Obama just lost the election tonight

The problem with the economy (big picture here) is that there isn't enough domestic demand because the working class (the bottom 95% of us all) do not have enough money to pay for our necessities. The reason we don't have enough money is because the GDP wealth increases found its way into the pockets of the top wealth holders and money makers and not into the pockets of the working who actually created this wealth with their own hands and minds. Since the beginning of the Reagan administration the GDP has grown an average of 1/2 a trillion a year. But this wealth was all captured by the wealthy and the real earnings and wealth of the bottom 95% has actually straight lined declined.

When the great recession hit in 2008, everybody lost wealth, but the loss by the bottom 95% was greater by proportion than the loss by the top 5%. And, the relative wealth of the wealthy compared to everybody else actually increased percentage wise.

I am going somewhere with this, Salt Jones, hang in there.

If our economy was an equitable one that was not so greatly biased in favor of the wealthy few, then more of the GDP would be in our working class hands instead of all going to the wealthy only. Then more of the midde class would have more taxable income with which to pay social security taxes and medicare taxes and save for retirement. Right now, the bottom 50% doesn't have enough money to pay any income taxes, let alone adequate funds for necessities.

So, Salt Jones, what we as an economy and society should do about your three concerns is to fix the legal and ecnonomical structure to more equitably compensate the working class and remove that damaging immoral bias in favor of the rich starting NOW and on into the future so that in the short term future there will be more revenues to the government to pay for entitlements. As the compensation and wealth flow to the working class is normalized fairly, there will be a time soon that there will not be as much of a drain on GDP as entitlements will decrease as income for the working class increases.

Also, starting now, we should absolutely increase the income tax rate on the wealthy much more than the 3% talked about now so as to recapture that inequitable economy-damaging wealth siphoned off by the wealthy during the past 30 years of our biased economy. In fact, I am for taxing wealth itself at the upper amounts so as to partially offset the lopsided concentration of wealth in this country in the hands of the wealthy few. Did you know that the USA is the second worst offfender of disparity of wealth in the world. Yeah, we recently suprassed corrupt Mexico! Deregulation and way too low tax rates on the rich contributed greatly to that disparity as well as diminishing unions and collective bargaining and all too favorable labor laws for the employers.

By the way, you do know that Reagan increase Social Security taxes to the extent that the working class has paid so much into the social security system that there is a surplus in the social security fund in the amount of $2 trillion?. The problem is that, beginning with Reagan, the government has consistently borrowed from the fund to have actually borrowed ALL of It at this point. But, be advised that we working class paid for a $2 trillion surplus! It's just been borrowed and spent.

Another important step to curing our malaise and rescuing our country from certain demise is to fix health care as it is a tremendous drain cost wise. We absolutely need a single payer system, just like medicare and restored bargaining rights by medicare to deal with the drug companies to get market prices for drugs. We also need to do something about patent laws, shorten the life of patents.

By getting more of the GDP in the hands of the working class and less in the hands of wealthy few, we will have a larger tax base with which to pay down the existing government debt and have the cash on hand to pay for infrastructure which will contribute to long term economic health and wealth creation. Aslo, we will have more money for education so that we can become competitive in the world market and enjoy a comparative benefit in the tech world since we have essentially lost our manufacturing industry to the developing countries.

The right wing is for all the wrong things: No regulation, No education spending, no infrastructure spending, lower taxes for the rich, no collective bargaining, reduction of social safety nets, no single payer healthcare system - all the things that make the rich richer and the working class poorer as it has since 1980. This will make the USA really hit bottom fast. We will be a poorer country for sure. Did you know our principal competitors are doing just the opposite of the right wing agenda?

If medicare and social security are growing faster than the GDP what are we supposed to do?

If baby boomers are going to overwhelm medicare and ss what are we supposed to do?

Why not end all Bush tax cuts for everyone?

How about we not burden the people more and instead fix or eliminate the programs that are causing problems?

You act like the people are here to support those programs instead of vice versa.

Please note: I used to be a Republican, then converted to a Democrat in 2008. I voted for Obama in 2008 and have largely defended his actions...

But tonight?

His speech was terrible. He delivered it terribly.

S&P has said that if Boehner's plan is passed, the credit rating of the country will be downgraded. Obama is in a lose-lose situation here and it looks like the Republicans are the only ones who are going to win.

The only thing left for Obama to do right now is let the country go into default and not extend the cap until Republicans increase revenues. Obama MUST stand firm on this. No short term deal. Let the country go into default in order to win this battle.

Unfortunately, we as middle class Americans, are stuck in the middle between the Liberals and the Conservatives and we're both going to have to pay for it.

Try Islam... Maybe that will work for ya. You'll still fit in. The liberals love Muslims.

So does Murdock and Fox News, they have a Muslim investor

Please note: I used to be a Republican, then converted to a Democrat in 2008. I voted for Obama in 2008 and have largely defended his actions...

Unfortunately, we as middle class Americans, are stuck in the middle between the Liberals and the Conservatives and we're both going to have to pay for it.

Why did you default, how could you have fallen for him, and why on earth would you defend his actions, ever? Did you have a crush on him? Because I don't see how any thinking adult could be so fucking stupid.

Though that last sentence gives it away..you think there are classes of people, and there's always a class to blame....

Grow the hell up. Americans are gonig to pay, not because of liberals or conservatives but because of stupid shits like you, who haven't the sense to see past the nose on your face, and then vote that way. Thank you. Appreciate it. If you hadn't been a douche, we wouldn't be in this mess.

I am a staunch liberal. Any other staunch liberals out there think that this president has to go besides me?

We need an authentic leader with a back bone and a commitment to principles that he/she is willing to fight for, stand up for, and lead others in that direction.

I will say that the right wing knows how to fight and our liberal/Democrat leaders have none of the attributes that constitute a fighter: strong conviction, courage to fight, knowledge of how to fight, inclination and desire to fight, inspiration to fight, inspiration to organize a fight and to develope fighting tactics.

I am so disgusted that I am all for regrouping, dumping Obama (the great conciliator) in 2012, creating a grass roots liberal movement within the Democratic party to locate a real leader to elect as president.

I mean, how does a party elect a president in 2008 and have both houses and lose so much? When republicans were soundly defeated in 2008, they didn't capitulate their cause, they dug their heels in. All the pundits and their leaders took to the airways and reasserted their commitment to their principles, and they didn't look to "compromise" and "conciliation" to revive their politicial agenda, they dug their heels in and looked inward to their principles for their conviction and strength faught and faught and faught without letting up.

The right wing ideology is all wrong, mean spirited, damaging to humanity and to this country, and for the most part immoral in many, many ways. We liberals have logic and morality on our side. The facts and reality of life favor the liberal agenda, but we still consistantly lose.

The blame is not all on Obama, he's just a cog in the woosie liberal wheel. The blame is on us liberals and democrats for not voting for a real leader, a strong leader, and not messaging on the public airways.

What we liberals need to do is regroup, decide to fight, and start from the beginning with a clean slate. Define our principles and shout it loudly and clearly to the public at every opportunity. We need to develop an aggressive strategy to promulgate our agenda which includes finding and electing strong fighting vocal committed liberals, engage in effective public tactics using our talking points with consistency, argue and debate and to effectively spin and spin and spin, consistantly and frequently criticize our opponents at every opportunity, communicate to the public the realities of basic economics about how our economy is legally, politically, and culturally biased to overwhelmingly favor and over reward the wealthy and under compensate the working class (which is at least 95% of our population - lots of dumb right wingers in there). BTW, this last point in the previous sentence IS the major problem in the USA and the republican agenda is just making the country's condition worse and worse by the second.

We need to stand up and fight. Obama's not the man to do it. He's just leading us down a losing path by concession after concession and has from the beginning. We have to be fortified with our own individual conviction, regroup. Let the Republicans win this budget battle - actually, they already have. Let this next 2012 election go to the republicans if we must in order to take the time to regroup and resurrect with strength and in numbers and find new strong leaders. Stay strong, stay on message, argue, debate, fight, publically message relentlessly, spin, use language and name branding to communicate to the average American effectively and vote for our own while we influence the majority to vote democrat.

Want some evidence? Very few if any democrat politicians will admit publically they are a liberal. In fact, since Reagan, Democrats have been afraid to admit they are "liberal", but republicans sound out very publically and pronounce that they are a conservative with pride. Liberal is bad word and Democrat politicians refuse to admit that they liberals publically. Republicans say it with pride and hold it as a badge of honor. Right wingers have coopted "Americanism", patriotism, pro military, pro business, pro family values, pullng oneself up by the bootstraps, pro religion, pro God, the work ethic, etc., etc., etc. We liberals are for all those things as well, but the righties have coopted all those things as their own and we are successfully portrayed as the opposite. See? It's all about fighting, public messaging and not about the facts. Get it?

We have to fight fire with fire... more fire! If you go into battle unwillingly, you will definitely lose. If you go into battle with a stronger fighting spirit than the opponent, you will win.
If your liberal, you might want to consider his replacement before you kick him out.

Flopper, as a practical matter, you are probably right. I have been glued to the TV cable news all day following the congressional debt limit controversy and it is driving me crazy. Obama has agreed to take revenue increases off the table. He has let the cons control the issues on the debate and has essentially capitulated, as he always does. It's frightening and maddening. He has laid down once again. He doesn't know how to negotiate or fight. For God's sake, we have the presidency and the Senate and they only have the the house, and they are getting what they want and Obama is getting nothing. How can we do worse?

You know, one of the dumbest, ignorant, and least capable people and intellectually vacant person's was elected president (G. Bush), and he was elected twice! Their presidential front runners were/are people like Trump, Bachman, and Palin. I mean, how damaging could it be to drop Obama and get a prominent yet average liberal politician to run for pres in 2012? It's got to be better than that cowardly loser.

75%? Why is it that people throw out such lies?
Out of those 12 instances:
-58% of the time the President was a Democrat
-58% of the time the Senate was controlled by Democrats
-50% of the time the House was controlled by Democrats
-83% of the time, one party controlled the Presidency and the other controlled the Congress

According to your own source, "the largest uninterrupted stretch of surpluses came between 1920 and 1930." During this time, both Congress and the Presidency were controlled by Republicans. If you asked who was in charge of the balanced budgets since 1920, the results would be quite different.
-68% of the time the President was a Republican
-68% of the time the Senate was controlled by Republicans
-73% of the time the House was controlled by Republicans
-45% of the time Republicans had total control of both branches
-9% of the time Democrats had total control of both branches
46% of the time control was split between the two parties

So clearly your conclusion is incorrect. But that is not to say Republicans are great at balancing budgets. To test that hypothesis, you would have to see how often Republicans, when in control, had balanced budgets, test the same for Democrats, and see who has the higher percentage.

IMO, neither party is great at balancing the budget. But your numbers are made up and false.

Party In Power - Congress and Presidency - A Visual Guide To The Balance of Power In Congress, 1945-2008
Party divisions of United States Congresses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You're right neither party is very good at controlling the deficit, but Democratic presidents have done a better job of balancing the budget. Keep in mind it is the president that is responsible for creating and submitting the budget. Congress's responsibility is to approve or disapprove. Of course Congress makes up their own budget based on the president budget and makes alterations, but basically it is the president's budget. My statement did not address the make up of congress, only the presidents since the President is responsible for creating the budget and seeing the government sticks to that budget.

Since the Great Depression, we had only one Republican president, Eisenhower who balanced the budget. We have had three Democratic presidents who balanced the budget, Truman, Johnson, and Clinton. During that period we have had 7 Republican and 7 Democratic presidents.
Why are you starting since the great depression and not the 1920s? If you started earlier, it would be 3 and 3. And you have to look at years, not presidencies. Calvin Coolidge had a balanced budget for 8 years. Some of those democratic presidents had only 1 or 2 years of balanced budgets.

And you are incorrect that the budget is basically the president's. Congress ultimately controls the power of the purse, and can completely alter the president's budget if it pleases, so long as they can override the veto or pressure the president into agreeing with the new budget. You cannot just look at presidents. Doing so will give you incredibly incomplete data. A budget with a Republican Congress and a Democratic President will not look the same as a budget with both a Democratic Congress and President, or both branches controlled by Republicans.

Even if you do assume the President has the most power, if you look at all the surpluses and deficits per year and the party of the president that year since 1920, Republicans ran surpluses 32% of the time, a pathetic showing, but democrats ran surpluses only 20% of the time, even less. Still, because of the power of Congress, I would not claim that Republicans are better at balancing budgets.

If you look at the Senate, there is an even greater distinction. 49% of the time, Senates under Republican control balanced the budget. When Democrats controlled the Senate, the budget was balanced only 11% of the time.

To remove the variable of division of power between parties, I looked at years in which the presidency and both houses of congress were controlled by the same party.
61% of the time, Republicans in charge of both branches balanced the budget. Only 6% of the time was the budget balanced when democrats were in full control.

Obviously, from this data it is impossible to conclude that Democrats are more likely to balance the budget than Republicans. I would not say Republicans are more likely to balance the budget either, based on the way the party has shifted away from its older principles.
Good Post.

If I remember correctly once the Congress approves the budget it is law. The president doesn't get a chance to veto.

Comparing budget deficits/surpluses before and after the Depression does not make much sense because of two things. Sometime in 1930's they changed an accounting practice from accrual to cash accounting. Also the size of government more than doubled. Before the depression, about the only reason you ran a deficit was due to war.

Flopper, as a practical matter, you are probably right. I have been glued to the TV cable news all day following the congressional debt limit controversy and it is driving me crazy. Obama has agreed to take revenue increases off the table. He has let the cons control the issues on the debate and has essentially capitulated, as he always does. It's frightening and maddening. He has laid down once again. He doesn't know how to negotiate or fight. For God's sake, we have the presidency and the Senate and they only have the the house, and they are getting what they want and Obama is getting nothing. How can we do worse?

You know, one of the dumbest, ignorant, and least capable people and intellectually vacant person's was elected president (G. Bush), and he was elected twice! Their presidential front runners were/are people like Trump, Bachman, and Palin. I mean, how damaging could it be to drop Obama and get a prominent yet average liberal politician to run for pres in 2012? It's got to be better than that cowardly loser.
Obama is no worse than Boehner and Reid. They all three look idiots to me. Obama just wants to get this thing behind him so he can start campaigning and Republicans are intent on that not happening. Boehner has no control over the House. Reid is just playing games with the Senate Republicans. And the funny thing about all this is the only thing that is important is that the debt ceiling be raised. The spending cuts or tax provision will be changed by the next congress and next congress and in a few years nothing will remain. I'm afraid this will end up being much ado about nothing.

Last edited:

Obama is no worse than Boehner and Reid. They all three look idiots to me. Obama just wants to get this thing behind him so he can start campaigning and Republicans are intent on that not happening. Boehner has no control over the House. Reid is just playing games with the Senate Republicans. And the funny thing about all this is the only thing that is important is that the debt ceiling be raised. The spending cuts or tax provision will be changed by the next congress and next congress and in a few years nothing will remain. I'm afraid this will end up being much ado about nothing.

Gee, if we could only do something to the Constitution to tie the spending to a percentage of GDP, eradicate the oh-so-safe districts the two major parties have carved out for themselves, force the people running for President to debate domestic spending separately in a public debate where each lays out her or his priorities for social programs....you change the rules and the self-aggrandizing rulers are pretty powerless all of the sudden.

Right now the Republicans are looking like extremists and unstable. Do you want to join them by nominating somebody like Saunders from Vermont?

Hey there is an idea. Let's have both sides completely dig in and ignore the facts so we can't get anything done. The truth is simple. We don't solve this without reforming entitlements and raising revenue. Obama unfortunately is caught between two extremes both of whom believe their own distorted view of the truth. He is trying to be like Clinton but doesn't have reasonable partners on either side.

Why did you default, how could you have fallen for him, and why on earth would you defend his actions, ever? Did you have a crush on him? Because I don't see how any thinking adult could be so fucking stupid.

Though that last sentence gives it away..you think there are classes of people, and there's always a class to blame....

Grow the hell up. Americans are gonig to pay, not because of liberals or conservatives but because of stupid shits like you, who haven't the sense to see past the nose on your face, and then vote that way. Thank you. Appreciate it. If you hadn't been a douche, we wouldn't be in this mess.

LOL. Well now, Back Alley, I ain't agonna pay. I work for a Russian company. And we will still export armor to Isreal.

The Teabaggers and the GOP are the people that have put us in this mess, and will continue to work to the detriment of this nation.

LOL. Well now, Back Alley, I ain't agonna pay. I work for a Russian company. And we will still export armor to Isreal.

The Teabaggers and the GOP are the people that have put us in this mess, and will continue to work to the detriment of this nation.

That is BS.

The tea party didnt run up this debt. Both parties did. They are saying enough.

I guess you think it just fine we are paying a half trillion in interest this year alone.

But thanks for playing.

If we default, there are going to be unforseen consequences. And I don't see how any of them will be good for any of us, or anybody of any other nation. Given the state of the economies worldwide, this game could blow up in everybodies face.

When I look at what is being tried, it angers me very much. You see, this is like the teenager that is threatoning to burn down the house if he doesn't get his way. The GOP is acting only on their ideology that the only people that matter are the upper 2% of the people in the US. And if they crash the nation, those people will automatically come out with even more power than they have today. The French Monarchy could not imagine Bastille, either.

Let me see if I understand this correctly. You are blaming the Tea Party for our current debt/deficit crisis when we've been deficit spending for well over 50+ years and most of our debt was occured before the Tea Party even existed? Heck, the Tea Party hasnt had any significant power to create this problem. That's like blaming the United States for the Crusades.

If we default, there are going to be unforseen consequences. And I don't see how any of them will be good for any of us, or anybody of any other nation. Given the state of the economies worldwide, this game could blow up in everybodies face.

When I look at what is being tried, it angers me very much. You see, this is like the teenager that is threatoning to burn down the house if he doesn't get his way. The GOP is acting only on their ideology that the only people that matter are the upper 2% of the people in the US. And if they crash the nation, those people will automatically come out with even more power than they have today. The French Monarchy could not imagine Bastille, either.

We wont default if we simply cut the damn spending.

That is BS.

The tea party didnt run up this debt. Both parties did. They are saying enough.

I guess you think it just fine we are paying a half trillion in interest this year alone.

But thanks for playing.

The Teabagger are determined to crash the nation. Yes, it will be their fault if it goes bad.

No, it is not fine. But then, your asshole, Bush, did a tax cut at the same time that we fought two wars. All that was needed was to go in, get Bin Laden, and get out. So the GOP crashed the economy for the benefit of the upper 2%. And they are attempting to do the same again. Result might be far differant than they expect.

We wont default if we simply cut the damn spending.

Why yes. Let us begger the working man in order to keep the wealthy 2% happy.

There are going to have to be spending cuts, but there damn well better be increases in revenue from those that are not paying their fair share. No way one without the other. You want to play the precipace game. OK, let's do it.

And just what will those circumstances be when the debt is 30 trillion and the interest payments are 2 trillion?

I await you answer. Dont say well they will cut spending when the argument just months ago was EXTREME.

Let me see if I understand this correctly. You are blaming the Tea Party for our current debt/deficit crisis when we've been deficit spending for well over 50+ years and most of our debt was occured before the Tea Party even existed? Heck, the Tea Party hasnt had any significant power to create this problem. That's like blaming the United States for the Crusades.

The Teabaggers are merely a tool of the upper 2% that wish to increase their share of the wealth. They are actively working to crash the nations economy once again. They are the enemies of people that actually work for a living.

Yes, spending cuts are neccessary, but not without increases in taxes on the upper 2%. Otherwise, crash the damned economy. See what the result is this time. We have nothing left to bail anything out with. This time, the whole structure will go down. And gated communities will provide no protection.

The Teabaggers are merely a tool of the upper 2% that wish to increase their share of the wealth

Absolute BS

Meanwhile all the wallstreet fat cats are working for Obama, then on the way out Dodd gives them bonuses.

You are one confused dude.

Forum List

Back