Obama Returns to End-of-Life Plan That Caused Stir

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
well well

By ROBERT PEAR
Published: December 25, 2010

LinkedinDiggMixxMySpaceYahoo! BuzzPermalink.WASHINGTON — When a proposal to encourage end-of-life planning touched off a political storm over “death panels,” Democrats dropped it from legislation to overhaul the health care system. But the Obama administration will achieve the same goal by regulation, starting Jan. 1.

.Under the new policy, outlined in a Medicare regulation, the government will pay doctors who advise patients on options for end-of-life care, which may include advance directives to forgo aggressive life-sustaining treatment.

Congressional supporters of the new policy, though pleased, have kept quiet. They fear provoking another furor like the one in 2009 when Republicans seized on the idea of end-of-life counseling to argue that the Democrats’ bill would allow the government to cut off care for the critically ill.

read it all.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/26/us/politics/26death.html?_r=2&hp

Good!

When my time comes, I hope I'll be able to check out with a bit dignity.

I love the hypocrisy of Republicans. It's so expected, so normal, so "them".

Remember when Sarah Palin endorsed April 16th 2008 as “Healthcare Decisions Day” for the state of Alaska? It was the same end of life counseling that Republicans now call euthanasia.

It's like the stimulus package. Republicans were against it, then show up at ribbon cuttings to "take credit" for it.

They have no ideas. All they have is nothing, except to take credit for what Democrats accomplish.

It really is pathetic. Seriously pathetic.

Remember when Sarah Palin endorsed April 16th 2008 as “Healthcare Decisions Day” for the state of Alaska? It was the same end of life counseling that Republicans now call euthanasia.

It's like the stimulus package. Republicans were against it, then show up at ribbon cuttings to "take credit" for it.

They have no ideas. All they have is nothing, except to take credit for what Democrats accomplish.

Wtf are you babbling about

Stephanie quit while you are ahead, you have no clue what you are talking about. ;)

First off this programs would be good, especially now that baby boomers are starting to get dementia and alzheimers. These doctors will only be ADVISING on what a patient should do when they are close to death, so maybe they don't waste large amounts of money on treatments that will not help, or could speed up the death process.

The doctors were not be compensated before. ;)
When someone is in the last year of their life, they can have more than one care meeting. If the doctor can help the family come to the conclusion that their mother doesn't need chemo, because she is going to die from dementia anyways, and the doctor then comes up with a directive for their end of life care, they should be compensated for their work.

Stephanie quit while you are ahead, you have no clue what you are talking about. ;)

First off this programs would be good, especially now that baby boomers are starting to get dementia and alzheimers. These doctors will only be ADVISING on what a patient should do when they are close to death, so maybe they don't waste large amounts of money on treatments that will not help, or could speed up the death process.

:lol::eusa_whistle:

Wtf are you babbling about

Do a search on: Sarah Palin endorsed April 16th 2008 as “Healthcare Decisions Day”

Google

You guys sit in front of a computer, use it!!!!

NOTE: This is not copyrighted material. This is out of Sarah Palin's document "Health Care Decisions Day" which she signed when she was governor of Alaska.

WHEREAS, Healthcare Decisions Day is designed to raise public awareness of the need to plan ahead for healthcare decisions, related to end of life care and medical decision-making whenever patients are unable to speak for themselves and to encourage the specific use of advance directives to communicate these important healthcare decisions.

WHEREAS, one of the principal goals of Healthcare Decisions Day is to encourage hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, continuing care retirement communities, and hospices to participate in a statewide effort to provide clear and consistent information to the public about advance directives, as well as to encourage medical professionals and lawyers to volunteer their time and efforts to improve public knowledge and increase the number of Alaska’s citizens with advance directives.

WHEREAS, the Foundation for End of Life Care in Juneau, Alaska, and other organizations throughout the United States have endorsed this event and are committed to educating the public about the importance of discussing healthcare choices and executing advance directives.
http://thinkprogress.org/2009/08/13/palin-deathpanel-flipflop/ If you copy and paste, you link-Meister

You are an idiot.

I have seen three people with END STAGE dementia die within weeks of having hip replacements. I have also seen a lady receive chemo for breast cancer, when she was in the last stages of dementia, and couldn't even remember she had received chemo or that she had breast cancer by the time she got home from the appointment. Like I said, you have no clue what you are talking about.
One of the ladies who received a hip replacement, died a week later. She had end stage dementia and cogestive heart failure. The place I used to work for, turned the doctor in for medicare fraud. The doctor should have proved end of life counceling for her and her and her family, instead of performing a hip replacement.
This bill also does not mean they cannot decide to receive certain care, it just means the doctor will explain their options, and what the proper plan should be.

"WHEREAS, the Foundation for End of Life Care in Juneau, Alaska, and other organizations throughout the United States have endorsed this event and are committed to educating the public about the importance of discussing healthcare choices and executing advance directives."

Doesn't sound exactly like (and this is from memory so I could get a few words wrong)

"Maybe Grandma doesn't need a pacemaker or an operation, maybe she only needs a pill."

"WHEREAS, the Foundation for End of Life Care in Juneau, Alaska, and other organizations throughout the United States have endorsed this event and are committed to educating the public about the importance of discussing healthcare choices and executing advance directives."

Doesn't sound exactly like (and this is from memory so I could get a few words wrong)

"Maybe Grandma doesn't need a pacemaker or an operation, maybe she only needs a pill."

If grandma is going to die in six months anyways, and is already on hospice, she probably only needs a pill. This plan, doesn't mean she can't get a pacemaker if she wants one. It just means the doctor will inform her of her options, and what would be her best option.

You are an idiot.

I have seen three people with END STAGE dementia die within weeks of having hip replacements. I have also seen a lady receive chemo for breast cancer, when she was in the last stages of dementia, and couldn't even remember she had received chemo or that she had breast cancer by the time she got home from the appointment. Like I said, you have no clue what you are talking about.
One of the ladies who received a hip replacement, died a week later. She had end stage dementia and cogestive heart failure. The place I used to work for, turned the doctor in for medicare fraud. The doctor should have proved end of life counceling for her and her and her family, instead of performing a hip replacement.
This bill also does not mean they cannot decide to receive certain care, it just means the doctor will explain their options, and what the proper plan should be.

I don't give a shit about your sob stories. I watched My mother die last year and had to make decisions about her. And guess what, we did it all WITHOUT the stinking Guberment sticking their friggen noses in it.
now you are dismissed.:eusa_hand:

You are an idiot.

I don't give a shit about your sob stories. I watched My mother die last year and had to make decisions about her. And guess what, we did it all WITHOUT the stinking Guberment sticking their friggen noses in it.

You are a moron.
The government wouldn't have anything to do with it, they would just be compensating the doctor for work he will do. If the person is on medicare, he will be compensated for work that doctors already do. Get a clue.

My Father had a living will. He insisted that he was not to be a burden to any of us and that he was to have no artificial prolonged life. When he decided not to eat (he was conscious and speaking) And the Hospital wanted to place him on life support and force feed him through a tube, we moved him from the Hospital to a Hospice. A week later he was eating and doing so much better we had to move him back to a full service assisted living. He died a week later from a blood clot. But the Government had no bearing on what actions we took or the decisions he had earlier made.

You are an idiot.

You are a moron.
The government wouldn't have anything to do with it, they would just be compensating the doctor for work he will do. If the person is on medicare, he will be compensated for work that doctors already do. Get a clue.

WTF? speaking of Morons. go spew your crap at someone else.

By the way Stephanie, I have many sob stories(shows how much you care), because I have actually provided end of life care for many people, and work in the health care field. Like I said, you have no clue what you are talking about.

Last edited:

You are a moron.

WTF? speaking of Morons. go spew your crap at someone else.
Like I said,you have no idea what you are talking about.

By the way Stephanie, I have many sob stories(shows how much you are), because I have actually provided end of life care for many people, and work in the health care field. Like I said, you have no clue what you are talking about.

you know what, you are an idiot.
go back and READ the article to find out wtf it is about.

Forum List

Back