't tolerate schoolyard bullies in real life or on the internet, little girl.

now run along and play.

I don't give a shit about your sob stories. I watched My mother die last year and had to make decisions about her. And guess what, we did it all WITHOUT the stinking Guberment sticking their friggen noses in it.
now you are dismissed.:eusa_hand:

Sorry for your loss.

However, this ironically, goes to the heart of this issue.

Who made decisions about your mother's end of life care? You did.

What did your mother want? I would assume you can only guess. Maybe you were lucky and she verbalized some intent to you. Or maybe you had to simply guess.

End of life planning is simply asking a patient to make their wants and desires in their last days known so that families (or doctors) aren't stuck making decisions that the patient wouldn't have wanted.

The sad situation you were stuck with, is the very thing that the Obama Administration is trying to prevent.

Furthermore, your advanced directive is your own decision. If your wish is to "be kept on the respirator until I die of sepsis from the inevitable hospital acquired infection", then that will be respected.

The point is, people won't have to try and guess what you wanted.

Why this is a bad thing, I still can't figure.

Now this is a proper response. Thank you.

I do disagree with your conclusions, however.

Government encouragements and recommendations often end up being compulsory.

So basically you oppose this because you feel "the government will fuck it up, regardless of how good the intentions"?

Thanks for at least being honest and not making up a bunch of bullshit about rationing that is nowhere to be found in this initiative.

I think the cognitive dissonance on this matter comes from the fact that most people won't experience ICU hospital care until they are at the end of their lives.

I don't think people with no prognosis for recovery would opt to be hooked to a ventilator, in a diaper, with a catheter in place, with the bed at a 45 degree angle so they don't get aspiration pneumonia (if they are lucky), and being turned every 12 hours to prevent bed sores until God decides to take them, be it a month or a year.

This wasn't an issue in previous years. People simply died and we made our peace with it. Now technology has allowed us to basically keep de-facto corpses artificially breathing.

If you want to go out that way, it's your prerogative. Put it in your Advanced Directive. I don't. Nothing scares me more than the notion of being demented beyond any cognition and on life support. What if I am trapped in a mental existence of suffering conjured up by my own mind because I had some sort of unresolved guilt about this or that and my Judeo-Christian upbringing has conditioned my mind to make me believe I am going to hell?

he's free to respond to you any way he wishes. as far as i'm concerned, you were answered the way a pissant with an overly inflated ego deserves to be answered. you're one of the most bitter people i've ever seen and i don't tolerate schoolyard bullies in real life or on the internet, little girl.

now run along and play.

This is one of the best examples of psychological projection ever posted on this board.

Absolutely Classic!

So the left sees no problem with a program being removed from a bill because it does not have the backing of enough congressmen/senators to pass, and then waiting 8 months and writing it back into the bill without any vote.

We'll have to make a note of this tactic. We can fix so much stuff this way.....

Politics are politics.

It doesn't change the fact that this is a good idea and doesn't even begin to approximate "death panels".

So the left sees no problem with a program being removed from a bill because it does not have the backing of enough congressmen/senators to pass, and then waiting 8 months and writing it back into the bill without any vote.

We'll have to make a note of this tactic. We can fix so much stuff this way.....

Politics are politics.

It doesn't change the fact that this is a good idea and doesn't even begin to approximate "death panels".

So even though this did not have the required votes it's a good Idea?

Politics must make it alright....

As someone on here once said, "It's bullshit and it's not good for you."

So basically you oppose this because you feel "the government will fuck it up, regardless of how good the intentions"?

Thanks for at least being honest and not making up a bunch of bullshit about rationing that is nowhere to be found in this initiative.

I think the cognitive dissonance on this matter comes from the fact that most people won't experience ICU hospital care until they are at the end of their lives.

I don't think people with no prognosis for recovery would opt to be hooked to a ventilator, in a diaper, with a catheter in place, with the bed at a 45 degree angle so they don't get aspiration pneumonia (if they are lucky), and being turned every 12 hours to prevent bed sores until God decides to take them, be it a month or a year.

This wasn't an issue in previous years. People simply died and we made our peace with it. Now technology has allowed us to basically keep de-facto corpses artificially breathing.

If you want to go out that way, it's your prerogative. Put it in your Advanced Directive. I don't. Nothing scares me more than the notion of being demented beyond any cognition and on life support. What if I am trapped in a mental existence of suffering conjured up by my own mind because I had some sort of unresolved guilt about this or that and my Judeo-Christian upbringing has conditioned my mind to make me believe I am going to hell?

Personally, I plan to have an AD. I just don't think the government should be in the business of paying doctors a bounty to recommend them while also controlling our health care system.

Berwick is making noise that we need to "do something" about the 80% of health care spending being upon Old & Sick people. One way to "do something" is to rig the system so that the government encourages doctors and families to put pressure on the elderly along the lines of "having a duty to die".

No thank you.

he's free to respond to you any way he wishes. as far as i'm concerned, you were answered the way a pissant with an overly inflated ego deserves to be answered. you're one of the most bitter people i've ever seen and i don't tolerate schoolyard bullies in real life or on the internet, little girl.

now run along and play.

This is one of the best examples of psychological projection ever posted on this board.

Absolutely Classic!

:rofl:

hack.

Politics are politics.

This gets to the real heart of the issue: regulators subverting Congress and making their own law outside of the rule of law.

now run along and play.

Absolutely Classic!

:rofl:

hack.

Wow. You're on a roll. This thread is a petri dish with examples of all your typical posts.

1. Vile personal insults
2. Psychological projection
3. Over use of smilies in lieu of an actual comment

Congratulations!

I love the hypocrisy of Republicans. It's so expected, so normal, so "them".

Remember when Sarah Palin endorsed April 16th 2008 as “Healthcare Decisions Day” for the state of Alaska? It was the same end of life counseling that Republicans now call euthanasia.

It's like the stimulus package. Republicans were against it, then show up at ribbon cuttings to "take credit" for it.

They have no ideas. All they have is nothing, except to take credit for what Democrats accomplish.

It really is pathetic. Seriously pathetic.

:lol:

And you think the shit we're going through is good compared to the last 30 years?

We're in deep shit and the Dems put us there and all you have to say is, "I bet you can't do any better"

We did better and now the Dems are doing their best to screw everything up....permanently.

Politics are politics.

Politics are the way things run in this country. Right or wrong. There is a reason I drove around Afghanistan in a HUMVEE with now doors and a blast blanket on the floor.

Was it ideal? No. Was it the reality of the matter? Yes.

The fact that this is a political issue doesn't change the fact that this is good medicine.

If you guys are smart, you will ensure your wishes for the end of your life are made known so people don't have to guess.

Just because something is personally smart for a person to do doesn't justify the government wielding power over the individual to do it.

Personally, I plan to have an AD. I just don't think the government should be in the business of paying doctors a bounty to recommend them while also controlling our health care system.

Berwick is making noise that we need to "do something" about the 80% of health care spending being upon Old & Sick people. One way to "do something" is to rig the system so that the government encourages doctors and families to put pressure on the elderly along the lines of "having a duty to die".

No thank you.

I can't even force people to get a flu shot. If people are that resistant to the concept of an AD, they can simply refuse to talk about it. It's not really that nefarious.

It's just compensating Doctors to talk about this issue with their patients. It's not really any different than the other "health maintenance" issues we'd ideally cover if we didn't have clinics jam packed with people with 12 problem list assessment and plans.

I didn't get into this business to try and hasten people's demise. Believe me, there are easier ways to make a buck than medicine. I did it to try and help people and relieve suffering. That includes at the end of life (especially the end of life, where people suffer the most).

So, if you guys see this as some sort of peer pressure program to force granny to put down that she wants to be unhooked on paper, I won't argue against your paranoia.

Why?

Because it's silly. Whether you make the decision or leave it to your kids, either way it will be made. You might as well do it on your own terms.

Once again, you aren't going to cheat death by ignoring it.

You are talking about the way it is now.

Under ObamaCare, there are dozens of agencies that will decide what is covered. It's quite clear that where this is headed is that certain procedures will be denied to people over a certain age.

It's happened in the UK.
It's happened in Canada.
It will happen here.

Read up on Dr. Berwick. His philosophical bias is apparent.

Last edited:
Just because something is personally smart for a person to do doesn't justify the government wielding power over the individual to do it.

They aren't. All this does is compensate the physician for their time in discussing the matter with the patient. It doesn't mandate the patient make any sort of decision. In the end, the patient always has the autonomy to say: "Y don't want to talk about that" (just as they have over anything to include their sexual history, etc).

Frankly, I am glad that someone is, for the first time, trying to bring the nation into the "end-of-life-care-issues" debate.

Welcome aboard. Those of us in Medicine have been discussing it since the Quinlin case.

I love the hypocrisy of Republicans. It's so expected, so normal, so "them".

Remember when Sarah Palin endorsed April 16th 2008 as “Healthcare Decisions Day” for the state of Alaska? It was the same end of life counseling that Republicans now call euthanasia.

It's like the stimulus package. Republicans were against it, then show up at ribbon cuttings to "take credit" for it.

They have no ideas. All they have is nothing, except to take credit for what Democrats accomplish.

It really is pathetic. Seriously pathetic.

:lol:

And you think the shit we're going through is good compared to the last 30 years?

We're in deep shit and the Dems put us there and all you have to say is, "I bet you can't do any better"

We did better and now the Dems are doing their best to screw everything up....permanently.

Both parties put us there. Unless you've developed dissociative amnesia and want to forget 2000-2006 when the GOP had complete control.

If that is the case, I won't try and begrudge you your delusions.

Under ObamaCare, there are dozens of agencies that will decide what is covered. It's quite clear that where this is headed is that certain procedures will be denied to people over a certain age.

It's happened in the UK.
It's happened in Canada.
It will happen here.

Again, I won't try and argue hypotheticals with you guys.

As it stands, this is a damn smart policy issue.

It's happened in the UK.
It's happened in Canada.
It will happen here.

And above all else; dirty politics and a stab in the back to those who fought against it.

It's happened in the UK.
It's happened in Canada.
It will happen here.

And above all else; dirty politics and a stab in the back to those who fought against it.

And who was that?

And who was that?

Most Republicans and some democrats. Since so much was done behind closed doors who knows? This is one thing I believe the people voted against last month. You know the secret deals and special deals for votes. All the back room meetings, Generally the dirty politics. But hey, I could be wrong, maybe there was another reason the republicans picked up over 60 seats......

Forum List

Back