Obama - "I need more time"

Listening

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2011
Obama pleads for voters

In a major economic speech in Cleveland Thursday, Obama asserted that it was always going to take time for the U.S. economy to recover after the crisis of 2008.

“This was not your normal recession,” he said. “Throughout history, it has typically taken countries up to 10 years to recover from financial crises of this magnitude. Today, the economies of many European countries still aren’t growing.”

But Obama’s appeal for patience will only make sense if a plurality of voters agree that the nation is moving in the right direction, albeit slowly. If his actions during his first term are instead seen as fundamentally ineffectual, the argument for more time falls apart.

Mitt Romney has been making the case for the prosecution.

In advance of Obama’s Cleveland speech last week, Romney predicted: “It’s ... likely that he’s going to say, ‘Give me four more years, even though I didn’t get it done in the first three-and-a-half.’ ”

In a worrying sign for Obama, even Democrats who spoke to The Hill expressed concern about how much patience the electorate is likely to extend toward him.

“If this is about patience, we lose,” one former senior administration official said. “We have to make this election about how far we’ve come and is the president genuinely giving it everything he’s got.”

Republican strategists, meanwhile, are scathing toward the ‘more time’ argument. They insist voters are well on their way toward deciding, a la Elvis Presley, that they need a little less conversation and a little more action than Obama is offering.

“Needing more time doesn’t move the dial when Americans are feeling that nothing has changed over the past four years,” said Ron Bonjean, a GOP consultant with long experience on Capitol Hill.

But, I thought he had done such a good job. If he has, why is he asking for more time ?

When does the left wake up and realize we could have put a white rat in the White House and gotten better results than what Obama has delivered.

After Jan 2013...he's gonna have lots of time to consider just how badly he's damaged this country and it's governing processes.

Time is out. I am not Mormon (sweet Jesus, no, I am not Mormon), but I will vote for the LDS dude without a second's hesitation.

That is not going to sell.

I can't believe he has the gall to even ask.

First...attack Bain...that does not work.

Next...attack Romneys term as govenor...that isn't working.

Now....plead.

This man has no sense of honor.

I'd love to kick David Axelrod right in his tiny little balls.

Time is out. I am not Mormon (sweet Jesus, no, I am not Mormon), but I will vote for the LDS dude without a second's hesitation.

What the GOP needs is a unified message because Romney needs the senate too.

Then we can start to make some things happen.

I am all for raising some taxes on the rich. One dollar raised for every four dollars of real cuts from the Federal Budget. Bring it on.

Reform Social Security....start moving to a semi-private system.

Lots to do.

President Obama is emulating former President George W. Bush’s reelection argument to voters from 2004: Be patient and give me more time.

Bush prevailed by using this argument against Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) when the subject was the Iraq War.

From the OP link.

Romney could present a unified message about cleaning up corruption in Washington. Have him start by proposing they cut benefits/salary to the President and Congress. If he gives his to charity and/or refuses to take the salaray, and challenges members of Congress to do likewise, people would take him seriously in efforts to cut back the government. And no one could accuse him of not applying cuts to himself first.

Whether he is going to use this tactic, I dont know. But I think it would be the wisest. People would seriously believe cuts were coming if our leaders were willing to cut their own salaries and benefits.

What the GOP needs is a unified message because Romney needs the senate too. Then we can start to make some things happen. I am all for raising some taxes on the rich. One dollar raised for every four dollars of real cuts from the Federal Budget. Bring it on. Reform Social Security....start moving to a semi-private system. Lots to do.

Yeah. 25% cuts in defense. SS increase in upper brackets for taxation to $250000, means testing, and increased age of retirement, 10% permissible for private investment. $8 in cuts for every $1 extra in revenue. Immigration reform with secure borders and death penalty for corporations that willfully violate the law against hiring illegal workers.

This was also from the article:

And a Gallup poll released last week showed voters still drape the lion’s share of the blame for the economic crisis around Bush’s shoulders.

Guess what is going to happen when Romney finally hangs this on Obama.

Can you spell LANDSLIDE ?

Obama pleads for voters

In a major economic speech in Cleveland Thursday, Obama asserted that it was always going to take time for the U.S. economy to recover after the crisis of 2008.

“This was not your normal recession,” he said. “Throughout history, it has typically taken countries up to 10 years to recover from financial crises of this magnitude. Today, the economies of many European countries still aren’t growing.”

But Obama’s appeal for patience will only make sense if a plurality of voters agree that the nation is moving in the right direction, albeit slowly. If his actions during his first term are instead seen as fundamentally ineffectual, the argument for more time falls apart.

Mitt Romney has been making the case for the prosecution.

In advance of Obama’s Cleveland speech last week, Romney predicted: “It’s ... likely that he’s going to say, ‘Give me four more years, even though I didn’t get it done in the first three-and-a-half.’ ”

In a worrying sign for Obama, even Democrats who spoke to The Hill expressed concern about how much patience the electorate is likely to extend toward him.

“If this is about patience, we lose,” one former senior administration official said. “We have to make this election about how far we’ve come and is the president genuinely giving it everything he’s got.”

Republican strategists, meanwhile, are scathing toward the ‘more time’ argument. They insist voters are well on their way toward deciding, a la Elvis Presley, that they need a little less conversation and a little more action than Obama is offering.

“Needing more time doesn’t move the dial when Americans are feeling that nothing has changed over the past four years,” said Ron Bonjean, a GOP consultant with long experience on Capitol Hill.

But, I thought he had done such a good job. If he has, why is he asking for more time ?

When does the left wake up and realize we could have put a white rat in the White House and gotten better results than what Obama has delivered.

After Jan 2013...he's gonna have lots of time to consider just how badly he's damaged this country and it's governing processes.

Time is never friendly towards failure

This was also from the article:

And a Gallup poll released last week showed voters still drape the lion’s share of the blame for the economic crisis around Bush’s shoulders.

Guess what is going to happen when Romney finally hangs this on Obama.

Can you spell LANDSLIDE ?

Great point!

Obama's pleas might fall on ears that would listen if he hadnt been squandoring all this time.

The First half of his administration he focused on taking over the health care industry and paying back his contributors with stimulus money. Had instead he focused on addressing the actual problems of our nation with actual solutions, he might have a stronger position to argue for more time.

But he seems more focused on imposing his will on the people and going on vacation. It's a hard sell.

Lol not a normal recession Obama says :lol: he's right it was made worse by expanding government's size (IRS, regulators) and spending and I forgot about tax the job creators. Lol yeah sure lets invest here everyone should say according to comrade Obama :cuckoo:

What the GOP needs is a unified message because Romney needs the senate too.

Then we can start to make some things happen.

I am all for raising some taxes on the rich. One dollar raised for every four dollars of real cuts from the Federal Budget. Bring it on.

Reform Social Security....start moving to a semi-private system.

Lots to do.

A Republican president with a Republican controlled congress? That's as bad as democrat controlled congress and white house.

Obama's pleas might fall on ears that would listen if he hadnt been squandoring all this time.

The First half of his administration he focused on taking over the health care industry and paying back his contributors with stimulus money. Had instead he focused on addressing the actual problems of our nation with actual solutions, he might have a stronger position to argue for more time.

But he seems more focused on imposing his will on the people and going on vacation. It's a hard sell.

How right you are.....

He has never looked strong. Even his "great speeches" (which I find boring with all his dramatic pauses while he thinks up the next lie or waits for the TP to catch up), he has never come across as a leader.

In fact, he really seems to snivel and that is coming out more and more as he and his fellow snivelers are seeing their second term get the Royal Flush.

President Romney.....sounds so good...doesn't it ?

Forum List

Back