Obama/Reagan -- a study...

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
It has been said that Obama studied the Reagan handbook and admired Reagans skill at governing---some would call it manipulating. hmmmm,

what did Reagan do? I say he got blue collar Dems and others to vote identity over self-interest. What is Obama doing...copying Reagan? I say yes, Obama is getting many a progressive and liberal and others to vote/go along with a sense of belonging---identity--- over self-interest.

:eusa_whistle:

• Thanks
Reactions: del
It has been said that Obama studied the Reagan handbook and admired Reagans skill at governing---some would call it manipulating. hmmmm,

what did Reagan do? I say he got blue collar Dems and others to vote identity over self-interest. What is Obama doing...copying Reagan? I say yes, Obama is getting many a progressive and liberal and others to vote/go along with a sense of belonging---identity--- over self-interest.

What he did, when it came to "the vote", was dazzle 'em with bullshit. Anyone of them who was actually challenged to answer what changes he would actually make and why they were necessary, and how they would be made, were speechless....

Obama is much brighter than Reagan. Reagan was a figurehead, a script reader, very lazy and had no ideas. He was much more like your other party leader, Rush Limbaugh.

Obama is substantive, thoughtful, very smart, and has a lot of energy. He is his own man and unique so quit trying to take credit for him.

The job of ALL pols is to get enough people to vote against their interests.

The job of ALL pols now is to get enough people to vote to keep the delusion of political choice going.

And it's working, too.

Obama is much brighter than Reagan. Reagan was a figurehead, a script reader, very lazy and had no ideas. He was much more like your other party leader, Rush Limbaugh.

Obama is substantive, thoughtful, very smart, and has a lot of energy. He is his own man and unique so quit trying to take credit for him.

How much more bullshit could you put in one very small post?

It is far too early to compare Obama to Reagan. Reagan's long list of accomplishment is fact - Obama has yet to record anything substantive beyond being our first half-black president. He might well do so, but as of yet, while his administration has been big on media promoted flash, there remains real work to either be done, or messed up...

What Obama currently lacks is Reagan's natural self-assurance. Obama is trying very hard to fit into the suit of President of the United States, but you can see him working at it. With Reagan, it appeared effortless. This is likely due to the vast years of experience Reagan had over Obama when taking the job. Obama has very little governing experience, Reagan had a number of years as governor, and many more as a new voice of American conservatism prior to taking his presidential oath of office.

While a common ploy for the intellectually disinterested to discredit Reagan as "unintelligent", the actual record, again, shows a far different reality. Reagan's more recently published book of letters shows a mind capable of grasping complex issues and devolving them into simple and powerful principle. This was one of his greatest strengths as a leader. Reagan contributed greatly to his speeches, often doing drastic revisions, or inserting a critical line that altered the entire scope of the dialogue.

Aram Bakshian Jr wrote of Reagan, "He was - God bless him, a very intelligent man rather than a not very bright intellectual. He had vision, instinct, and an innate sense of right and wrong, and he knew what could or could not be accomplished."

Therein one finds the point of contention with so many "intellectuals", those hordes of learned minds that know so very little. Reagan had a natural intelligence not based upon the self important posturing of the "bright intellectual" but that of an experienced and self- assured American man. In that sense, Reagan was what those bright intellectuals could never be - confident, and it annoyed them to no end, particularly those of the liberal slant.

Reagan's impact upon the modern American presidency is indisputable. He continues to rank among the top presidents of history, and among the top few of the 20th Century. Obama would do well indeed to learn from Reagan's example - though he might not be up to the task, as no other president since Reagan has been able to move so effortlessly yet effectively, within the confines of the job of President of the United.

So I say good luck to President Obama.

And I say once again, thank you to President Reagan...

Last edited:

How much more bullshit could you put in one very small post?

Not sure, I'm very efficient.. :lol:

Everything I posted, I believe.

What you 'believe' is irrelevant... for you posted no fact whatsoever... sounds just like the bullshit claims of Obama being "the President with the highest IQ ever" or that W Bush had the lowest IQ ever...

And as Sinatra stated... Reagan's accomplishments are a record of fact. And to say the man had no ideas is about as preposterous as anything I have ever seen written on this board, and that is saying a lot

What you 'believe' is irrelevant... for you posted no fact whatsoever... sounds just like the bullshit claims of Obama being "the President with the highest IQ ever" or that W Bush had the lowest IQ ever...

And as Sinatra stated... Reagan's accomplishments are a record of fact. And to say the man had no ideas is about as preposterous as anything I have ever seen written on this board, and that is saying a lot

Here's a quick review of the Reagan years, links to factual info at the site:

Ronald Reagan - The Bonzo Years

For those of us who lived (and paid attention) during the Reagan years, life was interesting. What would that wacky, happy guy say or do next? Would he embarrass the country by falling asleep at an international summit? Would he show us some more pie charts while increasing the national debt? Would he allow junk bond kings to destroy entire communities while downsizing fever ruined countless lives?

All this and more. Every day was a new experience, a new challenge to see just how much the American public would take. Of course, the answer (as provided by his next two successors) is: just about anything. Not to pick on the ol' Gipper, but the clips below are a matter of public record. Take a walk down memory lane and remind yourself of why future historians will look back on the Reagan Error and say: "Where was the rest of him?"

Some people may find the following funny, others may find it painful. As there's quite a bit of stuff here, please feel free to use the following links to jump to the year of your choice. Listed are just a couple of "highlights" from each year.

Ronald Reagan - The Bonzo President

Reagan worship is misplaced, imo. You all keep saying we worship Obama so much, it isn't that as much as we're attempting to stop you all from comparing any of yours to ours and actually feeling superior.

Like Reagan, Obama saw a void that had developed in Middle America. Like Reagan who recognized that what it meant to be American was slipping because of Nixon's shame and Carter's weak attempts to fix it, I think Obama is trying to jolt us back to reality by bringing to the fore the potential disaster if this country doesn't start paying attention to the basic needs of its middle class. Reagan's goal was renewed energy in patriotism; Obama's is renewed energy in "We The People."

Both ushered in tremendous changes in the direction of the country based on what was (is) needed for the time.

For those of us who lived (and paid attention) during the Reagan years, life was interesting. What would that wacky, happy guy say or do next? Would he embarrass the country by falling asleep at an international summit? Would he show us some more pie charts while increasing the national debt? Would he allow junk bond kings to destroy entire communities while downsizing fever ruined countless lives?

All this and more. Every day was a new experience, a new challenge to see just how much the American public would take. Of course, the answer (as provided by his next two successors) is: just about anything. Not to pick on the ol' Gipper, but the clips below are a matter of public record. Take a walk down memory lane and remind yourself of why future historians will look back on the Reagan Error and say: "Where was the rest of him?"

Some people may find the following funny, others may find it painful. As there's quite a bit of stuff here, please feel free to use the following links to jump to the year of your choice. Listed are just a couple of "highlights" from each year.

Reagan worship is misplaced, imo. You all keep saying we worship Obama so much, it isn't that as much as we're attempting to stop you all from comparing any of yours to ours and actually feeling superior.

A little home made amateur whack-job site... priceless

Goes to show why you have your 'belief' in things that are not based in fact

Nobody is saying to worship Reagan... I'm not even saying that you as a far lefty should 'like' his accomplishments... but he has a long list of actual accomplishments, and to say otherwise simply points out extreme partisanship

Not being a "Reagan worshipper", it's rather amusing to first read link entitled "The Bonzo President", as if it's to be taken seriously. Being a sport, though, I checked it out. The first was was worth a LOL.

1981 The Reagan Cabinet is installed, but it's cracked

You didn't really want to refer us to a comparison of cracked cabinets, did you?

Nobody is saying to worship Reagan... I'm not even saying that you as a far lefty should 'like' his accomplishments... but he has a long list of actual accomplishments, and to say otherwise simply points out extreme partisanship

That site has been there for at least 10 years. It is factual, but way to minimize anything that makes you uncomfortable.

Good you're not saying to worship Reagan, I'm not saying to worship Obama either but it always seems to bother you on the Right whenever Obama is mentioned at all.

Reagan began the destruction of the middle class, and he started the militaristic hubris that lead to Iraq. For that and for his inept tax policies which made us a debtor nation, I rank him the worst president in modern times. Bush Jr was not possible without Reagan. Even S&L happened under his watch, the start and a key example of what happens when regulation is weakened and greed is the motivator.

Ronald Reagan's Legacy
Firedoglake » Newsflash: Ronald Reagan Raised Taxes (You Idiots)

I believe the most salient point in this little thread, is that the scope and import of the Reagan accomplishments are indisputable. He was, as one historian somewhat recently put it, "The last great gentleman president."

Whether or not Obama will rise to the level of accomplishment of Reagan remains to be seen - he is far unproven to this point to make such a call.

That site has been there for at least 10 years. It is factual, but way to minimize anything that makes you uncomfortable.

Good you're not saying to worship Reagan, I'm not saying to worship Obama either but it always seems to bother you on the Right whenever Obama is mentioned at all.

The Onion has been there for over 10 years too... does not make it a credible source of information either... your little source is nothing more than bullshit

As stated.. .it is IRREFUTABLE the long list of accomplishments that Reagan has had... and your 'belief' is not based on facts, rather some uber-partisan bullshit...

Reagan gave us supply side economics (Reaganomics-as if they were really his idea)!!!!!

Yay!!!!!!!!........Yes this is sarcasm!!!

Reagan gave us supply side economics (Reaganomics-as if they were really his idea)!!!!!

Yay!!!!!!!!........Yes this is sarcasm!!!

Yeah, trickle down which stopped trickling virtually minutes after "Reagan" dreamed it up.

Reagan was a script reader, that is it.

Then we should hear no argument from you when someone else simply states that Obama is nothing more than a teleprompter reader.... and the the stimulus stopped stimulating anything right after Obama dreamed it up and ensured there was no accountability for the pork within the plan

Forum List

Back