Obama plans major address in Islamic capital: interview

Shogun

Free: Mudholes Stomped
Jan 8, 2007
WASHINGTON, (AFP) – President-elect Barack Obama plans to give "a major address" in an Islamic capital soon after taking office as he seeks to mend America's image in the Muslim world, a Chicago Tribune interview said.

"I think we've got a unique opportunity to reboot America's image around the world and also in the Muslim world in particular," Obama said in the interview published late Tuesday on the Tribune's website.

Obama promised an "unrelenting" desire to "create a relationship of mutual respect and partnership in countries and with peoples of good will who want their citizens and ours to prosper together."

The world "is ready for that message."

While he described a fresh approach to diplomacy, Obama said his administration would not shrink from the struggle against terrorism, referring to the recent attacks on India's financial capital.

"The message I want to send is that we will be unyielding in stamping out the terrorist extremism we saw in Mumbai," said Obama, who gave the interview from his transition team's offices in Chicago.

The Tribune wrote that Obama "plans to give a major address in an Islamic capital as part of his global outreach" but did not quote him directly.

Obama also said he would be sworn on January 20 using his full name, Barack Hussein Obama.

During the presidential campaign, some of Obama's political opponents would refer to his middle name in an attempt to portray him as a secret Muslim.

But the Christian president-elect said he would follow tradition for the inauguration ceremony.

"I think the tradition is that they use all three names, and I will follow the tradition," Obama told the paper. "I'm not trying to make a statement one way or another. I'll do what everybody else does."

Obama plans major address in Islamic capital: interview - Yahoo! News

Change ... yea little bits and pieces at a time. Then one day you will wake to find that the US is no longer a Christian nation.

Change ... yea little bits and pieces at a time. Then one day you will wake to find that the US is no longer a Christian nation.

I, for one, can't wait for that illusion of a "christian nation" to be dropped like the hood of a klansman in a police lineup.

maybe he'll make farther strides in finding peace with them since blind support of israel and bombing the shit out of muslim countries hasn't been working very well.

Obama also said he would be sworn on January 20 using his full name, Barack Hussein Obama.

now the slimey worm eaten little coward wants to use his middle name! :lol:

now the slimey worm eaten little coward wants to use his middle name! :lol:

clearly, you read the article in which it states that he is following precedence. Shit, if he didn't you'd have a fucking cow that he was trying to destroy tradition.

Man---no telling what the message is going to be but why is it that I don't think its going to be received very well by half the world ?

What? You don't believe in The Bama?

Name, address, phone number and SSN please. Just for for our records you understand. Oh, and do you own any guns? We don't want them, we just want to know.

I, for one, can't wait for that illusion of a "christian nation" to be dropped like the hood of a klansman in a police lineup.

Might want to grab a snickers since over 80% of this country identifies themselves as Christian

What? You don't believe in The Bama?

Name, address, phone number and SSN please. Just for for our records you understand. Oh, and do you own any guns? We don't want them, we just want to know.

I'm sure all of that information could have been easily gathered via tapped phone lines anyway.

clearly, you read the article in which it states that he is following precedence. Shit, if he didn't you'd have a fucking cow that he was trying to destroy tradition.

oh but baby baby during the campaign it was a sin to say Hussein.. that's what makes him a slimely little cowardly worm eaten bastich! :lol::lol:

oh but baby baby during the campaign it was a sin to say Hussein.. that's what makes him a slimely little cowardly worm eaten bastich! :lol::lol:

there is a HUGE difference between a man reciting his name in our presidential tradition and a bunch of angry right wingers trying to invoke the memory of Saddam.. I'd say about a 364 to 174 difference.

Seriously though, this is such bullshit. The idea that making some speech or conciliatory gesture or gift or anything else will help change things with the Islamic countries. It's so uber-chauvinistic.

The thinking behind it relies on the believe that the Middle East is only reacting to our stimuli. Utterly nonsensical.

They have an agenda of their own. It runs counter to our agenda. They are just as responsible for generating the friction vis-a-vis the US as the US is for generating friction through its actions. There is no reason to believe that they will change their desires to achieve their agenda no matter what Obama says.

Forum List

Back