Obama proposes $1B for science, math teachers

Not too long ago, we had several occasions in several topics where some people screamed that the federal government does not pay for teachers or cops or firefighters.

I can't help but wonder what mind trick their eyes play on them when a topic title that says, " Obama proposes $1B for science, math teachers" pops up on this forum.

Does it look like a blank space? Or do they see, "Confirmed: Obama born in Kenya!" ? When they see a topic that says, " Obama proposes $1B for science, math teachers", do they instantly put the topic starter on Ignore?

Perhaps we should get to the root of the education problem in America and spend a billion bucks studying dumbshits and what makes them tick.

Last edited:
We can improve our education by eliminating the US Department of Education and criminalizing the UFT

There is a disconnect between what we have for an education system and what we need for an education system.

www . mckinsey . com
/insights/mgi/research/technology_and_innovation/big_data_the_next_frontier_for_innovation

(I can't post url's until after 15 posts so I had to hack the url. Some assembly required in other words.)

yep, kind of like health care................look at what we ended up with. O.M.G.

Not sure which parallel you're referring to. Please expand.

A program that would "reward" teachers with an extra twenty grand is begging for disaster. That kind of moola ensures the competition will be strictly political and not merit-based. Many a principal is going to get love long time from the contestants.

Perhaps we should do away with basket weaving and advanced movie watching and start teaching Critical Thinking courses. Based on the posts I see on this forum, our country is in desperate need of such classes.

Then why is the president proposing we spend a billion dollars on math and science teachers?? Isn't this what this thread is about?? :confused:

I think you're missing my point. While I support investing in education, I think this is the wrong investment at the wrong time. We have bigger problems.

Something I'd be more interested in seeing is funding for adult job training, to help put Americans to work in areas that are looking for help, especially in things like health care.

Completely agree. Any changes to Public Education will take time and we'd get more bang for the buck focusing on Adult Training right now.

As an adult you are the only one responsible for your improvement, education or whatever...

State or local funded education of minors, I don't think you will get any opposition to.. but any government funding of adult education or payment for education (or loans for education) is complete bullshit.. you want something as an adult, sacrifice, earn, and pay for it yourself.. no matter how 'hard' you think it is to do so

Last edited:
I'm still waiting to hear from someone how firing bad teachers and getting rid of unions will lead to more teachers and decreased class sizes.

Class sizes are smaller than they have ever been and the student:teacher ratio has never been lower and our students are still behind other countries.

Factually incorrect.

They bottomed out around 2008, but that's only if you count the special needs classes, which typically have very small class sizes. Since then, they have been on the rise as teachers are being laid off due to budget cuts.

are u saying punishing bad teachers will not bring in new teachers? really? so u dont want to fire bad teachers? this is like saying dont do anything to agitate our enemies, what? our enemies are already agitated for christ sake.

I never said we should not fire bad teachers. Nice try at putting words in my mouth.

We should absolutely get rid of bad teachers. But just because we do, does not mean some young person is going to jump at that job opportunity. Teachers across the country get paid shit and get treated worse. I've never known a time when so many people hate teachers. Why would someone subject themselves to that level of hate without thinking they could get some reward for doing well?

because they LOVE the benefits and i dont know where u are seeing this but so many libs want to be teachers here in NJ becas u cant be fired.

And i did not put words in ur mouth, read and try to comprehend firing someone is a form of punishment, ive never been fired but seeing some being fired ive never heard the words, im not punishing u for firing u but i have to compliment u another way? Sorry firing is a form of punishment. the ulitimate form. Ive never seen anyone fired as a way of being promoted either.

Should any other occupation not punish workers in fear of not getting new workers?

wait a freaking second...do you have statistics and testimonials to back that assertion up? or are you just projecting your own feelings? teachers teach because it's a noble profession, they have an aptitude for it, they are intelligent and want to pass that knowledge on to the next generation, hell....maybe it's even the summers off that attracts them.....but to assign the idea that they want to be teachers because they can't be fired as their motivation is dubious at best.

but hey....you're apparently a conservative... prejudice and vitriol replaces fact all the time with you guys.

BTW I'd love to know why you seem to think we dont have enough teachers. Every state I've lived with is oversaturated with teachers. Many are trained as teachers and can't find employment.

I also don't see how larger class sizes make it more difficult to teach. Some of my best teachers in school were in large classes. Guess what, the teacher didnt have any problem with making the subjects interesting to the students (which was precisely why they had so many students trying to get into those classes).

The problem isnt the need for more teachers. The problem is we need teachers who actually care more about the students and teaching them then they care about their salary and benefits and fixing our broken culture so that students actually want to learn. You can do that without spending another dime of money from the Federal Government.

what you want is walmart education...not worry about salaries and benefits? I suppose you think they should go spend four years in college...work towards their Master's. degree after that and, oh....btw...go apply for food stamp and a Medicaid card to supplement.

I think you're missing my point. While I support investing in education, I think this is the wrong investment at the wrong time. We have bigger problems.

Something I'd be more interested in seeing is funding for adult job training, to help put Americans to work in areas that are looking for help, especially in things like health care.

Completely agree. Any changes to Public Education will take time and we'd get more bang for the buck focusing on Adult Training right now.

As an adult you are the only one responsible for your improvement, education or whatever...

State or local funded education of minors, I don't think you will get any opposition to.. but any government funding of adult education or payment for education (or loans for education) is complete bullshit.. you want something as an adult, sacrifice, earn, and pay for it yourself.. no matter how 'hard' you think it is to do so

Single mom with two kids who is on food stamps and welfare, but wants to get a career and move up but needs some help, your advice is "Fuck you. Work harder. Oh, and we're cutting your food stamps and welfare."

Personally feelings aside of how large an ass you are, this is economically speaking, the dumbest approach you could possibly take.

I'm still waiting to hear from someone how firing bad teachers and getting rid of unions will lead to more teachers and decreased class sizes.

Class sizes are smaller than they have ever been and the student:teacher ratio has never been lower and our students are still behind other countries.

Factually incorrect.

They bottomed out around 2008, but that's only if you count the special needs classes, which typically have very small class sizes. Since then, they have been on the rise as teachers are being laid off due to budget cuts.

Class size is still not as big of an issue as you think in fact some of the countries that are kicking our ass in student performance have some of the largest class sizes in the world.

I never said we should not fire bad teachers. Nice try at putting words in my mouth.

We should absolutely get rid of bad teachers. But just because we do, does not mean some young person is going to jump at that job opportunity. Teachers across the country get paid shit and get treated worse. I've never known a time when so many people hate teachers. Why would someone subject themselves to that level of hate without thinking they could get some reward for doing well?

because they LOVE the benefits and i dont know where u are seeing this but so many libs want to be teachers here in NJ becas u cant be fired.

And i did not put words in ur mouth, read and try to comprehend firing someone is a form of punishment, ive never been fired but seeing some being fired ive never heard the words, im not punishing u for firing u but i have to compliment u another way? Sorry firing is a form of punishment. the ulitimate form. Ive never seen anyone fired as a way of being promoted either.

Should any other occupation not punish workers in fear of not getting new workers?

wait a freaking second...do you have statistics and testimonials to back that assertion up? or are you just projecting your own feelings? teachers teach because it's a noble profession, they have an aptitude for it, they are intelligent and want to pass that knowledge on to the next generation, hell....maybe it's even the summers off that attracts them.....but to assign the idea that they want to be teachers because they can't be fired as their motivation is dubious at best.

but hey....you're apparently a conservative... prejudice and vitriol replaces fact all the time with you guys.

no i have something better, s traight from their freaking mouths, look up the programs and schools that give out teaching education or certs they are thru the roof. Young adults who are just getting into college know teachers are hard to fire, tenure is now at 3 years and the benefits of not working summer, holidays, weekends or anything other days off attrachs a lot of people.

had many a friends who went that route because they figured it was eaiser and guaranteed. for some they were right, for others not so much.

China graduates more science students that we graduate students so of course. We have hundreds of thousands of jobs we cannot fill because we don't educate people in the technical fields.

The rw's will be against this but just let some rich asshole suggest firing adults and putting kids to work cleaning bathrooms and they're all for it.

Keep China green - Vote Republican.

Factually incorrect.

Class size is still not as big of an issue as you think in fact some of the countries that are kicking our ass in student performance have some of the largest class sizes in the world.

Do they teach to the test?

I know two teachers who both have enormous classes and no teacher's assistants. The kids are a homogenized mix of everything from gifted to troubled. That's not just a recipe for disaster. Its also impossible for one person to control.

Class size is definitely an issue.

Factually incorrect.

True. But they are also culturally different. Many Asian countries have an emphasis on the family and the community which makes handling a larger class size easier. Here in the states, the emphasis these days is on the individual above all else. This makes it harder to handle a group.

Forum List

Back