My solution to the Abortion, Gay Marriage and Birth Right Argument

Discussion in 'Politics' started by GHook93, Apr 23, 2009.

1. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,930
    I say create the 28th amendment ruling on it. Obviously my liberal up bringing is coming out (at least for gay marriage and abortion), but I think my amendment is a good conpromise on abortion, yes I am taking a far swing left on gay marriage and yes I see a huge problem with the birth right clause of the 14th amendment (its legislative intent was to make sure the newly freed slaves and their children were not denied citizenship, not to reward the children of fugitives)!

Note: No I am not sending it to congress so no asshole comments please!

Amendment XXVIII
    Abortion, Marriage and Citizenship Amendment

Section 1: First trimester - No State or Federal Law can infringe on a women's right to an abortion during the 1st trimester.
    Second trimester - Its up to the State to decide whether to allow or to disallow abortion in the 2nd trimester. Exceptions to the prohibition of abortion in the 2nd trimester are cases of rape, incest or the mother's life is in danger.
    Third Trimester - Abortion in the 3rd trimester is illegal in all cases, unless one of the prescribed exceptions is present. Exceptions to the prohibition on abortion in the 3rd trimester are cases of incest or the mother's life is in danger.
    Father's rights and minor's parental consent are left to the State to decide on.

Section 2: Marriage is legal union between two consenting adults. The right for two consenting adults to marry may not be infringed on by the Federal or State government. Age of consent is to be determined by the State.

Section 3: All persons naturalized through means prescribed by Federal immigration and naturalization laws and all children born in the US in which at least one NATURAL parent is a US citizen of legal and proper standing are US citizens.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  2. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    There's a compromise there? I see no compromise, I see your left-wing agenda being pushed into a permanent addition of our Constitution, and further denying states' rights.

No thanks.

3. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,428
    That's funny... because I was thinking "spousal consent, my butt". ;)

4. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,930
    Amendment X

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the constitution nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectfully or to the people."

Presenting an amendment on gay marriage and abortion infringes on the 10th amendment, when ratified constitutional amendment is precisely what the 10th amendment says takes away the rights of the state to legislate on the issue?:confused: Please explain!

5. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,930
    I am also against spousal consent, since that is a slippery slope that I don't want to go down and it creates too much a clusterfuck, however, I think its something for the States to decide.

6. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    Also, if the government can decide that a woman can have an abortion with the father's consent, can it also decide that the father doesn't have to pay child support if he doesn't want the child?

7. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,930
    How is it not a compromise? Left wingers want abortion legal all the way to the bitter end of pregnancy. Right wingers do not want abortion legal even before the egg and the sperm meet. Moderates mostly want State rights.
    Satisfy the left wingers - abortion is legal in the 1st trimester, in which the fetus is in its infancy stage.
    Satisfy the right-wingers - late term abortion is criminalized and 2nd trimester can also be criminalized.
    Satisfy the moderates on the issue. The State has the right on the 2nd trimester, father's rights and minor consent!

I guess in your opinion a compromise is only when each and everything goes entirely your way!

8. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    I don't know many left wingers should support abortion past the first trimester. Sorry.

And there is zero compromise on the gay marriage portion of this proposed amendment. I'm not against gay marriage, but you can't call a compromise a compromise when it isn't one.

9. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,930
    Say an amendment to the constitution was passed that criminalized all abortion and made marriage exclusively between a man and a women. I won't like or agree with it, but I won't say it went against the 10th amendment. Rather I would say the activist who got the constitutional amendment went about it the right way.

Don't think you realize how hard it is to pass a constitional amendment.

Article V
    "2/3 of both the Houses (the House and Senate) shall be necessary, to propose Amendments to this Constitution, or the Application of the legislators of 2/3 of the several States, shall call for a (Constitutional) convention for proposing Amendments..."

IOW: 2/3 of the house and senate and a Presidential approval, or
    2/3 of the States calling for a constitutional convention. That would be a first since there has only ever been one constitutional convention in our great country's history!

10. ItsFairmont

ItsFairmont Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I think abortion should be illegal unless there is danger to the mother, a case of rape, or incest. Abortion for convenience is immoral.

Marriage is between a man and a woman.

Give one vote for each generation you have that was a U.S. citizen. I have SEVEN ancestors on the Mayflower Compact.