Obama in serious trouble--Sestak confirms WH offer to drop out of Senate race

When did offering someone a job become an impeachable offense?

Title 18, U.S.C. Section 211 says that, “Whoever solicits or receives, either as a political contribution or for personal emolument, any money or thing of value, in consideration of the promise of support or use of influence in obtaining for any person any appointive office or place under the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year or both

Title 18, U.S.C. Section 595, which says, “Whoever, being a person employed in any administrative position by the United States … uses his official authority for the purposes of interfering with, or affecting the nomination of, or the election of any candidate for office of President, Vice President, Presidential elector, Member of the Senate, Member of the House of Representative…shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.”

CNSNews.com - Justice Dept Should Probe Alleged White House Offer to Rep. Sestak, Legal Experts Say

The only person who could be in trouble under Section 211 is Sestak, and he claims he was offered the job, so unless someone is claiming he asked for it it does not apply. Applying Section 595 would be a considerable stretch because all they were doing is offering him a job if he did not run in the primary. Unless Sestak was specifically told he was being offered the job because the White House did not want him in the primary all anyone can do is posture, and even if he was told this I am positive that the ties to Obama are clouded enough that no one will be able to tie him to it directly. He might be incompetent, but he is a lawyer, and thus fully understands the concept of deniability. Thus there is no impeachable offense. But feel free to jump on any rabid bandwagon you want to, just do not expect the real world to join you.

This is commonplace, and has been for hundreds of years.
Welcome to politics.

And, just for shits and giggles, exactly what "impeachable offense" has occurred?

YOU are wrong!!!! It violates federal law!!!!!

That's a questionable claim. It's certainly not illegal to offer someone a cabinet position. It's pretty hard to prove intent.

And YOU are wrong, and very naive if you think this doesn't happen on a daily basis all around the country and the world. In fact, it's happened to people I know.

Let me let you in on a little secret:

This is the way politics work. And it won't cause any trouble for Obama, because all the other politicians want to keep this tactic. It will NEVER gain momentum, except on these messageboards.

Anyone who spends any time working in politics knows this.

Wanna bet---this again is making news and showing again the corrupt underhanded dealings of this administration.

And when Republicans take over this November 2010--this will certainly be investigated further.

You libs--think Valeri Plumb was a big deal--well this is about 1000 times worse.

This is the way politics work. And it won't cause any trouble for Obama, because all the other politicians want to keep this tactic. It will NEVER gain momentum, except on these messageboards.

This is the way crooked politics works.

Sorry kid.

All politics are crooked.

So you are already conceding that someone in the Administration violated Federal Law.

I don't care if that's "Politics as usual." it's still against the law and if someone did this as Sestak claimed, it's the obligation of the American people to demand that that person face justice.

Sorry kid.

Only because you turn a blind eye to it.

Wanna bet---this again is making news [/B--]and showing again the corrupt underhanded dealings of this administration.

And when Republicans take over this November 2010--this will certainly be investigated further.

You libs--think Valeri Plumb was a big deal--well this is about 1000 times worse.

You're free to keep thinking that, if it helps you sleep at night.

But you're wrong.

I can only see two explanations for the way that some Conservatives have been acting towards Obama.

Either they're really naive, and think that every "scandal" they come up with is unique to Obama - that commonplace events are so "outrageous".

Offering the opponent a job is a long-standing political tactic. People have been doing it for hundreds if not thousands of years.

Or they're dishonest.

Are you going to back this up with examples or just keep making the claim?

When did offering someone a job become an impeachable offense?

Title 18, U.S.C. Section 211 says that, “Whoever solicits or receives, either as a political contribution or for personal emolument, any money or thing of value, in consideration of the promise of support or use of influence in obtaining for any person any appointive office or place under the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year or both

Title 18, U.S.C. Section 595, which says, “Whoever, being a person employed in any administrative position by the United States … uses his official authority for the purposes of interfering with, or affecting the nomination of, or the election of any candidate for office of President, Vice President, Presidential elector, Member of the Senate, Member of the House of Representative…shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.”

CNSNews.com - Justice Dept Should Probe Alleged White House Offer to Rep. Sestak, Legal Experts Say

The only person who could be in trouble under Section 211 is Sestak, and he claims he was offered the job, so unless someone is claiming he asked for it it does not apply. Applying Section 595 would be a considerable stretch because all they were doing is offering him a job if he did not run in the primary. Unless Sestak was specifically told he was being offered the job because the White House did not want him in the primary all anyone can do is posture, and even if he was told this I am positive that the ties to Obama are clouded enough that no one will be able to tie him to it directly. He might be incompetent, but he is a lawyer, and thus fully understands the concept of deniability. Thus there is no impeachable offense. But feel free to jump on any rabid bandwagon you want to, just do not expect the real world to join you.

Read section 595 MORON.

The President has an Article II power to offer jobs and Sestak's acceptance would have naturally meant withdrawing from the race.

Did Sestak or anyone else say he was asked to drop out as a quid pro quo?

Hmmm, dead dawg hunting.

Yes...Sestak said he was offered the job so he would get out of the race. This is a deliberate attempt to influence the outcome of an election.

Violating federal statutes is the way politics works? Hmmmmmm.....

Wanna bet---this again is making news [/B--]and showing again the corrupt underhanded dealings of this administration.

But you're wrong.

No--I am NOT wrong--I am simply reading the LAW.

I can only see two explanations for the way that some Conservatives have been acting towards Obama.

Either they're really naive, and think that every "scandal" they come up with is unique to Obama - that commonplace events are so "outrageous".

Offering the opponent a job is a long-standing political tactic. People have been doing it for hundreds if not thousands of years.

Or they're dishonest.

Well, I can give you one off the top of my head.

In NYC, a former city councilman was given a job as Assistant Comptroller to keep him from attempting a run for State Senate. This happened this year.

Sorry kid.

The simple and basic truth that only cynics understand.

The President has an Article II power to offer jobs and Sestak's acceptance would have naturally meant withdrawing from the race.

Did Sestak or anyone else say he was asked to drop out as a quid pro quo?

Hmmm, dead dawg hunting.

Yes...Sestak said he was offered the job so he would get out of the race. This is a deliberate attempt to influence the outcome of an election.

No he did not.

He said that he was offered a job. Nothing more.

But you're wrong.

No--I am NOT wrong--I am simply reading the LAW.

You are "reading the law" incorrectly.

It is nearly impossible to prove intent. And no one will even bother trying.

Violating federal statutes is the way politics works? Hmmmmmm.....

Apparently its the CHANGE we were promised

Or they're dishonest.

Well, I can give you one off the top of my head.

In NYC, a former city councilman was given a job as Assistant Comptroller to keep him from attempting a run for State Senate. This happened this year.

Who? And it also happened recently? I don't think you are helping out BO very much....you might want to make like Biden and "just don't talk anymore, Joe."

Last edited:

Forum List

Back