Obama Press Conference Review

The only thing that I thought could be construed as encouraging is his claim that the pork and earmarks have been cut out of the bill. The downside is that is open to a lot of interpretation. One person's pork is another's.....uh....well you get the idea.

As someone noted he does come off as frustrated. Despite his early claims of bi-partisanship, it seems he has taken a tone of 'we need this done now and my way' approach.

a rose by any other name...

"OBAMA: "I know that there are a lot of folks out there who've been saying, 'Oh, this is pork, and this is money that's going to be wasted,' and et cetera, et cetera. Understand, this bill does not have a single earmark in it, which is unprecedented for a bill of this size. ... There aren't individual pork projects that members of Congress are putting into this bill."

THE FACTS: There are no "earmarks," as they are usually defined, inserted by lawmakers in the bill. Still, some of the projects bear the prime characteristics of pork - tailored to benefit specific interests or to have thinly disguised links to local projects.

For example, the latest version contains $2 billion for a clean-coal power plant with specifications matching one in Mattoon, Ill., $10 million for urban canals, $2 billion for manufacturing advanced batteries for hybrid cars, and $255 million for a polar icebreaker and other "priority procurements" by the Coast Guard.

Obama told his Elkhart audience that Indiana will benefit from work on "roads like U.S. 31 here in Indiana that Hoosiers count on." He added: "And I know that a new overpass downtown would make a big difference for businesses and families right here in Elkhart."

U.S. 31 is a north-south highway serving South Bend, 15 miles from Elkhart in the northern part of the state."

My Way News - FACT CHECK: Obama has it both ways on pork

So what? If any of it is earmarked for my state, hallelujah. No pork here. We're lucky if we get beans.

The only thing that I thought could be construed as encouraging is his claim that the pork and earmarks have been cut out of the bill. The downside is that is open to a lot of interpretation. One person's pork is another's.....uh....well you get the idea.

As someone noted he does come off as frustrated. Despite his early claims of bi-partisanship, it seems he has taken a tone of 'we need this done now and my way' approach.

a rose by any other name...

"OBAMA: "I know that there are a lot of folks out there who've been saying, 'Oh, this is pork, and this is money that's going to be wasted,' and et cetera, et cetera. Understand, this bill does not have a single earmark in it, which is unprecedented for a bill of this size. ... There aren't individual pork projects that members of Congress are putting into this bill."

THE FACTS: There are no "earmarks," as they are usually defined, inserted by lawmakers in the bill. Still, some of the projects bear the prime characteristics of pork - tailored to benefit specific interests or to have thinly disguised links to local projects.

For example, the latest version contains $2 billion for a clean-coal power plant with specifications matching one in Mattoon, Ill., $10 million for urban canals, $2 billion for manufacturing advanced batteries for hybrid cars, and $255 million for a polar icebreaker and other "priority procurements" by the Coast Guard.

Obama told his Elkhart audience that Indiana will benefit from work on "roads like U.S. 31 here in Indiana that Hoosiers count on." He added: "And I know that a new overpass downtown would make a big difference for businesses and families right here in Elkhart."

U.S. 31 is a north-south highway serving South Bend, 15 miles from Elkhart in the northern part of the state."

My Way News - FACT CHECK: Obama has it both ways on pork
loved this line by Dick Morris, "so its not bacon, it's ham"

:lol:

"More than 90% of the jobs created by this plan will be in the private sector. These will not be make-work jobs, but jobs doing the work that America desperately needs done. Jobs rebuilding our crumbling roads and bridges, and repairing our dangerously deficient dams and levees so that we don’t face another Katrina. They will be jobs building the wind turbines and solar panels and fuel-efficient cars that will lower our dependence on foreign oil, and modernizing a costly health care system that will save us billions of dollars and countless lives. They’ll be jobs creating 21st century classrooms, libraries, and labs for millions of children across America. And they’ll be the jobs of firefighters, teachers, and police officers that would otherwise be eliminated if we do not provide states with some relief.

My administration inherited a deficit of over $1 trillion, but because we also inherited the most profound economic emergency since the Great Depression, doing too little or nothing at all will result in an even greater deficit of jobs, incomes; and confidence. That is a deficit that could turn a crisis into a catastrophe. And I refuse to let that happen. As long as I hold this office, I will do whatever it takes to put this country back to work. "

President Barack Obama

The White House - Blog Post - The first press conference

"More than 90% of the jobs created by this plan will be in the private sector. These will not be make-work jobs, but jobs doing the work that America desperately needs done. Jobs rebuilding our crumbling roads and bridges, and repairing our dangerously deficient dams and levees so that we don’t face another Katrina. They will be jobs building the wind turbines and solar panels and fuel-efficient cars that will lower our dependence on foreign oil, and modernizing a costly health care system that will save us billions of dollars and countless lives. They’ll be jobs creating 21st century classrooms, libraries, and labs for millions of children across America. And they’ll be the jobs of firefighters, teachers, and police officers that would otherwise be eliminated if we do not provide states with some relief.

My administration inherited a deficit of over $1 trillion, but because we also inherited the most profound economic emergency since the Great Depression, doing too little or nothing at all will result in an even greater deficit of jobs, incomes; and confidence. That is a deficit that could turn a crisis into a catastrophe. And I refuse to let that happen. As long as I hold this office, I will do whatever it takes to put this country back to work. "

President Barack Obama

The White House - Blog Post - The first press conference
so his plan is to do more of the same?
where is that CHANGE

Exactly.

Let's give more money to the state government like LA that built 2 million dollar fountains instead of doing basic maintenance on the levees.

Let's give more money to states that already get millions in federal highway funds not to mention their own state taxes that are supposed to be used for upkeep on roads and bridges.

What the hell have they been doing with that money for all these years that the roads were "crumbling"?

Hey.. Two seven minute segments of complete sentences...

Add up all of W's speeches over 8 years and you dont get 14 minutes of error free articulation...

BO could wipe taxes out completely and the GOP would still whine about how tax increaes are on the way..

Fact is he inhereted a major recession, high unemployment rate and defeciet..

The steroid question was retarded... but he turned it into a moment for children to think about their future..

Better Dick line would have been.. "its not bacon.. its spam.." He could have lined that up with Hormel and had commercial endorcement$ out of it..

I agree with your post. More and more lately, he appears frustrated and agitated whenever a reporter asks a tough question. Did he think this job was going to be a walk in the park? As Bush used to say, "its hard work!"

You guys are haters. He was MONEY last night. He's not frustrated. He measures his words before he speaks. And he's not lying, like Bush did. But he doesn't want to say anything that might give the GOP reason to cry, so he's very calculated.

He was most careful when speaking about Iran.

But wasn't it refreshing to have an intelligent President speaking to us? It has been 8 years of Southern Retard leading the country, and finally we have a Statesman leading us.

More and more lately? What a joke. At least he's allowing reporters to ask tough questions. Bush only called on his buddies in the press to toss him softballs.

I agree with your post. More and more lately, he appears frustrated and agitated whenever a reporter asks a tough question. Did he think this job was going to be a walk in the park? As Bush used to say, "its hard work!"

You guys are haters. He was MONEY last night. He's not frustrated. He measures his words before he speaks. And he's not lying, like Bush did. But he doesn't want to say anything that might give the GOP reason to cry, so he's very calculated.

But wasn't it refreshing to have an intelligent President speaking to us? It has been 8 years of Southern Retard leading the country, and finally we have a Statesman leading us.

More and more lately? What a joke. At least he's allowing reporters to ask tough questions. Bush only called on his buddies in the press to toss him softballs.

Well he is a politician and by definition he is lying.

yeah, they really held his feet to the fire on the a-rod/steroids issue.
:rofl:
more koolaid?

That's another thing I'm sick of.

No, both parties aren't to blame for this mess. This mess was caused by the GOP. If the Dems have some blame, give them maybe 5% blame.

And just because Bush lied, doesn't mean Obama is too. You thought he was lying? About what?

And this bill can not be bi-partisan, because the GOP won't allow it. They got their tax breaks and still voted against it. And no action is not an option. So the GOP are just playing politics, and I don't suggest doing that against this president. YOU end up looking bad.

The bill will now pass. Because everyone with a brain says it is necessary. The GOP's position of do nothing or only give tax breaks is old, wrong, pathetic, and we voted them out of power because they suck.

And that means you are wrong too Del.

Sure government needs to spend less. Duh! Stop telling us what we already know.

Your party doubled the debt and didn't spend any of that money on Americans. So this stimulous package is needed because you guys pissed away so much money and didn't even invest it here in America.

Dude, you and your party have ruined America. It might even be too late to fix. The bankers crashed the global economy and now they are set to take over the world. America isn't the great country anymore. We are only one of many countries. Sure we have the most billionaires. Sure we have the best military. Big fucking deal. When our middle class quality of life goes, who gives a fuck.

And you think you won't end up being part of the poor masses Del? :lol:

My brother is a VP and he worries. He got to where he is before all these companies started going bankrupt/overseas. What the fuck are you going to do Del?

Is your current job safe? I guess people will always want to eat donuts. :lol:

Speaking directions for Bobo:

Remove head from Obama's ASS, then open mouth.

No, both parties aren't to blame for this mess. This mess was caused by the GOP. If the Dems have some blame, give them maybe 5% blame.

And just because Bush lied, doesn't mean Obama is too. You thought he was lying? About what?

And this bill can not be bi-partisan, because the GOP won't allow it. They got their tax breaks and still voted against it. And no action is not an option. So the GOP are just playing politics, and I don't suggest doing that against this president. YOU end up looking bad.

The bill will now pass. Because everyone with a brain says it is necessary. The GOP's position of do nothing or only give tax breaks is old, wrong, pathetic, and we voted them out of power because they suck.

Your party doubled the debt and didn't spend any of that money on Americans. So this stimulous package is needed because you guys pissed away so much money and didn't even invest it here in America.

Dude, you and your party have ruined America. It might even be too late to fix. The bankers crashed the global economy and now they are set to take over the world. America isn't the great country anymore. We are only one of many countries. Sure we have the most billionaires. Sure we have the best military. Big fucking deal. When our middle class quality of life goes, who gives a fuck.

My brother is a VP and he worries. He got to where he is before all these companies started going bankrupt/overseas. What the fuck are you going to do Del?

Is your current job safe? I guess people will always want to eat donuts. :lol:

Can you say Barney Frank?

My brother is a VP and he worries. He got to where he is before all these companies started going bankrupt/overseas. What the fuck are you going to do, Del?

here's an idea, fuckroast. if you're going to respond to my posts, start by......... wait for it...............responding to my posts.

fucking idiot can't see past obama's prostate.

Forum List

Back