Obama in serious trouble--Sestak confirms WH offer to drop out of Senate race

During his campaign he spilled the beans--campaigning that he was offered a position by the White House to drop out of the race. Press secretary Gates finally admitted that an offer was made--but would not talk about any details.

hmmm...wouldn't talk about the details...sounds very familiar......

I'll give the DOCTOR this much...it's VERY hard to prove intent when you refuse to talk about it. You may not be able to prove the guilt...but you have problem pointing out how guilty they look.

Loose lips sink ships...Gates isn't going to say a thing. I'm surprised he admitted any knowledge of it.

Yeah--he did over the weekend--it's on video--and I am still looking for it.
:cuckoo:

Not sure you know what a logical fallacy is.....

A logical fallacy would be one's error in reasoning. Your perception of an idea or ideology that is flawed based on your lack of understanding, experience or knowledge of the subject..

Here's a good example: You said it is everyday politics....I don't agree. If it were, there would be many more examples and it would have been dismissed by the Obama talking heads with many examples from the Bush years. Haven't seen any of those...have we? So it's NOT (fact) an everyday occurence and if it were, there would have been no reason for you to be so tight-lipped about the example you gave earlier.

So, the fact that I've worked directly for elected officials for years must account for my "lack of understanding, experience, or knowledge of the subject", right?

And I did give the name.

If you haven't noticed we expect our elected officials to abide by the laws in this country. And when we catch them breaking the law--there will be a very heavy price to pay.

A logical fallacy would be one's error in reasoning. Your perception of an idea or ideology that is flawed based on your lack of understanding, experience or knowledge of the subject..

Here's a good example: You said it is everyday politics....I don't agree. If it were, there would be many more examples and it would have been dismissed by the Obama talking heads with many examples from the Bush years. Haven't seen any of those...have we? So it's NOT (fact) an everyday occurence and if it were, there would have been no reason for you to be so tight-lipped about the example you gave earlier.

So, the fact that I've worked directly for elected officials for years must account for my "lack of understanding, experience, or knowledge of the subject", right?

And I did give the name.

I guess I missed the post where you finally gave the name....thanks for making me beat it out of you...lol.

Now, DOC, I didn't say you lack experience or understanding of what you do. I did, however, disagree with you. And the simple reason for my disagreement is the lack of evidence to back up your claim.

IF it is so common, surely we can get 2 or 3 more examples of very significant positions being offered to candidates who announce their intent to run for an office in order to take them out of the race.

O.K.--then give one other example of any administration that made an offer such as this--and AFTER the person announced his/her intent to run for elected office.

LINK?

Link? Ha ha Guess what dick tracy... ? It doesn't matter "When". No law has been broken. People get snapped up all time to get admin positions...some immediately after elections..It happened here in Seattle twice right after the 08 election. You just don't have any kind of a criminal or moral case. Unless you want to be thought a hack fool like Sara..drop it...or not and brand yourself a forever idiot.

Being wrong isn't the end of the world. Proving it into infinity limits your credibility infinitely.

Yeah thought so--just more histerical babble coming from an Obamabot--that realises this is very serious.

I have no feelings for you but that said seek help. I have respect for the President of The United States. Why? Because he dragged his black ass up through the ranks and with the Name Barack Hussein Obama to be fairly and truly elected President. What have you done lately?

Just because you want to think you are some super agent of the internet and have stumbled upon the crime of the century doesn't always mean it is so. Sometimes it means you need to adjust your medication.

And I did give the name.

I guess I missed the post where you finally gave the name....thanks for making me beat it out of you...lol.

Now, DOC, I didn't say you lack experience or understanding of what you do. I did, however, disagree with you. And the simple reason for my disagreement is the lack of evidence to back up your claim.

IF it is so common, surely we can get 2 or 3 more examples of very significant positions being offered to candidates who announce their intent to run for an office in order to take them out of the race.

The point is that no one is claiming that Sestak was offered the job AFTER he announced he would run. I think it's pretty damn unlikely that he got the offer AFTER he announced to the public that he would run.

And you wouldn't hear about it when it happens, because most of the time they TAKE THE JOB, and don't talk about it. Why do you think Hillary was offered the SecState job?

What an idiot! Impeachable offense? Every administration makes deals to get the best help. What do you think fuckwit? That these guys are just sitting around in thier mommies basement like you? What a hack pathetic loser.

O.K.--then give one other example of any administration that made an offer such as this--and AFTER the person announced his/her intent to run for elected office.

LINK?

Link? Ha ha Guess what dick tracy... ? It doesn't matter "When". No law has been broken. People get snapped up all time to get admin positions...some immediately after elections..It happened here in Seattle twice right after the 08 election. You just don't have any kind of a criminal or moral case. Unless you want to be thought a hack fool like Sara..drop it...or not and brand yourself a forever idiot.

Being wrong isn't the end of the world. Proving it into infinity limits your credibility infinitely.

So, you're talking about positions being offered AFTER an election...

Hmmm...let's see......APPLES.....ORANGES

Damn! You're right...NO LAW WAS BROKEN!!! It didn't effect the outcome of an election. It was the RESULT of an election!

Thanks for clearing that up.

And I did give the name.

If you haven't noticed we expect our elected officials to abide by the laws in this country. And when we catch them breaking the law--there will be a very heavy price to pay.

Now this is the funniest post I've read on this message board. EVER.

LINK?

Damn! You're right...NO LAW WAS BROKEN!!! It didn't effect the outcome of an election. It was the RESULT of an election!

Point out the law broken and I will humbly apologise and stfu.

hmmm...wouldn't talk about the details...sounds very familiar......

I'll give the DOCTOR this much...it's VERY hard to prove intent when you refuse to talk about it. You may not be able to prove the guilt...but you have problem pointing out how guilty they look.

Loose lips sink ships...Gates isn't going to say a thing. I'm surprised he admitted any knowledge of it.

Yeah--he did over the weekend--it's on video--and I am still looking for it.
:cuckoo:

"NOTHING inappropriate happened," White House press secretary Robert Gibbs says about the job offer that Rep. Joe Sestak, now the Democratic nominee for a Pennsylvania Senate seat, claims the White House dangled to induce him to back away from challenging incumbent Arlen Specter. "It has been looked into," adds White House senior adviser David Axelrod, and "nothing inappropriate happened."

washingtonpost.com

Logical fallacies like "it happens everyday in politics"? :eusa_whistle:

Even the poster trying to prove me wrong proved that both the Dr and I are right.

Marsh said that even if the job offer was made, the wording matters.

“A bribe would need to be a quid pro quo,” Marsh told CNSNews.com. “Saying, ‘take the secretary of the Navy position’ versus saying, ‘take the secretary of the Navy position if you don’t run against Specter’ is a huge difference.”

Marsh added that “without more facts there does not seem to be an established crime.”

“It’s Sestak’s word against the White House,” she added. “The White House is not refuting it completely, which leaves us with an uncomfortable feeling. If someone says we will give this for that, then that is pretty close to a full-scale crime.”

If it is true, such a trade would be an indictment of the system, Sloan of CREW said, but not likely illegal.

In other words, politics as usual. The reason you don't hear more about it is precisely because everyone does it. The only mistake here is that they offered the job to an honest man who wanted to make a real difference.

CNSNews.com - Justice Dept Should Probe Alleged White House Offer to Rep. Sestak, Legal Experts Say

Last edited:

How many times do I need to link this? It's all over this board.

Whoever, directly or indirectly, promises any employment,
position, compensation, contract, appointment, or other benefit,
provided for or made possible in whole or in part by any Act of
Congress, or any special consideration in obtaining any such
benefit, to any person as consideration, favor, or reward for any
political activity or for the support of or opposition to any
candidate or any political party in connection with any general or
special election to any political office, or in connection with any
primary election or political convention or caucus held to select
candidates for any political office, shall be fined under this
title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

18 U.S.C. § 600 : US Code - Section 600: Promise of employment or other benefit for political activity

Last edited:

18 U.S.C. § 600 : US Code - Section 600: Promise of employment or other benefit for political activity

You should read the article you posted to refute me.

And I did give the name.

The point is that no one is claiming that Sestak was offered the job AFTER he announced he would run. I think it's pretty damn unlikely that he got the offer AFTER he announced to the public that he would run.

And you wouldn't hear about it when it happens, because most of the time they TAKE THE JOB, and don't talk about it. Why do you think Hillary was offered the SecState job?

It is interesting that there isn't a time line yet. I'm very confused about Sestak's vague allegations.

As for Hillary....well it wasn't until AFTER she was bumped from the election that she was offered the job...but it did tie her up pretty good from running in 12...so that's the goods on that one. And kudos to Obama's thinkers for coming up with that strategy.

"Whoever, directly or indirectly, promises any employment,
position, compensation, contract, appointment, or other benefit,
provided for or made possible in whole or in part by any Act of
Congress, or any special consideration in obtaining any such
benefit, to any person as consideration, favor, or reward for any
political activity or for the support of or opposition to any
candidate or any political party in connection with any general or
special election to any political office, or in connection with any
primary election or political convention or caucus held to select
candidates for any political office, shall be fined under this
title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both."

OOO KKKKKK Not withstanding that this may be the most unenforceable law ever written...it only applies if the guy running drops out, Case dismissed. There is no body.

If you read it some other way ...you are almost entirely alone in that interpretation.

It is interesting that there isn't a time line yet. I'm very confused about Sestak's vague allegations.

As for Hillary....well it wasn't until AFTER she was bumped from the election that she was offered the job...but it did tie her up pretty good from running in 12...so that's the goods on that one. And kudos to Obama's thinkers for coming up with that strategy.

I don't think she would have challenged him in the Primary anyway - but it's all about political capital - which she has a LOT of.

I mistook my response as sarcasm...it wasn't. In the situation that you mentioned, where positions or appointments were made AFTER an election, you are exactly right...no law was broken. It had no bearing on the outcome of the election. So I cannot point out the law that was broken...your argument is valid, if we're talking about job offers AFTER an election is over.

On Meet the Press Sestak CLEARLY STATES he was offered a job to NOT RUN FOR THE SENATE. Even the DEMOCRATS ARE ASKING FOR MORE INFORMATION!!! WTF is wrong with you people? I bet Rahm Emmanuel offered Sestak SecNav.

Forum List

Back