Obama pushes for higher fuel efficiency standards

Gosh, Obama wants to control population, Obama wants the government to control the auto and banking industries....

But hey, he's no liberal! He's a centrist!

Two years of this shit and Congress is ours.

Two more years of blather like that, and we will have a 70 Dem Senate.

Gosh, Obama wants to control population, Obama wants the government to control the auto and banking industries....

But hey, he's no liberal! He's a centrist!

Two years of this shit and Congress is ours.

Be careful what you wish for! The economy is inevitably going to upswing during Obama's 1st terms! You say how with adding $1.5 Trillion to the deficit that was already at a record deficit. The Bank, fiancial and real estate sector will be through the mortgage meltdown. The subprime loan have already been worked through the system. Right now and throughout the year we will see the conventional (good credit) ARMs and stated loans be worked through the system. 2009 will be a long year, by the middle of 2010 you will start to see the meltdown nearly finish and an upswing on lending. Gas price will continue to decrease with more fuel efficient cars and Obama's pledge to put a harder crunch on the auto industry. A dollar being low is not always a bad thing! It increases exports, why do you think China artifically keeps its currency low? The cost of our exports are less even at the same price points. Corporations are downsizing and closing locations now and starting to squeeze to their minimums. When the banks start lending again, then people will start spending and corporations will start to open more locations and start hiring again. Obama will get the credit unjustificably, since he will be the receiptant of natural swing in the economy!

2010 you will see more Democrats elected to the house, senate and state governors, because the stench of Bush will still be on people's minds and he will still take the blame.

By 2012, you will see probably 75%+ D in the House, Senate and State governors. You will see a majority in the Supreme Court and D in the White House. With all that expect some RADICAL changes including the 2nd constitutional convention!

Does anyone else remember when cars used to get 35 mph or possibly better and that was normal? I seem to remember either a truck or suv that was getting close to 50 mph. What happened?

I believe it's called a carborator.

That's a great idea.

Gas guzzlers embolden the terrorists.

You sound like a Neoconservative.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

The greatest security problem this country faces is our dependence on foreign oil. Every president since Jimmy Carter has ignored it. We need to drive electric cars and natural gas trucks and screw the Arabs.

In terms of our consumption there is a big difference between dependance on foreign oil and ARAB foreign oil. But yeah I agree with the premise.

You sound like a Neoconservative.

The greatest security problem this country faces is our dependence on foreign oil. Every president since Jimmy Carter has ignored it. We need to drive electric cars and natural gas trucks and screw the Arabs.

In terms of our consumption there is a big difference between dependance on foreign oil and ARAB foreign oil. But yeah I agree with the premise.

Right we should cut our dependance on oil from anywhere in the end its better for us anyways. We can start being a supplier too so money can flow into our pockets.

Right we should cut our dependance on oil from anywhere in the end its better for us anyways. We can start being a supplier too so money can flow into our pockets.

No, we cannot be a supplier. Oil production peaked here in the US in 1970, just as Hubert, a petroleum geologist, predicted in 1948. We have 3% of the worlds easily recoverable oil, and that includes Alaska, and use 25% of the produced in the world. While we have huge deposites of oil shale, the refining of that shale requires vast amounts of energy and water.
In an area notoriously lacking in extra water.

Time for realism. We are rich in wind, ocean current, solar, geothermal, and wave power. All we need to do is build the grid for it, Build the vehicles to run on it, and let some rather unnice people drink their oil.

I believe in some of what you say o.r. but, a lot of this will be tied up in courts by the enviromentalists for years at this scale. I'm talking solar, and I'm talking wind. I never heard of ocean energy...it sounds like it would be expensive. We do need to gradually wean ourselves from oil, but this will take years without wrecking the economy. We do need to drill what we have, but also go forward with alternative energy. It's not an easy issue to solve on this one.

No, we cannot be a supplier. Oil production peaked here in the US in 1970, just as Hubert, a petroleum geologist, predicted in 1948. We have 3% of the worlds easily recoverable oil, and that includes Alaska, and use 25% of the produced in the world. While we have huge deposites of oil shale, the refining of that shale requires vast amounts of energy and water.
In an area notoriously lacking in extra water.

Time for realism. We are rich in wind, ocean current, solar, geothermal, and wave power. All we need to do is build the grid for it, Build the vehicles to run on it, and let some rather unnice people drink their oil.

Well maybe not with shale but with natural gas and coal. So do you think with all of this we cannot be come a net supplier we already supply alot of our coal to China(primary) and others but its price is not high enough to help the trade imbalance.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back